Cybersnake

Dr Divago

Hallo again

a new idea born in this forum (thanks to talking with Ura Maru) to converting Cybersnake from CP2020 into Hero.

In CP2020 cybersnake is an independent cyberweapon that sprout from an "hole" artificially created in host body, and attack without control

For Hero i've builded it like an "Extra Limb"

Cybersnake:
Extra Limbs, Limited Manipulation (-¼), Reduced STR (STR 8 -¼), OIF (DEF 3; -½), Non Persistent (-¼), Illegal Cyberware (-½), Humanity Loss (2d6, -1¾)
plus
HKA ½d6 (1d6 w/STR), No END (+½); Illegal Cyberware (-½), Linked (-½), OIF (-½)

20 Active point

5 Real point

This idea transform it in a Hand Killing Attack linked to an extra arm; does'nt give additional attack, or like, but is useful for new things (like lifting object, or be used like a tentacle when hand are tied)

But new idea is to treat this like a "summon": user can "summon" cybersnake, that he can attack independently, give "extra attack" (instead is cybersnake who attack of his own, so no rules breaking) and is not usable for other than he's programmed

In this second version, i can create different type of cybersnakes, even resuming Eviscerate attack from CP2013...

What do you think about?

How can i build a "creature" that is tied to host body?

and more...

Re: Cybersnake

Duplication would give the character complete control. :) This was how the Hydra was built' date=' in the HERO Beastiary.[/quote']Okay... but...

Duplication can create a duplicate "less powerful" than character?

i mean: Cybersnake is only a limited str, a dex to attack and an HKA to cause damage...

Okay... but...

Duplication can create a duplicate "less powerful" than character?

i mean: Cybersnake is only a limited str, a dex to attack and an HKA to cause damage...

Yes.

You would built the Cybersnake like a character, giving it all of the stats you would like it to have. The "Nine-Headed Hydra" power write-up, on the side-bar of page 152 of 5er, is a simple example, but it is built with the Cannot Recombine (-0) Limitation, because the extra heads are always there. Your Cybersnake probably doesn't need that.

One major disadvantage of using either Duplication, (or Summoning, which I don't like for this), is that the Cybersnake won't be able to attack in the Segment that it appears, but instead must wait until its next available Phase, according to its SPD.

Does this help?

One major disadvantage of using either Duplication, (or Summoning, which I don't like for this), is that the Cybersnake won't be able to attack in the Segment that it appears, but instead must wait until its next available Phase, according to its SPD.

Does this help?

Yes...

this will cause a bit more complication, expecially if cybersnake have'nt same speed than characters, but not problem

only: this not fix my problem with livewires (see http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34288 for more about it)

Yes...

this will cause a bit more complication, expecially if cybersnake have'nt same speed than characters, but not problem

only: this not fix my problem with livewires (see http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34288 for more about it)

I think I might have a solution.

Build the Cybersnake using Duplication with the Cannot Recombine (-0) Limitation, so that the Cybersnake is always outside the host body. Then, when building the actual Cybersnake itself, give it Mind Link, so that you can freely communicate with it; and Desolidification (affected by any attack able to target internal cyberware), which would simulate the Cybersnake's ability to retreat back into the character.

Turning off any Constant Power (like Desolidification) is a free action (I can't find the page number for this). So whenever the character wants, the Cybersnake can shoot out of his body, and perform any action he wants it to, instantly.

How's that?

I think I might have a solution.

Build the Cybersnake using Duplication with the Cannot Recombine (-0) Limitation, so that the Cybersnake is always outside the host body. Then, when building the actual Cybersnake itself, give it Mind Link, so that you can freely communicate with it; and Desolidification (affected by any attack able to target internal cyberware), which would simulate the Cybersnake's ability to retreat back into the character.

mmmmhhh

appears a little "tricky"...

and much expensive...

Yeah... sorry.

Isn't your original build pretty good? Can't you do without the Cybersnake being able to attack on its own?

Well, my original idea was to build cybersnake not independent, even 'cause i dislike idea that cybersnake are independent anda ttack of his own...

a friend of mine (my maser of old CP2020, to be honest) say that is ok cybersnake NON independent...

i was only curious how can i build a more "adeherent with original concept" cybersnake...

