[Character] Carmen the Cynthian

Super Squirrel

http://aldaric.org/va/carmen.html

This character is played by Todd in my Valdorian Campaign. Like Eowyn, he is new to the system.

Carmen is a Cynthian Rider who was caught sleeping with the chieftan's daughter. For this offense, he was banished from the Cynthian Plains. Unbeknownst to Carmen, the chieftan's daughter is pregnant and the chieftan no longer wants him banned but wants him dead.

Re: [Character] Carmen the Cynthian

Hmm. I confess I'm not seeing much value in having a 12 INT and EGO, since the character is not taking any INT or EGO-based skills. Since combat is where the character focused his talents and skills, I would suggest dropping those two characteristics back to 8, boosting DEX to 14 and picking up an extra CV point in the process, SPD to 3, CON to 13 and PD to 4. That would give the character a better fighting chance, I think. Experience can be used to add on more later. In the beginning, concentrating more on character survivability would seem a wiser course. YMMV. :D

Perhaps Eowyn can check with her husband on this. I don't want to make any changes to the character without his consent. He wanted the Fearless Talent but couldn't afford it in character creation. Plus he wanted a fairly intelligent character.

He did want a fairly intelligent character even if he was unskilled. I would instead think a better change would be to drop his EGO to 10 to save 4 points. He could put one point into INT knocking his INT and Perception roll to 12- and with two of the points, raise his DEX to 14 for the extra 1 in OCV and DCV. With the one point remaining he could maybe raise is PD by 1 just to give him a bit more survival.

A 10 EGO would seem a bit more appropriate for a starting character, but since he isn't buying another point of SPD, that 1 point of DEX will cost the full 3 points. No cost break from getting a point back from SPD that has been bought up. So he could add 1 point to INT and 1 point to DEX. That would cover the four points freed up.

Point crunching: I would suggest reducing BODY to 11 and increasing CON to 13 - it's more efficient with respect to figured characteristics (+1 ED, +1 REC, +2 END). It would also be worthwhile to get STR up one more point - that gets you another DC with a broad sword, as well as higher PD and REC.

Skills and Talents: Shouldn't his everyman CuK be Cynthian Plans, rather than Elweir? If you are going to allow him to have Rapid Healing, you should insist on an a special explanation for it in his background.

Do you really want to allow the Sword Master talent (+1d6 when using a sword)? Valdorian Age rules strongly discourage allowing the deadly blow talent except versus summoned creatures. And 7 points is way too cheap for a bonus of 3 damage classes that applies in almost every combat situation. "When using a sword" is not a -3 limitation!

His example for justifying this disadvantage was, "If for example, a tavern wench walks by, he won't hesitate flipping up her skirt."

The way I look at it, it is like this. Most people have low morals in this setting. Even if they have low morals, some people will have standards and try to establish standards. Take the tavern wench for example. The tavern wench is going to be a particularly nasty job. Most taverns are going to need to keep them around or they will simply go elsewhere and find other ways to make money. If they wanted that treatment, they could be whores. And this is assuming they aren't doing that already. So actions like this will likely get the tavern keeper very quickly on his case. Or, if it is in an establishment where the wench happens to be a whore, one of the other patrons might get upset that this wench he sees in his mind as "his" is giving attention to someone else.

When you are in a rocky establishment, the best way to avoid trouble is to not draw attention to yourself. A low morals code is a very bad disadvantage to have for avoiding that kind of attention.

I like your description of how he can get into trouble, Amoral and impulsive would be a better description though.

Plenty of characters have low morals but know when to keep a low profile as well, on the other hand for him to get the points it must be a disadvantage and what you explained above is an disadvantage.. :eg:

I'm really looking forward to Sunday. I hope we get to see Sophia raise some undead. Carmen's player joked about if someone he just killed stands up again he might not realize it is because of Sophia and may drop him again. :eg:

We were actually taking about this over dinner tonight :D I hope I can raise me some undead so I can freak Todd's character out.

As for the changes, I'd just go over it with him on Sunday.