Magic 'Gift' . . . ?

L. Marcus

I'm starting to think about - yet another - Fantasy setting of the High kind.

The thing that I'm wondering about is whether to include a Magic Gift Perk or not, and if I do, how much to charge for it. To make it easier for me, I'll probably use the schools and spells outta FH Grimoire I and II (the latter should be in the mail now!), with a spell multiplier of 3.

So, has anyone any suggestions?

Re: Magic 'Gift' . . . ?

I'm starting to think about - yet another - Fantasy setting of the High kind.

The thing that I'm wondering about is whether to include a Magic Gift Perk or not, and if I do, how much to charge for it. To make it easier for me, I'll probably use the schools and spells outta FH Grimoire I and II (the latter should be in the mail now!), with a spell multiplier of 3.

So, has anyone any suggestions?

Well, what would be your reason for requiring it? Are you thinking that the cost of spells and the Magic skill will not be enough of a control on spellcasters? (Are you requiring the Magic skill?) Basically, let me know what you want the accomplish and I'll tell you if I think the perk does it, how many points it's worth, and what (if anything) I think might work better.

Well' date=' what would be your reason for requiring it? Are you thinking that the cost of spells and the Magic skill will not be enough of a control on spellcasters? (Are you requiring the Magic skill?) Basically, let me know what you want the accomplish and I'll tell you if I think the perk does it, how many points it's worth, and what (if anything) I think might work better.[/quote']

One Magic skill per school, standard Skill Roll penalties. What I had specifically in mind is actually a . . . Well, maybe one should call it "points in reserve for buying Magic Spells and Skills"; i. e., you can substitute the points in the Perk (or maybe Talent?) directly for skills and spells after a few months of in-game schooling.

And, by the way, has anyone converted the GURPS Advantage Magery? How'd that look? Perhaps Skill Levels in all magic, or just one or three schools, plus the Perk Can Use Magic . . . ?

I briefly discuss the idea of using a Gift of Magic Talent in this document:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/shrikeMagic.shtml

under "Who can use Magic"

Also, the Aeldenaren Magic System on my site uses multiple Gift Talents to control access to Magic Powers.

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/MagicSystems/aeldenaren.shtml

and my conversion of the Warhammer FRPG 2e Magic System uses "Lore Talents" to control access to the various Lores of Magic.

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/ConversionWH2e/conversionWH2eMagic.shtml

My solution to this problem is to make it so that spells cannot be cast unless they are fueled by an END reserve. So in effect, no one can cast a spell unless they have an END reserve (or mana pool, or whatever you want to call it). So in other words, having an END reserve becomes the Gift or "perk". Those with this reserve are the only ones who can learn to cast spells. Some may have the Gift, but very weak (10 END and 1 REC over a long period of time) while the Force may be strong in others (100 END and 15 REC).

Hope this helps.

My solution to this problem is to make it so that spells cannot be cast unless they are fueled by an END reserve. So in effect, no one can cast a spell unless they have an END reserve (or mana pool, or whatever you want to call it). So in other words, having an END reserve becomes the Gift or "perk". Those with this reserve are the only ones who can learn to cast spells. Some may have the Gift, but very weak (10 END and 1 REC over a long period of time) while the Force may be strong in others (100 END and 15 REC).

Hope this helps.

Also a good approach. Generally, I would only recommend "Gift" talents for a Magic System where there is a desire to have a clear seperation between those who can work magic and those who can't.

Some Magic Systems have enough overhead involved that it simply isnt needed. Still another option is also the idea of a minimum buy-in, similar to martial arts.

All of these, and several other Access controls are equally valid tools in a GM's toolbox when they are designing a Magic System.

My solution to this problem is to make it so that spells cannot be cast unless they are fueled by an END reserve. So in effect' date=' no one can cast a spell unless they have an END reserve (or mana pool, or whatever you want to call it). So in other words, having an END reserve becomes the Gift or "perk". Those with this reserve are the only ones who can learn to cast spells. Some may have the Gift, but very weak (10 END and 1 REC over a long period of time) while the Force may be strong in others (100 END and 15 REC).[/quote']

Hmmm . . . That's handy . . . It could work.

