Reality Storm When Worlds Collide

Killer Shrike

So, I bought this supplement when it came out, but didnt have time (or interest) in reading it since I dont own any SAS material and am not predisposed to want any.

On a whim I picked it up and flipped thru it yesterday. I was a tad suprised by the HERO conversions of the SAS characters -- they range from around 500 points up to near a 1000. These guys are supposed to be the parrallels of the Champions? What gives?

Any one got some inside scoop on this?

Re: Reality Storm When World Collide

So, I bought this supplement when it came out, but didnt have time (or interest) in reading it since I dont own any SAS material and am not predisposed to want any.

On a whim I picked it up and flipped thru it yesterday. I was a tad suprised by the HERO conversions of the SAS characters -- they range from around 500 points up to near a 1000. These guys are supposed to be the parrallels of the Champions? What gives?

Any one got some inside scoop on this?

I haven't cracked open Reality Storm in a while, and I can't really look now 'cause my wife's asleep in the room and I need to keep the lights off, but if I recall correctly, simply put, the builds don't use Frameworks in general (except for VPPs for Dynamic Powers).

I could be misremembering, of course ... but even if I'm wrong on that, that's what happens sometimes with direct conversions; you wind up with some weird numbers after you crunch the input.

The other option, of course, is that 'parallel' doesn't mean 'direct alternate'. They both obviously fill the role of their world's Greatest Active Hero Team ... it's just that the Champions are more like the Avengers, and the Sentinels are more like the Justice League.

I haven't cracked open Reality Storm in a while, and I can't really look now 'cause my wife's asleep in the room and I need to keep the lights off, but if I recall correctly, simply put, the builds don't use Frameworks in general (except for VPPs for Dynamic Powers).

I could be misremembering, of course ... but even if I'm wrong on that, that's what happens sometimes with direct conversions; you wind up with some weird numbers after you crunch the input.

The other option, of course, is that 'parallel' doesn't mean 'direct alternate'. They both obviously fill the role of their world's Greatest Active Hero Team ... it's just that the Champions are more like the Avengers, and the Sentinels are more like the Justice League.

Particularly with regards to the American Sentinal, he's a direct Superman power clone (grafted onto Captain America's origin/hero role). The Sentinals are just heavier hitters than the Champions, though Dr. D is a much heavier hitter than Kruetzritter, so it kinda evens out.

TB

There's also a philosophical difference about iconic characters at work here. The Champions occupy two contradictory roles, Millenium City's premier superteam and examples of beginning characters. The boys and girls in SAS cannot be built at the default settings for new characters.

There's also a philosophical difference about iconic characters at work here. The Champions occupy two contradictory roles' date=' Millenium City's premier superteam and examples of beginning characters. The boys and girls in SAS cannot be built at the default settings for new characters.[/quote']

Very true. The Guard is explicitly the SAS world's premier superteam. Sentinel is known worldwide as one of the world's greatest heroes, a blend of Superman and Captain America. I've been told by M&M fans that Red Phoenix's sword is the largest attack of any character written up for the game; she seems to be an homage to Thor, Wonder Woman and maybe Captain Marvel. OTOH the other Guard members are far less formidable, and it's questionable whether Mother Raven could stand up to any of the Champions.

However, as you read through the adventure you'll notice that both the Guard and the Champions are taken out of the storyline early on, and don't reappear until near the end. They have very little direct impact on the course of the adventure, so their relative power levels aren't significant. The PCs are the ones meant to carry the action.