Earthquake Abilities

Duke

If a character had an ability to generate small scale earthquakes how would you go about designing the power? I was thinking possibly it could be an elemental control, though I'm not too sure if that would cover it all. I guess you could take a - to movement from the tremors, but you would have to put in some kind of clause that it only works on ground movement so that subjects of its radius that can fly are not harmed by it.

Also what other powers do you think could go hand in hand with someone that had an ability to create earthquakes. I'm trying to lean more towards manipulation of shock waves or vibrations then a control over earth or rocks.

Thanks

Re: Earthquake Abilities

If you want to make the opponents prone, I would lean toward some kind of Energy blast, NND (defense is being airborne or not subject to being prone), Does Knockback, Explosion, Personal Immunity, No Range, Limited (only to do knockback), Limited (max knockback roll result is 0)

The trick would be pricing the Limited Power limitation. I think something like -2 1/2 for the two since the main utility of the energy blast is being stripped off.

You could add double knockback for additional effectiveness.

All those modifier would price each dice at 15 active points (19 active points with 2x KB) , and at 4 real points (5 real points with 2x KB)

Maybe with continuous you could create a multiwave earthquake :)

I would suggest tunneling as a good form of locomotion - cracking the earth around you to do your bidding.

Back in the BBB, a guy named Montana had an area effect EB linked to an area effect entangle - the earth would shake briefly, and then explode in huge gouts of mud, dirt, and rocks.

Why not simply go with a change environment for the knockdown effect? It could have a penalty to DEX rolls, making it hard for people to keep their feet. I don't know that I would give a penalty to inches of movement, though; if they can keep their balance they shouldn't really move any slower.

An indirect EB to have something pop out of the ground (rocks, water from a broken water main, etc.) could make for a reasonable attack. Turning the ground to mud/quicksand via the vibrations could work too. (There doesn't even have to be water, it just has to be loose soil. Real earthquakes can sometimes do this.) You could also have an RKA, only against building materials, or a limited form of TK for vibrational movement.

i know this is a little complex but it works to simulate that your quake can open the ground

Earthquake: Teleportation 12", x8 Increased Mass, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Usable As Attack (+1) (97 Active Points); Can Only Teleport To bottom of hole Fixed Locations (-1), Linked (Earthquake; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -1/2), Only When In Contact With The Ground (natural earth, stone, and soil only; -1/2), no Noncombat movement (-1/4)

The Earthquake it is linked to is a

Earthquake: Energy Blast 7d6, Area Of Effect (28" Line; +1 1/4) (79 Active Points); Only When In Contact With The Ground (natural earth, stone, and soil only; -1/2)

so they get hit when the earth opens then falls in =)

Wicked those are all great ideas. Thanks so much.

I was also thinking at work today that perhaps they could place their hand down on the grown and send out a vibration that could work almost like a radar with anything touching the ground.