Draining FF too expensive?

Just Joe

Re: Draining FF too expensive?

Why drain the Force Field when you can simply drain their END? :)

Why drain anything when you can have that 1 charge (difficult to recover), OAF, continuous cumulative transform for those tricky-to-put down opponents? :eg:

The problem here, seems to me, is one of the basic rules of adjustment powers, but not the one that is obvious.

F/x should be a default setting, not an advantage

As is I can take Drain Energy Blast and drain your Lightning bolt, and Jack's fireblast (both defined as EB's) but I can't do anything about Robert's Lightning bolt (It's an RKA)

This is why I use the following mantra with adjustment powers:

Everyone has Characteristics so you have to define the Characteristics you effect rigidly.

Not Everyone has Powers so you have to define the Special Effects your power effects Rigidly.

Thus no DRAIN Energy Blast is allowable. Only Drain Light-Based Powers FOREX. You can only effect them one at a time and can advantage to get higher applicability. The key is the SFX targetted.

But Drain STR is allowable and allows you ton Drain Defender's and Ironclad's STR equally without regard to SFX because everyone has Characteristics.

Hawksmoor

Aside: I used to buy damage reduction a lot until those silly new rules about finding weakness. Now, not so much.

What do you mean? I was looking at FW, it mentions find weakness has no effect on DR unless the GM so permits, wasn't it that way before?

Damage resistance v Armour

Hmmm...

1. Look and feel: no difference, the sfx of one and of the other can be identical.

2. Mechanics: no difference, neither costs END, both cost the same (if you factor in the cost of the base PD/ED)....like I say no difference EXCEPT how FW works.

I suppose the smart money buys both, so it will take at least 2 attempts to halve all your defences, but, as everyone has at least some normal defence, that is always likely to be one of the first ones tried.

Personally I can see little real need for armour as a power in a system that has damage resistance. Maybe this is an attempt to make them feel different BUT, as is so often the case in a system that looks at everything from the perspective of the game mechanics, it can lead to some pretty silly results. You can have two characters identical but for the fact that one has 10/10 armour and the other has +10/10 PD/ED and damage resistance of 10/10.

Hmm I suppose the other way it is different is against adjustment powers.

Maybe resistant defences should jusy be done as an advantage to PD/ED...

....what was this thread about again?