Hudson City & Predators

FenrisUlf

Does anyone have either of these books? And just how good are they? I'm looking more at Hudson City right now (I *usually* do Champions, but I'm wondering if a 'normals in the superhumans universe' story/adventure might not make for a welcome change of pace), and the big HC _is_ a part of the 'official' universe as I recall.

And what about Predators? Just what sort of crooks does it concentrate on -- realistic gangsters and killers, Batman style wackos, or Sin City/noir style somewhat weirded out sorts?

Re: Hudson City & Predators

I love Hudson City. It is a very through city setting for a DC campaign. It should work equally well for a heroic (non-powers) game or a low-level street level campaign. I have run Dark Champions games using this setting for years (there was an earlier pre-5th Edition version).

Predators features a good cross section of villians that could work in either type of campaign. There are a lot of folks in the book many of which are mentioned, by name, in the Hudson City book. The villians are a collection of crime lords, terrorists, and independent criminals. To me the flavor is simular to Batman-style campaign but most are somewhat more low-key than villians like the Joker or Riddler.

Many of Predators villians are non-superpowered but a few are low-end supernatural types.

Thanks, Edsel.

BTW, are there any 'links' between Hudson City and the Champs Universe, even if it's just in the names of companies or the like? I doubt there would be, as the designers seem very intent on keeping a clear division between Champs and Dark Champs, but I'm curious.

(And of course, that helps avoid the rather obvious question, 'if you've got the darned superheroes everywhere, then why is this one place swarming with street hoods when they've been cleaned out from all the other cities?')

BTW, are there any 'links' between Hudson City and the Champs Universe, even if it's just in the names of companies or the like? I doubt there would be, as the designers seem very intent on keeping a clear division between Champs and Dark Champs, but I'm curious.

(And of course, that helps avoid the rather obvious question, 'if you've got the darned superheroes everywhere, then why is this one place swarming with street hoods when they've been cleaned out from all the other cities?')

Hudson City is very much a part of the Hero Universe, along with Champions and Turakian Age. Genre considerations is why no one ever asked those pesky questions. Why is Gothum City crawling with seedy low-lifes and never has cosmic level threats roll into town? Why is Metropolis the opposite? It's just genre convention at its finest.

FenrisUlf, here's the dilemma...

On one hand, anything I have seen that's done by Steve Long is, in my opinion, done well. Steve just seems to develop a product well, and although it's a complete and well conceived product, he leaves you just enough room to put your own personal "campaign spin" on his work, and do so with very little effort on your part.

On the other hand, I can't say the same for Darren Watts' products. Most of the stuff just seems underdeveloped, and not quite completely finished. Your going to have to work a lot more, and expend a lot more effort. Now before I get blasted by Darren (and the Darren Watts Fan Club), this is just my opinion.

What is it that you need? That is what you need to ask yourself.

Do you want a fantastic campaign setting for your Dark Champions campaign? If so, then purchase Hudson City: The Urban Abyss.

If it's adversaries for your Dark Champions campaign that you need, then purchase Predators.

It's not so much which one you should get. It's more defined by what you really need...wouldn't you agree?

Thanks for the advice, MisterBaldy (though I've never found anything wrong with Darren's stuff myself). But it's like this: I'm a completist. If I get one or two books in a series (whether it be RPG, fiction, or whatever), I usually make a major effort to get *every* book. Though I prefer getting some before others.

And judging from everything I've read here, I'll probably go for Hudson City before getting Predators.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just picked up Predators and I must say that over all the book is well done. Except for the art work which I feel is weak and poorly done. All of the new organizations are ok but none of them where out standing. I love the crime lords and most of the other villians. One idea that was not used is for a male serial killer who targets men instead of the guy kills girl standard. I'm currently using Hudson city in my own dark champions game. I think Hudson city is likely the best city source book ever. Except I wish it had more Location maps. Ferret..............

Artwork has always been Hero's weak suite. However, IMHO, when I really think about it the art is one of the least important things about a game book. I have many game books which really excel in glitzy art and beautiful pictures but after I get used to using the book I really pay little attention to the art. There are a lot of truely dreadful tomes out there that have wonderful art and those books are soon forgotten. On the other had if the game system is good and the information presented is clearly organized then the art really matters very little. It is sort of a, you can't judge a book by its cover, sort of thing.

Please don't think that I dislike all of Hero's artwork. It is really a mixed bag. There are some truely beautiful covers in the Hero games line. And although the interior art is always b&w there are some really good illustrations to be found. On the other hand I have seen some books (like Predators) that are lacking in the art department. But content-wise the Predators book is invaluable.