You could possibly also use Trigger. The new fleshed out options for this Advantage can build a wide variety of things. So maybe Trigger: reseting is a Zero-Phase (not Free) Action, OIF/Restrainable/Cyberware, etc.

BTW, I'm not sure about the Illegal Cyberware Limitation. Do you have an example of this being used in an official build somewhere? Otherwise I'd be inclined to make the, "Illegal," part of it a Social or Watched/Hunted Disadvantage rather than a Limitation on the Power itself. Maybe I am misinterpreting it, though; does this Limitation give some kind of non-social problems, such as Activation Rolls, partial No Conscious Control, or whatever?

You could possibly also use Trigger. The new fleshed out options for this Advantage can build a wide variety of things. So maybe Trigger: reseting is a Zero-Phase (not Free) Action' date=' OIF/Restrainable/Cyberware, etc.[/quote']I'm not sure i've correctly understood...

please, can you explain more in detail?

BTW' date=' I'm not sure about the Illegal Cyberware Limitation. Do you have an example of this being used in an official build somewhere? Otherwise I'd be inclined to make the, "Illegal," part of it a Social or Watched/Hunted Disadvantage rather than a Limitation on the Power itself. Maybe I am misinterpreting it, though; does this Limitation give some kind of non-social problems, such as Activation Rolls, partial No Conscious Control, or whatever?[/quote']Okay okay you're fine

Limitation is no "illegal", but "illegal cyberware".

I'll explain:

Cyberware is a cross limitation, that include:

1) Restrainable: all cyberware are restrainable

2) EMP damage: cyberware are susceptible to EMP damage

3) Replaced Body part: if cyberware goes away (maybe broken, "dispelled" by EMP, or like) user gain a physical limitation until cybeware are repaired/rebought/reinstalled

4) Pain Emulation: all cyberware emulate pain and sensations to prevent big alienation (and to prevent some suicidal/illag activities)

5) Law Registration: all cyberware are registered in police/LEDiv/Interpol archives (Law Enforcement Division or LEDiv is an operative USA Organisation born by the fusion between FBI, CIA and DEA)

All this minor limitation are "grouped" in a single limitation, called "Cyberware" (in similar manner to Fantasy Hero's "Spell Limitation")

Some Cyberware are bought in illegal black market, so (4) and (5) are'nt present; this cyberware bear limitation "Illegal Cyberware" to represent that

A) is illegal, so not registered

B) cannot be bought in normal shop

C) all other limitation of Cyberware applies

In short:

If cyberware are not elettronic, mechanic, dispellable, etc, are Restrainable (-¼)

If are elettronic, mechanic, dispellable, registered, etc, are Cyberware (-½)

If are cyberware, but is illegal, is Illegal Cyberware (-½)

Well, in Hardwired, Sarah couldn’t breathe while the cybersnake was active, so you might want it to cost the user some end every phase it’s active. A Side Effect (no recoveries) would be more accurate, but would take a bit more math.

I don’t think you need the ‘Extra Limb.’ I don’t think it can do anything except kill people. I’d give it the 1/4 Indirect advantage instead. That way you can use it with no problems when grabbing someone or when grabbed. Still takes an extra phase after grabbing, but that’s to the good, I think. .

(I don’t think you can take ‘non-persistent’ on extra limbs, anyway. What’s the disadvantage?)

The csnake was most useful as a surprise attack. A fairly dangerous one when fighting. And a VERY dangerous one if you can get the target to go to bed with you.

It didn’t seem independent enough to require a duplicate or summon, though. Maybe a +1 or 2 skill level bonus to reflect it weaving around.

So,

8 (25) Cybersnake Rake 1d6+1 HKA, Indirect:No Striker (+1/4), STR doesn’t add (-1/2), Side Effect: Can’t talk, No recoveries on phases it’s used or the phase after (Always, Minor, -1/2)

AND

7 (20) Say Hello To My Little Friend!: +4 OCV w’ Cybersnake, One Recoverable, restricted Charge (-1 1/2) Only vs. targets that don’t know about csnake (-1/2)

So, 15 points. Less, once you add your customized cyberware limits. You’ve got a reasonable chance of taking out an eye as long as they don’t know it’s coming. Even if they do, it’s a nice backup attack, especially after that big guy grabs you.

