basic permanent stats

prismrpg

Re: basic permanent stats

Yup. When you're talking about characters whose base CV scores are about 3 to begin with' date=' fighting opponents of CV 2-4, those +2 CSLs make a big difference.[/quote']

The roll of the dice does more of an difference in my oppinion.

The lower the pc start point the more does the dice have to say for the result of the combat.

For straight characteristic or skill rolls, sure, but that just means you alter the difficulty of the tasks the PCs attempt and the challenges the PCs are presented with. Modifiers should come into play here, and will often give even minimally skilled characters a decent chance at success. Damage rolls will tend to vary more for low dice attacks than for high dice attacks -- but you already get that with KAs anyway, even for your typical superheroic DC ranges. And the roll of the dice does not have any more influence at low point totals as far as CV or any other skill-vs-skill contest goes. CV 3 PC vs. CV 3 monster is 11- to hit. CV 8 PC vs. CV 8 villain is also an 11- to hit. Those two CSLs make exactly the same difference either way, and it is a significant difference.

I'll agree that the dice can have more of an impact at low point values in many parts of the game system than they will at a higher level -- though not in every case. However, your original statement was as follows:

Off course this low char point totals will mean that the characters are not very exiting or original.

And that is what I disagree with. There is still lots of room for distinctiveness, originality, and just plain having an interesting PC at low points values.

And that is what I disagree with. There is still lots of room for distinctiveness, originality, and just plain having an interesting PC at low points values.

Well I originality can be acomplished with background and personality.

I was only thinking in pure game terms, you know things that are influenced by the stats the most. Off course a personality can be interesting no matter what point it is built on. I meant in game, dice roll for dice roll.

Well, here are some examples from the game, to help illustrate some points.

We all started with a 3 OCV and 3 DCV, as did our opponents. This meant ALL of us were at an 11- to hit. Some of us bought CSLs in our combat specialties for a couple of points, some of us bought points in Dex (a much slower way of getting there, but they kept at it), and some of us learned how to do damage from farther away. Also, we've had a liberal sprinkling of magic items (which we don't pay points for), some of which increase DCV or OCV.

Now, most of the opponents still have an 11- to hit most of us. For the high-dex character, though, they're at 7- after all his modifiers. The rest of us have long-range capability in some form or another, so we don't need to jump in and get ourselves surrounded anymore.

Also, thanks to CSLs and magic items, most of us have a 10- or better to hit now.

When you look at the percentages for that, it's pretty hard to see why we'd continue to have a problem with combat, unless we're vastly outnumbered. Factor in surprise attacks, presence attacks and planning on the part of the players, and you can see why I gave up on the idea (as guest GM) of giving them a really good combat challenge without making it look like I was setting them up to fail.

Currently, they've whittled 34 people down to 12 and have them cornered. The mage separated them into 2 neat groups, and they're about to surprise them in a fairly small space where it'll have to be one-on-one fighting. I'm anticipating a slaughter of my higher-BODY, outnumbering, well-trained evil guards.

your starting power level' date=' SuperSquirrel, is the one i want for my character in the Hero rpg. as a GM and according to the rules of Hero, do you start all players at the same number of character points so that all players have to be at the same power level when starting the game, or can one player have a different starting number of character points?[/quote']

They all have the same starting value.