Naked Advantages in frameworks...

Bloodstone

Re: Naked Advantages in frameworks...

I guess the real question is: Can you buy a slot in a multipower that’s only an ‘add on’ to another power that’s not in the multipower?

20 (20) Poorly Defined Ghost Mulitpower

2u (20) x8(more) Noncombat movement on flight

2u (20) Add Sight And Radar Groups to Invisiblity

2u (20) AP on Desolidification

2u (15) Affects Desolid on Ghost Blast EB

2u (20) +4d6 on Ghost Blast EB

2u (20) +20 Strength

---

Obviously you can with some powers, like Running . . .

I am not keen on the idea of naked advantages. OTOH they are necessary in the system at presnt. they wouldn't be if you made one simple rule change, to whit:

You can choose whether to apply an advantage bought for a power each time you use the power.

Except, naked advantages can also have limitations on themselves, and not the power in general.

I guess the real question is: Can you buy a slot in a multipower that’s only an ‘add on’ to another power that’s not in the multipower?

20 (20) Poorly Defined Ghost Mulitpower

2u (20) x8(more) Noncombat movement on flight

2u (20) Add Sight And Radar Groups to Invisiblity

2u (20) AP on Desolidification

2u (15) Affects Desolid on Ghost Blast EB

2u (20) +4d6 on Ghost Blast EB

2u (20) +20 Strength

---

Obviously you can with some powers, like Running . . .

You're not supposed to be able to do that, but I have seen it done in some examples for vpps adding to multipowers. Also characteristics put into power frameworks are supposed to take the no figured limitation.

Except' date=' naked advantages can also have limitations on themselves, and not the power in general.[/quote']

This is a good point, for example the Mystic Gunslinger who carries two clips of eac type of round on him at all times. Each NA "Round" can have the Charges Limitation with Two Clips Each.

you can't put a Limitation on the Variable Advantage of a Power, you have to put hte Limitation on the whole power. Why go throguh a kludge of "RKA, Variable Advantage, Charges" and 'Limitation' of "Oh, and he's only got two clips of each type of VA" when you can use the NAs to do just that.

You need to use the variable advantage over the naked advantage because the rules are very clear: when faced with two choices you MUST choose the most expensive. :)

Why MUST you?

That is the most ridiculous RPG rule I've ever seen. Even more ridiculous than some of the crap that Gary Gygax tried to foster off on the RPG community for over a dozen years.

As a GM, I usually encourage my players to take the least expensive write-up, so that they have more points remaning to fully flesh out their characters background and abilities. The more points saved, the better I always say...

Why MUST you?

That is the most ridiculous RPG rule I've ever seen. Even more ridiculous than some of the crap that Gary Gygax tried to foster off on the RPG community for over a dozen years.

As a GM, I usually encourage my players to take the least expensive write-up, so that they have more points remaning to fully flesh out their characters background and abilities. The more points saved, the better I always say...

Well then you're house ruling it. Such is life. :)

Perhaps a compromise? I can definitely sympathize with the ‘this looks too complicated on the character sheet’ argument . . .

How about setting the slot cost for a naked power advantage in a multipower is equal to the powers TOTAL COST/10 (or 5), not just the Advantaged part?

So AP on 60 Str would have a slot cost of 9u, not 3u, even though the multipower only costs 30 points

Actually, if you apply that, I wouldn’t have really have a problem with the example ‘adds to powers’ multipower I included above. Which is good, because if you’re going to allow NPA slots to ‘add on’ to non-multipower powers, you should allow other ‘add on’ multipowers

In fact, that would make a pretty fair ‘add on’ cost for NPAs all on their own.

Does anyone see any potential problems with this I’m missing?

---

The metarule in question might be better phrased: “Costs are based, roughly on the effectiveness of the powers. When you allow much cheaper ways of simulating them with other powers, it destroys the value of the original power.†So don’t allow cheap workarounds, unless you want to replace the power with another.

Or, even shorter: “The system is to be used, not bypassedâ€