The Kiss of Death’s a bit harder. I don’t like either of the obvious ways.

Continuous (+1) on Csnake Rake, ‘only as long as grab is maintained’ (-1/2) and use the fact that the target’s usually willing to let you hit the unarmored ‘inside of the mouth’ location. (same stats as the ‘eye’ from Dark Champions?)

Does a continuous attack stick on the same hit location every phase? I have no idea if there’s an official ruling on that, but this type of shenanigans seems like an excellent reason to say it doesn’t.

NND, Does Body, and Continuous on the CS rake isn’t much better, because the ‘defenses’ mostly come down to not being hit in the first place. It’s hugely more expensive, though, so that kind of makes up for it.

The best way is probably:

15 (45) Roto-Rooter of Death: 3d6 HKA, Delayed effect: Full Turn, No Stacking (-1/2), STR Doesn’t Add (-1/2), Side Effect: Can’t talk, No recoveries on phases it’s used or the phase after (Always, Minor, -1/2) Must Maintain Grab (-1/2)

THEN use the fact that the target is usually willing to let you hit an unarmored, x2 Body hit location, and start digging, 2d6 K on phases 3, 6, 9, and finally 12. 21 average body should be enough to rip out anyone’s heart, as long as you don’t have to gouge through the armor first, and don’t pass out from End starvation.

You can also grab someone and have it slowly rip through their armor in a normal fight, which would be less effective, but still pretty good.

So, all together now:

26 (45) Cybersnake: Multipower, Restrainable (-1/4), Side Effect: Can’t talk, No recoveries on phases it’s used or the phase after (Always, Minor, -1/2)

2u (25) Rake 1d6+1 HKA, STR doesn’t add (-1/2)

1u (20) Say Hello To My Little Friend!: +4 OCV w’ Cybersnake, One Recoverable, restricted Charge (-1 1/2) Only vs. targets that don’t know about csnake (-1/2)

2 (45)Roto-Rooter of Death: 3d6 HKA, Delayed effect: Full Turn, No Stacking (-1/2), STR Doesn’t Add (-1/2), Must Maintain Grab (-1/2)

Of course, you actually lose one point buying it as a multipower, but you could probably stack another advantage or two on the pool total. Or you could buy it separately, which would let you use the bonus OCV with the RotoRooter attack. Which would be moderately hideous.

---

“Watch out for snakes!â€

Well' date=' in Hardwired, Sarah couldn?t breathe while the cybersnake was active, so you might want it to cost the user some end every phase it?s active. A Side Effect (no recoveries) would be more accurate, but would take a bit more math.[/quote']Well, this maybe only if snakey are inserted in mouth; csnake may be inserted even in special crafted support inside shoulder or similiar

btw, i don't like idea that csnake limit breathing possibility: 2 cm is too tiny to block breath, i suppose...

(I don?t think you can take ?non-persistent? on extra limbs' date=' anyway. What?s the disadvantage?)[/quote']If you fall unconscious it disappear? It must be activated before can used?

The csnake was most useful as a surprise attack. A fairly dangerous one when fighting. And a VERY dangerous one if you can get the target to go to bed with you.
In this case i will give surprise bonuses and/or surprise attack...

Good idea to make it indirect

15 (45) Roto-Rooter of Death: 3d6 HKA' date=' Delayed effect: Full Turn, No Stacking (-1/2), STR Doesn?t Add (-1/2), Side Effect: Can?t talk, No recoveries on phases it?s used or the phase after (Always, Minor, -1/2) Must Maintain Grab (-1/2)[/quote']This is some sort of eviscerate attack not present in CP2020, right?

It doesn't sound like this needs to be made Indirect. You can normally have a power be defined as originating from a point on your body other than your hands with no Advantage. You buy Indirect if you want to be able to change where the power originates (say, have it installed once but it can open a cavity in various locations on your body from which to attack).