[review] Solar Smith and the Sky-Pirates of Arcturus

JmOz

A review of Solar Smith and the Sky-Pirates of Arcturus! by Jason “JmOz†Wedel.

Basic Information: Solar Smith and the Sky Pirates of Arcturus! Is the second of the no frill Digital Hero Adventures put out by Hero Games. It is a pulp style setting in the tradition of Flash Gordon & Buck Rogers, when rocket ships shot flames from the rear as brave square jawed heroes fought evil galactic overlords. It is only available as a pdf file, at a very reasonable $5.00.

Setting Information: You are a member of a Starfleet like organization called ASTRA. ASTRA is part of the USA and other world powers (of the 1930’s) also have similar organizations. You patrol the star ways from pirates, alien and terrestrial threats to America.

The Good: The first thing that comes through in this is that you can tell that Steve is having fun writing this, the fun is almost contagious. The setting is defiantly inspired by the pulp era of Sci-Fi, but it very original at the same time. The inclusion of the real world politics of the era (1930’s) should guarantee for some interesting story telling. Each race described is distinctive and original while remaining “Human in costume†that was such an element of the pulp era serials. Finally many areas have been left vague to allow the GM to customize the setting.

The Bad: Okay I will admit many of the following are nitpicks. First of all some more information on character generation would have been appreciated, specifically more package deals (ASTRA Officer & Rocketman, for example would have been appreciated). More information on ASTRA would have been appreciated as well. I would have also like to have seen the sample character crew to have been built using standard heroic guidelines, instead the captain reminds me somewhat of Doc Savage (or Buffy the vampire slayer for you youngsters), being head and shoulders better than his crew (197 points, compared to some who are barely over 100 points).

The Ugly: Finally I want to mention a couple of things about the product itself. I do feel that some recycled art would not have been a bad idea, but not necessary needed. My last minor gripe is the name, the name has very little to do with the product itself (other than Captain “Solar†Smith is a sample character), I would have preferred it to be called “Aetherial Earth†and then to have a separate book with the above name, or have another page or two added to this product and include it as a micro adventure.

Overall: 4.5 out of 5 Rocketmen, go buy it, get your electro pistol ready and defend the American Flag, Mom, & Apple Pie from evil fascists across the solar system.

Re: [review] Solar Smith and the Sky-Pirates of Arcturus

A review of Solar Smith and the Sky-Pirates of Arcturus! by Jason “JmOz†Wedel.

Basic Information: Solar Smith and the Sky Pirates of Arcturus! Is the second of the no frill Digital Hero Adventures put out by Hero Games. It is a pulp style setting in the tradition of Flash Gordon & Buck Rogers, when rocket ships shot flames from the rear as brave square jawed heroes fought evil galactic overlords. It is only available as a pdf file, at a very reasonable $5.00.

More than reasonable

Setting Information: You are a member of a Starfleet like organization called ASTRA. ASTRA is part of the USA and other world powers (of the 1930’s) also have similar organizations. You patrol the star ways from pirates, alien and terrestrial threats to America.

The Good: The first thing that comes through in this is that you can tell that Steve is having fun writing this, the fun is almost contagious. The setting is defiantly inspired by the pulp era of Sci-Fi, but it very original at the same time. The inclusion of the real world politics of the era (1930’s) should guarantee for some interesting story telling. Each race described is distinctive and original while remaining “Human in costume†that was such an element of the pulp era serials. Finally many areas have been left vague to allow the GM to customize the setting.

Pretty much right on the mark...

The Bad: Okay I will admit many of the following are nitpicks. First of all some more information on character generation would have been appreciated, specifically more package deals (ASTRA Officer & Rocketman, for example would have been appreciated). More information on ASTRA would have been appreciated as well. I would have also like to have seen the sample character crew to have been built using standard heroic guidelines, instead the captain reminds me somewhat of Doc Savage (or Buffy the vampire slayer for you youngsters), being head and shoulders better than his crew (197 points, compared to some who are barely over 100 points).

I agree with the need for at least a couple packaged deals to help set tone. Maybe each new adventure could include a PD or two. Other than that I don't really agree on the crew. For a PC crew they would all be built at a standard heroic point level, but this is Captain SOLAR Smith. The archtype rocketeer and so on. He should be larger than life (or at least the other crew members :D )

The Ugly: Finally I want to mention a couple of things about the product itself. I do feel that some recycled art would not have been a bad idea, but not necessary needed. My last minor gripe is the name, the name has very little to do with the product itself (other than Captain “Solar†Smith is a sample character), I would have preferred it to be called “Aetherial Earth†and then to have a separate book with the above name, or have another page or two added to this product and include it as a micro adventure.

None of these really bothered me. But I do have a nitpic. With PDF you are not really worried about page space like you are with a hardcopy. I think vehicles (they did) and all NPC's (they didn't) should have full size and complete character write ups with only one per page. That way you can print out the NPC character sheet and use it as a play sheet. Right now none of the NPC's are ready for use right out of the box.

Overall: 4.5 out of 5 Rocketmen, go buy it, get your electro pistol ready and defend the American Flag, Mom, & Apple Pie from evil fascists across the solar system.

I give it a 4.55 out of 5 because I have an irresistable complusion to "do one better" :D

Great review though :thumbup:

I think the product gave what it promised. It was a fun read, and probably the thing I'd like to run next, if I can convince my group.

I think criticizing something billed as "no frills" for not including art is kind of odd. The book goes a little beyond simple adventure and reaches into the sourcebook area, so I can see where folks would want package deals (I know I'd like them), but again I wouldn't criticize a product for leaving out something it had no intent or promise to include.

I actualy got what I wanted from it, and I plan to make my own packages anyway, once I have PH in my hands.

Wasn't the whole point to be frill-less? I thought all of that stuff coming out in a similar vein, most of which is adventure material, was supposed to be quick and dirty, the kind of little gemstones that one finds and puts into your pocket without someone having to go through all of the bother of shining it up first. If they did feel the need to pretty it up more, it might never have come out. I for one think the idea is brilliant.

I bought it, I have yet to print it out yet (old guys like me cannot stand reading onscreen) but on initial perusal it looked like a great read if nothing else. A solid $5 purchase.

Just to clarify, I knew it was no frill, as I stated in the review. You will also noticed I called my complaints nitpicks (small inconsecquential things), and rated the product fairly high.

Just to clarify' date=' I knew it was no frill, as I stated in the review. You will also noticed I called my complaints nitpicks (small inconsecquential things), and rated the product fairly high.[/quote']Yeah, I was simply underscoring the pointthat it was supposed to be without frills. Actually, your high rating is one of the reasons I decided to purchase it, thanks for the quality review.