Freeform Magic

Guest taxboy4

Guest taxboy4

Hello

I'm starting to write up background for a Fantasy game but I'm trying to look at options for the spell system that is free form and follow's players wishes.

I.e. a Mage with knowledge in fire can easiy create a flame from his finger, heat liquids, throw a flame bolt, create a flame sheild, then a fire ball etc , cause a simmering of heat, etc etc without having seperate spells etc depending on the situation.

A mage with expertise in flight could just leviate, or leap or fly, or enable others to do the same....

Any ideas on how I apporach this - want to get away from d&D and x spell does x thing...

Re: Freeform Magic

I'd recommend a Variable Power Pool limited to effects of a given Special Effect (or set of special effects). You could require certain limitations be taken, or leave it truly freeform and let different characters (PCs and NPCs alike) decide what limitations exist on their magic. Which would result in a world of mages with idiosyncratic magical abilities.

Mage A must cast spells using classic techniques: he must use a wand (focus), gestures, incantations and so forth.

Another mage does his work by urging spirits to do his bidding. He uses incantations (to talk to the spirits), along with Requires a Skill Roll (he has to convince/persuade/threaten the spirit successfully), and probably extra time (arguing with spirits may be timeconsuming); possibly he has to do (or not do) certain things to keep in the good graces of the spirit world (various Disads or limitations).

VPPs give plenty of flexibility for this sort of thing, but they often go too far. It's pretty easy to end up with a mage who can do anything, effectively relegating the other characters to supporting roles.

What I've done is to build standard spells, using 5 different power skills as RSRs, and stipulated that a certain amount of VPP can be bought for each 50 points of standard spells bought. It gives the players some minor flexibility, in that a character with enough knowledge of air spells can improvise a flying spell, but it doesn't give them so much power that they can take center stage away from the warriors when the blades come out.

This thread has all the details of my system: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27845

And of course, if you want an all-mage campaign, then there are no warriors to take center stage away from, so straight up VPPs are no issue. At least not as much of one.

Here are a couple of free form type Magic Systems Ive developed:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/GreyHEROContent/PackageDeals/adeptPackages.shtml

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/GreyHEROContent/PackageDeals/spellweaverPackages.shtml

This Magic System is for my Warhammer 2e conversion, but by extending/replacing the "Lore" talents with your own versions its also very free form:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/ConversionWH2e/conversionWH2eMagic.shtml

VPPs give plenty of flexibility for this sort of thing' date=' but they often go too far. It's pretty easy to end up with a mage who can do anything, effectively relegating the other characters to supporting roles.[/quote']

They _can_, sure. But making sure it doesn't happen is the GM's job. Limiting the size of the VPP and/or limiting the SFX of the spells he can cast using the VPP will solve most such problems.

One option I've seen used in the Global Guardians games is that PCs with VPPs must have a pre-set list of about a dozen "standard" effects they can produce with the VPP. They aren't limited to those, and can add to them as the game goes on, but it does give you a good feel for the sorts of things the player sees his PC being able to do--and gives the GM some precedents for deciding whether new effects match the initial conception of the VPP.

Depending on how much you trust your players - both to not cheat and to be able to think fast on the fly - I'd say go for the VPP. Make each "I know a bit about..." a seperate Power Skill, but allow KSs to act as complementary rolls for adding. Make the VPP not require a roll to change, and either have an RSR for the power, or have a roll determine how "effective" the power is; -1 to +1 equals effective at the level desired, for each 2 points up or down, the effectiveness is increased or decreased respectively, but only by a little. Forex: you want to whip out a group leap boost, at around +8". You roll 3 under, so you can only manifest +6". If you had rolled 3 over, you might get +9" instead.