Connection Plugs

Another cyber-question

(mmm i think i'm abusing this forums... better to post in other section? please tell me if this is wrong section...)

I'm considering about "connection plug", i mean: plug used to connect some devices; in CP2020 conversion i'm making, are used to connect internal hardware (cyberware, ndDD) with external apparatus

for example for connecting internal neuroprocessor (with weapon co-processor) with "smart" pistol or with a "smart" veicle (w veicular co-processor) etc

How can i build this? i've thought was simply "special effect" for veicular, weapons, etc co-processor (builded like a SL bonus to attack, drive, etc)

But i can build a simple "special effect" as an item?

Re: Connection Plugs

Another option is Perk. 1-2 points is good.

If you're operating in a society where just about everyone has a Jack (secrataries jack into the 'net for work for example) then Mindlink may be overkill.

Think of it like Everyman uses a VR Helmet or Trodeset, but those with money, or just really want that extra bit of edge, or possibly because they just have a job that uses the connection that much get a Neuraljack.

A possible breakdown I've used is 1 pt - Standard Neuraljack; 2 pts - Advanced Neuraljack; 3 pts - Military NeuralJack since militaries (corporate or govenrmental) would probably have some form of hardware decription built into the jack so not just anyone can get in and drive a tank around. said encryption may be flashupgradable or possibly require a second type of physical keycode to engage a military item....

The only problem I've ever had with using Mindlink for your basic Jack is that it tends to prevent Everyman from getting it and thus detracting from the element of CP a little... Mindlink could be reserved for Extremely Customized Neuraljack.

The only problem I've ever had with using Mindlink for your basic Jack is that it tends to prevent Everyman from getting it and thus detracting from the element of CP a little... Mindlink could be reserved for Extremely Customized Neuraljack.

Good, but i not understand... why Everymen cannot get connection plug?

i mean, all cyberware are builded like equipment, so buyable with money, not points...

btw, neuralware are diffused, but much peoples haven't money and/or mental "flexibility" to cyber'up... in world of 2021 cyberware that "all people buy" is fashionware, not neuralware (nw is for manager or corporation employees who are willing to "cutting edge"...)

Actually, for some things it almost seems like Extra Limbs with a limitation. Of course, that's going to end up costing just a few points, so in practical terms, there's no real difference between that and a Perk.

The real question is, what do you want them to do, game effect wise?

Do they let you use cyberguns you otherwise couldn't, and drive without using your hands? Extra Limbs, only to use cyber-equiped equipment (3 points) Possibly Exact Range Sense, +1 vs range penalties, and +2 weaponsmith, (only to identify problems/unjam) all OIF, any smartgun.

Do they let you drive/fly/process complicated information better and more efficently than you normally could, ala Hardwired? Extra levels with combat driving/piloting/programming/Systems Operation/Security Systems (Most CP vehicles are hidiously complex, and probably have inherent -2 or -3 to rolls to start off), maybe even extra Speed, only for operating vehicles or system operation. (What kind of SPD does a Panzer or an Orbital Cutter have? Probably at least 6 or 7 . . .)

Do they let you jack in and make phone calls, watch vid, look stuff up, keep track of your finances, and generally do real-life internet stuff? (Also ala Hardwired, Voice of the Whirlwind) Probably a perk is good enough, as you still need a net jack. Figure out what a normal hand computer would cost for the campaign, and buy off it's Focus limiation.

Do they let you jack into the net, Gibson Style? Extra dimensional travel. This should probably be bought seperatly, as it's hugely expensive and not everyone would have it.

These don't have to be one-size-fits-all things. Hardwired's Cowboy had, what, six face studs? Most people could get by with an external headset, and a normal buttonhead only needed one or two, but if you're gonna drive a Panzer, you need more.

CP 2020 may not have been a perfect genre simulation, but games almost never are. It took the signature bits from the more popular CP books and movies at the time and cramed them together. The same way D&D ended up mixing tolkenesque hordes of orcs, Vance's super-high-powered spells, and low fantasy thief types all at once.

Charaters probably should have to pay for cyberwear with points, though possibly at a discount. Partially to keep things under control, (CP characters can get a lot of money, at least for a little while, and it's hard for characters to loose it once they've gotten it) but there's a pretty good in-genre justification as well. Getting implants is a fairly big deal, and it make sense that it would take time and effort to master them fully. Think of it like spending points to learn a skill.

Now, there's no reason characters can't pay to have stuff installed that they don't have the points to cover. Either they can't use it to its full potental. (for minor stuff like never bothering to properly chip in your "Kung Fu Master!" skill rom) Or they just can't deal with it. While CP2020's cyberpsychosis rules were fairly over-the-top, there's plenty of in-genre cases of too much tech causing characters to develop psych lims, or even physical lims.

People mastering, or being mastered, by technology is one of the core themes of the genre. That, and having sex with amazonian hitwomen and/or transexuals.

Oh, and get rid of Skinweave. It totatlly blows the genre to get superhero-style bulletproof skin with no downsides. :)

---

Interesting note: Walter Jon Willams, SF author and god, was one of the original playtesters for CP 2013. And Trish Ledeux, who would later, undeservedly, become the most hated figure in anime fandom, was one of its editiors.