waiting for a good roll

Foxx!

Re: waiting for a good roll

Heroes!

I want to make a character who can know the effect roll of an attack before making an attack roll. If the effect is going to be lower than she wants, she can cancel the attack, but she still wastes her action and the END. The SFX is that she feels how much energy built up in the attack. She doesn’t know if the attack will hit or how much defence the target has.

Cheers!

Wow. SO Rules over Game. I have a definite problem with people who play the rules over the game. In this case, give it an Activation Roll. If the Act Roll fails, she believes it would have missed and she cancells the attack. If the Act Roll succeeds she believes it would have hit and make the roll. Precog is NOT perfect so the occassional miss on an attack she believe would have missed is just plain old luck.

Watch that slippery slope.

Heroes!

I want to make a character who can know the effect roll of an attack before making an attack roll. If the effect is going to be lower than she wants, she can cancel the attack, but she still wastes her action and the END. The SFX is that she feels how much energy built up in the attack. She doesn’t know if the attack will hit or how much defence the target has.

Cheers!

She should use standard effect and/or activation roll in that case.

The problem with this is that damage effect roll does not mean "power build up". It can also reflect interference and location of the impact. Two "6's" on a 2d6 HKA can simply be a better placed attack and not necessarily be a successful buildup of power.

If the Act Roll fails' date=' she believes it would have missed and she cancells the attack. If the Act Roll succeeds she believes it would have hit and make the roll. [/quote']

My reading of the original question was not about whether the attack hit or not but whether it was going to generate enough damage. I really don't see that there is the huge problem most people seem to be seeing.

Doc

She should use standard effect and/or activation roll in that case.

The problem with this is that damage effect roll does not mean "power build up". It can also reflect interference and location of the impact. Two "6's" on a 2d6 HKA can simply be a better placed attack and not necessarily be a successful buildup of power.

Hmm. Good point. How about this:

"Threshold" - EB: 4 Body, 12 Stun (4d6, Standard Effect);

Activation Roll: 12-;

+EB: +4d6;

Activation Roll: 12-;

So the power either has at least the, "Threshold," value (well, plus 4 Stun in this case, if you think about it) or does nothing. Do you still see the SFX if an Activation Roll fails? :think: Can't remember, but if so a version of IPE may still be appropriate. The value of the Activation Roll could actually be set to match (roughly) what the probability would be of getting the minimum value you want on all the dice (8d6 in this example). So in this case you could figure out the probability of getting 12+4=16 Stun and 4 Body on 8d6, and set the Activation Roll accordingly.

EDIT: Nevermind about Linked. My brain wasn't working. The EBs in my example are adding to each other (they are just increments of the same Power), so Linked isn't appropriate anyway. :stupid:

Well, who says we can't define the SFX of the power such that the Effect Roll--or part of it--does represent only the, "power buildup?"

Actually' date=' the other benefit of the power is to prevent the 'oh, crap, so many sixes... and that thug will be vapourized' type rolls.[/quote']

Not with the literal wording that was used, but I see your point, yes. :think: I'm really convincing myself that this is Dune Precognition after all. It just very much needs the GM's go-ahead. It is a lot less of a pain in the a** to arbitrate than a general use of Precognition, so I wouldn't mind too much giving it a decent Limitation value. Say -3/2 or even -2.

My reading of the original question was not about whether the attack hit or not but whether it was going to generate enough damage. I really don't see that there is the huge problem most people seem to be seeing.

Doc

The misunderstanding is prolly my fault, since I brought up a similar situation I dealt with in the past where it was about whether the attack hit or not.

:o

Everybody!

Thank you for the comments. I like McCoy’s idea of Standard Effect Rule with Activation. I also agree with Prestidigitator that a limited form of IPE is necessary. Zed-F pointed out my main wish with this power. She can hide her intent until she gets a good roll. Originally, I was thinking of doing this with Detect + Analyse.

Cheers!