Also a good approach. Generally, I would only recommend "Gift" talents for a Magic System where there is a desire to have a clear seperation between those who can work magic and those who can't.

Some Magic Systems have enough overhead involved that it simply isnt needed. Still another option is also the idea of a minimum buy-in, similar to martial arts.

All of these, and several other Access controls are equally valid tools in a GM's toolbox when they are designing a Magic System.

I had in mind G.G. Kay's Tigana, where magic is rare, but powerful. It would be a considerable plus to be a sorcerer, but also, if you are not powerful enough, the mob - who doesn't like sorcerers - might get you . . .

Also from Tigana, I'm thinking about that every sorcerer has to make a corporeal sacrifice - like a finger, or an ear - to gain access to greater power . . . Would this be a Limitation on the spells or just a Disad?

I had in mind G.G. Kay's Tigana, where magic is rare, but powerful. It would be a considerable plus to be a sorcerer, but also, if you are not powerful enough, the mob - who doesn't like sorcerers - might get you . . .

Also from Tigana, I'm thinking about that every sorcerer has to make a corporeal sacrifice - like a finger, or an ear - to gain access to greater power . . . Would this be a Limitation on the spells or just a Disad?

Im not familiar with the source material, but it sounds like a cosmetic, or flavor lim. I'd just write it in to the system and say that each increment of power requires ritual self mutilation, and represent this with a Distinctive Feature that all characters that practice that style of Magic take.

Im not familiar with the source material' date=' but it sounds like a cosmetic, or flavor lim. I'd just write it in to the system and say that each increment of power requires ritual self mutilation, and represent this with a Distinctive Feature that all characters that practice that style of Magic take.[/quote']

Hmmm . . . Yes . . .

Guest bblackmoor

I'm starting to think about - yet another - Fantasy setting of the High kind. ... So' date=' has anyone any suggestions?[/quote']

I don't know if it will work for your particular setting, but this is what I'm doing my setting-in-progress:

Prerequisites

Invoking magic is not as straightforward as performing a mundane activity; if it were, everyone would do it. To perform magic of any type, a character must have one of the following Talents:

5 pts.     Sensitive
   10 pts.     Aware

"Aware" permits the character to learn and cast spells, and to use those magical devices which are only usable by those with Magical Talent. "Sensitive" permits the character to use those magical devices which are only usable by those with Magical Talent. Both of these Talents may only be purchased at character creation. However, "Sensitive" may be bought up to "Aware" after character creation.

More info at: http://www.westguard.org/index.php?title=Rough_Magic:Magic

Guest bblackmoor

My solution to this problem is to make it so that spells cannot be cast unless they are fueled by an END reserve. So in effect' date=' no one can cast a spell unless they have an END reserve (or mana pool, or whatever you want to call it). So in other words, having an END reserve becomes the Gift or "perk". Those with this reserve are the only ones who can learn to cast spells. Some may have the Gift, but very weak (10 END and 1 REC over a long period of time) while the Force may be strong in others (100 END and 15 REC).[/quote']

Ooooh, that's a good idea. So good in fact, that I am going to change my current idea (above) to something along this line.

Here's a question, though: what's a good in-setting name for such an ability? I happen to like the sound of "the Talent", but of course this has a namespace conflict with game system Talents. "The Gift" seems to be pretty common, but for some reason it strikes me as... I don't know. It just sounds too much like new-age twaddle to me. Are there any other good words for this ability which sets magicians apart from normal folk?

Ooooh, that's a good idea. So good in fact, that I am going to change my current idea (above) to something along this line.

Here's a question, though: what's a good in-setting name for such an ability? I happen to like the sound of "the Talent", but of course this has a namespace conflict with game system Talents. "The Gift" seems to be pretty common, but for some reason it strikes me as... I don't know. It just sounds too much like new-age twaddle to me. Are there any other good words for this ability which sets magicians apart from normal folk?

Mystic Talent

Spark of Magic

Mystic Attunement

Aware

Awakened

Chosen

etc etc etc

Guest bblackmoor

Oo oo oo! The Touched!

That's pretty good. I'm looking for a name for the END Reseve, so it would actually be "The Touch".