Role-Playing Exercise #1

Richard Logue

Re: Role-Playing Exercise #1

People seem to miss this bit' date=' so I bolded it. :)[/quote']

Yeah, there's that, but I didn't see a need to make an issue of it. If I decide to run this little thing at home (or even as an online game), the character ideas that come up would be looked at for such things. And really, there were only 2 really glaring character ideas in this thread so far that gave me pause. The rest of the ones you pointed out could be worked with in lieu of the creativity involved.

Meanwhile, with everyone's help, I've redefined my description a bit. Tell me if this is any better and more clear. Thanks again for your help here.

I want to run a sci-fi game using the HERO system. It will not be the standard Star Hero setting, but It will be a more-or-less standard sort of sci-fi setting roughly along the lines of Terran Empire technologies. PCs are humans; there are no alien races or sentient androids to speak of. The dozen or so inhabited star systems in the milieu form a sort of confederation of (mostly) democratic republics. None of the worlds are currently in open conflict with any of the others.

The story will begin onboard a private yacht gallivanting about on a pleasure cruise in the outer reaches of one of the prominent star systems. The craft is an FTL-capable, lightly armed or possibly even unarmed, spaceship owned by a very wealthy corporate baron and socialite (sort of a Ted Turner type character).

Come up with a basic one- or two-sentence character idea. (No more than that is necessary to begin with.) It should not be combat-focused, i.e. have extensive backgrounds/skills concurrent to professional military or security type personnel.

Ready... Begin!

Richard

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People seem to miss this bit, so I bolded it. :)

Manic Typist (Will this interstellar arms dealer just happen to have access to powered armor and some skill in its use "just for demonstration" purposes?)

Well, I had not intended on it. The character concept I felt was broad enough that while yes, it would be more than appropriate for him to have access to power armor, and a wide variety of highly powerful and highly concealable weaponry, it is also broad enough for him to carry little in the way or armament, or nothing at all.

After all, power armor is bulky and obvious, and so gauche! Not to mention I doubt that most business people would feel comfortable with someone so heavily armed.

;)

Come up with a basic one- or two-sentence character idea. (No more than that is necessary to begin with.)

I've noticed that some people tried quite hard to adhere to this bit; others (myself included), didn't.

Is that an issue, or are longer character descriptions (like, for example, mine) okay with you? I've got two more in mind, but they'll take more than a one-or-two sentence description to convey properly.

People seem to miss this bit, so I bolded it. :)

I'm looking at :

McCoy (Unfrozen Navy SEAL)

CSgeekHero (Stellar Frontier Lawman)

Ghost Angel (Navy Pilot)

Mentor (Cyborg Martial Artist)

and maybe a little at

Manic Typist (Will this interstellar arms dealer just happen to have access to powered armor and some skill in its use "just for demonstration" purposes?)

the several interstellar theives/spies/saboteurs get some caution too, depending on just how much "opposed intrusion" focus they have...

Actaully... I fail to see how a pilot and mechanic are combat oriented. Several positions with in a military organization have little to do with actual combat. They may be trained to fire a gun, but I doubt the navy expects it's engine technicians to actually fight. In fact, having worked with several, I know for a fact they don't and would get beaten soundly in combat.

Hence, I tried to come up with a character who would have had access to and learn about almost every type of ship and power plant out there - an ex-navy helmsman and mechanic. Explain how that's combat oriented?

I've noticed that some people tried quite hard to adhere to this bit; others (myself included), didn't.

Is that an issue, or are longer character descriptions (like, for example, mine) okay with you? I've got two more in mind, but they'll take more than a one-or-two sentence description to convey properly.

Longer character descriptions dont break campaign concepts. Specifically telling one's players to not make combat oriented characters and then having some of them show up with Navy SEALs and Cyborg Ninjas does. The latter is like telling six players to make 100+50 point characters and having two of them show up with 200+50 point ones. I would have thought you'd see the difference.

Actaully... I fail to see how a pilot and mechanic are combat oriented. Several positions with in a military organization have little to do with actual combat. They may be trained to fire a gun, but I doubt the navy expects it's engine technicians to actually fight. In fact, having worked with several, I know for a fact they don't and would get beaten soundly in combat.

Hence, I tried to come up with a character who would have had access to and learn about almost every type of ship and power plant out there - an ex-navy helmsman and mechanic. Explain how that's combat oriented?

You're right. I shouldn't have included your concept in with the SEAL, the cyborg martial artist, or the frontier lawman. I threw it in because it was a professional military background. A navy engineer probably isnt any more combat oriented than one of the several spy/thieves.

I would have thought you'd see the difference.

Oh, I most certainly did; but as part of his RFC (Request For Concepts) he specified a "basic one- or two-sentence character idea", so technically giving longer descriptions does violate what he asked for, though it may not violate the campaign concepts.

And given that I quoted Richard, the founder of the thread, when I asked for an answer to that question -- and not you -- he's the one I wanted an answer from, and will wait for.

I would have thought that you'd see the difference.

Unless, of course, you're actually Richard, under a different posting ID?

Jake Callahan, a low grade empath who uses his unusual talents as a grifter and con man. Unfortunately for him, that same empathy tends to backfire on him... He ends up "Robin Hooding" away most of his ill gotten gains, running scams to help people out of their problems, and can really only manage big scores against truly "bad" people. Most of whom would make VERY bad enemies, were they to catch on to him.

And given that I quoted Richard, the founder of the thread, when I asked for an answer to that question -- and not you -- he's the one I wanted an answer from, and will wait for.

I would have thought that you'd see the difference.

Unless, of course, you're actually Richard, under a different posting ID?

