Lil' Slugger Question

shadow_walker

Re: Lil' Slugger Question

Does anyone here watch Paranoia Agent on cartoon network's toonami?? I think having a character based off Lil' Slugger would be a interesting plot hook or just a random encounter for a dark champions game.

Yeah, that'd be a great non-standard Normals game, if you can find a way to shift the focus away from the people who are being attacked and onto those who are investigating the crime. I mean, it can't just be running from one crime scene to another without getting anywhere, which is pretty much what the cops on the show do, and it can't be an episodic series of introspective vignettes with a constantly-changing roster of solo PCs, either.

However, I feel I should point out that it's not on Toonami; it's on the Saturday night Adult Swim Action Block. Unless it's on at another time, as well-- my knowledge of CN is pretty much limited to Adult Swim.

But anyway, the important bits:

+Running, OIF: Rollerblades

+HA, OAF: Golden Bat

Lots of Stealth

+STR, Only To Do Damage, Only Against Unaware Target, RSR: Stealth

Teleport, Must Pass Through Intervening Space (he does just seem to show up out of nowhere....)

Probably Desolid too, Mike. He does walk through a wall after he kills the copycat in his cell. Maybe detect mental problems, and/or spirits since he is attracted to people who are nearing a nervous breakdown, and dealing with the three dead people.

CES

Interesting series but I prefer the creators earlier work Perfect Blue. A being like Lil' Slugger could be interesting but I don't how much of the feeling you would lose by taking him out of the over plot. All I can say the series makes a bold statement about escapism.

Interesting series but I prefer the creators earlier work Perfect Blue. A being like Lil' Slugger could be interesting but I don't how much of the feeling you would lose by taking him out of the over plot. All I can say the series makes a bold statement about escapism.

Well... not to derail this thread too much with NGD nonsense (hey, there's a whole separate board for that crap!), but while I liked Perfect Blue, I found the plot to be a little familiar and worn. The Split Personality premise (either variation: you think it's two people but it's not, or you think it's one person but it's two) is right up there with the Messiah premise ("So... the prophecy is true!") as one of the most overused in the past, say, ten years. Gorgeous look to it, even if I find the idea of a Japanese girl pop band in tafetta babydoll dresses laughable (even though I'm sure that's plausible in Japan-- whatever, I'm laughing).

But anyway.

If I were to make Li'l Slugger as an NPC, I wouldn't bother giving him the Enhanced Senses/Mind Scan/Clairsentience necessary to figure out who to attack and where. As a viewer, I still don't know how he finds his victims, so as a GM I'd be reluctant to just make stuff up. For all I know, someone's directing his actions.

However, if he were a PC... okay, there's the game!

The only problem I see with Lil' Slugger is how do you work him into a game if he's not one of the PC's. My thought was instantly with him as a villain, as a long term villain he's going to be nigh impossible to track down and deal with. His victims are completely random, with little or no evidence left behind.

As a one-shot character, might be a good idea. A lunatic running around the city smashing peoples heads in with a bat, he's too fast and agile for the cops to catch, it's a perfect target for "The Dark Champions". Keep the action fast, the police chatter constant and the body count high.

But that's just me...