If you didnt want anyone else to comment, you should have sent Richard a PM. By posting it in a public thread, you're implying consent for all and sundry to comment.

Well, longer descriptions and ideas are great. The reason I had suggested shorter concepts is that they'd be easier for me as GM to work with and build upon with the player. The longer the character description, the more I may have to pare away from it to fit the story and campaign ideas I have in my head. And once you start telling a player "that's not going to fit the story, try this instead," you're going to start losing the player's interest.

So that's my rationale behind shorter beginning descriptions. That being said, longer descriptions do speak well of a player's creativity.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Enjoy the feast. And to our non-US board members, just eat a lot of food with family today! :)

Richard

If you didnt want anyone else to comment' date=' you should have sent [b']Richard[/b] a PM. By posting it in a public thread, you're implying consent for all and sundry to comment.

I posted it because I thought others might be interested in Richard's answer as well.

I must say, though, your answers have been quite illuminating as well. Between your snide reply to a question asked of the thread founder, and your attitude since, I have had my eyes opened about you in a way that simply hasn't occured before.

PLONK

Well' date=' longer descriptions and ideas are great. The reason I had suggested shorter concepts is that they'd be easier for me as GM to work with and build upon [i']with [/i]the player. The longer the character description, the more I may have to pare away from it to fit the story and campaign ideas I have in my head. And once you start telling a player "that's not going to fit the story, try this instead," you're going to start losing the player's interest.

So that's my rationale behind shorter beginning descriptions. That being said, longer descriptions do speak well of a player's creativity.

Good points, and understood. Thank you, Richard. I'll get those other two I mentioned typed up as soon as I have a chance (probably tomorow at this point).

And by the way...Richard, very nice thread you started here; it's certainly hit my creativity button in a way I'm quite enjoying. And for those who've contributed character ideas...thank you, because you can consider them officially 'swiped' by me, too, for later use! :thumbup:

Good points, and understood. Thank you, Richard. I'll get those other two I mentioned typed up as soon as I have a chance (probably tomorow at this point).

And by the way...Richard, very nice thread you started here; it's certainly hit my creativity button in a way I'm quite enjoying. And for those who've contributed character ideas...thank you, because you can consider them officially 'swiped' by me, too, for later use! :thumbup:

My character was one I swiped from a never played SH game, if you want I can dig out the more extensive build and possibly even the character sheet and send it your way.

I must say, though, your answers have been quite illuminating as well. Between your snide reply to a question asked of the thread founder, and your attitude since, I have had my eyes opened about you in a way that simply hasn't occured before.

PLONK

Plonk all you want. You're the one who started with the snideness in post 57, bucko. Not that you're listening anymore. I guess I just didnt tug the forelock, bow, and scrape enough to please your Lordship, "The Patron of the Pantheon". (ie I didnt back down when you were snide) :rolleyes:

Sorry, Manic (as well as to the rest of the readers). Its not what I wanted to do here, or on my Thanksgiving morning either. That last was all I am going to say in this thread about that.

Now back to our regular programming :

Concept 2 (for me) :

Patterson Fairbrother :

A somewhat absent- (or elsewhere focused-) minded art museum curator, who has managed to wrangle himself an invite onto this little cruise with a mind to work (oh so subtlely!) on the owner in regards to getting him to donate, or at least lend, certain exquisite artworks he owns to the museum. Aside from having very good artistic taste, Patterson is witty, has impeccable manners, and can be generally quite charming when he needs to be. Unfortunately, unless you have something he wants, or are likely to have such in the future, he sees no need to be witty, polite, or charming to you!

Plonk all you want. You're the one who started with the snideness in post 57' date=' bucko. Not that you're listening anymore. I guess I just didnt tug the forelock, bow, and scrape enough to please your Lordship, "The Patron of the Pantheon". (ie I didnt back down when you were snide) :rolleyes:[/quote']

I hadn't actually hit "Ignore" yet; I got distracted by another thread. Rest assured, I'm about to rectify that oversight.

I don't expect any bowing & scraping from anyone based on any kind of rep, rep power, or anything remotely like it, and never will. And for the record, the 'snideness' started in post #55, not #57; perhaps you remember it, because you posted it?

You can't call my post -- which used the same phrase -- snide without lumping yourself in the same basket, "bucko". All you're doing here is confirming what I said I'd already realized, and in front of everyone else. Perhaps I should thank you for that. :)

In any case, as noted I will resume my contributions of character ideas to this thread when I have the chance to write them up properly. Until then, thank you everyone else for your contributions, and now I'm off to do the rectifying of the oversight I mentioned. :)

Concept 3 (for me) :

Brian "Bri" Turner

The 'troubled' son of the tycoon/socialite, who has been dragged along on this trip by his father supposedly so the two of them can spend some time together. Brian, ever suspicious, doubts that this is the real reason, since his father has invited so many other people along, and has been underhanded about his motives before. Usually he counters whatever he perceives his father's intention to be by either by being willful, rebellious, and generally a little brat like only the scions of the unspeakably wealthy can be, or by refusing to interact, withdrawing into MMDNF (Massive Multiplayer Direct Neural Feed) games, which he is quite good at. Unfortunately, on the fringe of the system, the ship isnt positioned for MMDNFs, so its looking like it will be Method 2 this time.

Bri's main internal conflict is a resentment of his father's intrusion into his life (Bri gets to go nowhere without bodyguards, and meet no one who hasnt been security screened) vs his resentment of his father's absence in his life (Father always seems to be away on business, hob-nobbing with other people, and generally having no time for Bri). His conflict on this trip is between his non-interaction plan (sulk) and his curiosity about some of the other guests, who surely couldn't have passed father's usual screening...