Role-Playing Exercise #1

Richard Logue

An idea occured to me recently, and I'd like to put it here on the boards where it can reach a wide variety of folks.

I wonder what players will come up with for character concepts given (1) a lack of information about the campaign in general, (2) specific, yet generalized, parameters for character ideas, and (3) a "starting point" for the game's story. So, before I present the idea to my pool of players here at home, I'd like to use you people as a litmus to see if I need to rethink or refine or reject my idea.

So, just as if you were one of my players, read the following and participate. Also note that, given the limited amount of information (and choices) being presented, some of you will doubtless come up with similar concepts. That's quite alright as it also gives me an idea of what may be some of the more typical responses.

I want to run a sci-fi game using the HERO system. It will not be the standard Star Hero setting, but It will be a more-or-less standard sort of sci-fi setting roughly along the lines of Terran Empire technologies. There are no alien races to speak of, only humans, and the inhabited worlds in the millieu form a sort of confederation of (mostly) democratic republics. None of the worlds are currently in open conflict with any of the others.

Come up with a one- or two-sentence character idea. It cannot be combat-focused, i.e. professional military or security type personnel.

The story will begin onboard a ship gallavanting about on a pleasure cruise in the outer reaches of a prominent star system. The craft is an FTL-capable, lightly armed or possibly even unarmed, private yacht owned by a very wealthy socialite.

Ready... Begin!

Richard

(And thanks in advance for your participation.)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Role-Playing Exercise #1

J. Darlington Smith. A Navy SEAL who volunteered for an early experiment in suspended animation. Frozen in the final days of the 20th century, "thawed out" a year or so ago, he knows primitive survival, primative weapons, unarmed combat, and almost nothing about modern technology or customs. He was a media darling for a few months, but his celibrity is fading, Our hostess, the very wealthy socialite, has invited him along, thinking her other guest will be amused by either his stories of the past or his innocent lack (by modern standars) of manners and sophistication.

Role-Playing Exercise #1

I decided to post before seeing anyone else's answers, to avoid being biased by what others said.

No open conflict of a military nature, but in a confederation of democratic republics, there is probably a LOT of competition of an economic nature. And information is wealth.

I might design an industrial spy, possibly even with sabateur abilities. Want to know if the next system over is close to duplicating your latest tech? Want to know how to duplicate THEIR latest tech? Do you suspect someone's found an unsuspected resource in an uninhabited system and is exploiting it without registering it with the Confederation...and you want to know for sure, preferably with a map so you can cut yourself a piece of that action?

Maybe we can do business.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Enterprises

A high society thief/gigolo currently squiring around his latest target; he lives the high life at her expense for as long as possible before eventually vanishing with whatever portable wealth he can lay his hands on. He expects this particular cruise to be his "last hurrah" with Edna Uppercrust, so he's on the lookout for his next opportunity to abscond or find a new patroness.

This might work better for a cruise ship then a yacht.

"My name is Laxander Hy. I'm a musician. I make my way from starport to starport looking for any paying gig I can find. Sure you can instantly access limitless databases of music from around the galaxy, but no recording can ever replicate the soul of a live band. Ha! Like I said, sometimes it's tough finding a job."

James Gamma. A former frontier lawman who's seen enough blood. During one investigation, something happened that started his withdrawal from connections with other people. Finally, he has enough and is now on board the ship trying to rebuild his life and reconnect with other around him. The cry of "murderer" echoes in his darkest thoughts. Are those words true or is the good fighter for justice still inside of him trapped by his emotional cacoon?

Zeke Burchenoff, of Burchenoff Weapons Industries (Problem Solving through Powered Armor!), a member of the Burchenoff family, who are a major arms producer for most of the Confederation. He is high level contract bidder and salesmen, always looking to make a deal with the military, private organizations, and even seedier things at times............

This ride could be quite lucrative, with many very rich people about who want to protect their very valuable things.

Bial Astalon, wealthy galactic playboy who is secretly a master thief. Think Jim "Stainless Steel Rat" DiGriz crossed with Cary Grant's character in "To Catch A Thief". He steals not because he needs the money -- athough he's not nearly as rich as he pretends, and basically all of his money comes from his crimes -- but because living an honest life is just soooo boring. Despite it all, he does have an innate sense of honor and duty... he just hasn't found anything to inspire it yet.

bigdamnhero

"Raise the defensive shields!"

"An excellent idea sir but with just two minor drawbacks. One, we don't have any defensive shields and two we don't have any defensive shields. I know that is technically one reason but it was so glaring that it is worth mentioning twice."

The FTL yacht Rainbow Trail is not just cutting edge -- it incorporates so many cutting-edge technologies it should more properly be called "bleeding edge." Naturally, a ship like that would require a near-genius engineer to keep running at the height of perfection -- someone like Gerald T. Horn. Considered "eccentric" at best in polite circles and "crazy" most of the time, Horn is a genius, though his approach to problems is often...unique. Most 'normal' businesses and shiplines wouldn't hire Horn on a bet; fortunately the Rainbow Trail's owner didn't inherit his money, but made it himself -- and he's shrewd enough to know how useful Horn's skills can be, with just a bit of guidance...and a large paycheck. For his part Gerald would work for free just to have the chance to 'play' with the Rainbow Trail's equipment, but he's not about to turn down his rather generous salary!

A politician. Not particularly notable - a back bencher here on a holiday from her constituency. Strong willed and quick witted she has prime ministerial skills but lacks the ambition - simply waiting for a "nudge" into the public eye/to get her active.

A public servant. She has saved for ten years for this cruise and is still mildly euphoric from the send off her work colleagues gave her. She's single, not particulary attractive, and quite lonely. Much like the politician above, she has hidden strengths if she is just provided the catalyst necessary. She owns her own home, has one pet and tends to take public transport, rather than owning a vehicle (or licence). She works in the personnel section of a government department on immigration.

Michael T. "#26" Tucker - Former G-Ball star, lost an eye in his last tournament. Had it replaced with a cyberprosthetic, then had to retire because league rules prohibited any "performance-enhancing" cybernetics. He is never seen without either his old team jersey (in casual surroundings) or his championship medallion (in formal settings). He has an eye for the ladies and never passes up a chance to impress one.

He is a guest on the yacht by invitation of the owner (who also owned his former team), and Tucker feels a great sense of loyalty to his old boss (who footed the bill for the prosthetic eye).

Contrary to the "dumb jock" stereotype, Tucker is something of a computer savant... a fact he goes to great lengths to hide from the ladies.

Riddley Smith. Assistant secretary to a mid-rank political figure invited to the yacht. He is skinny, wears glasses, earnest, and dedicated. Unfortunately, he is saddled with a boss with a boss who is lazy, incompetent, and more concerned with feeling up women than filling out his paperwork and fulfilling his duties.

Thus, Smith is always rather hard pressed to do his boss' job for him and ensure everything runs smoothly.

This paper pusher is slowly being ground down into mulch... until one day his entire life changed while accompying his employer on a high pedigree cruise....

J. Darlington Smith. A Navy SEAL who volunteered for an early experiment in suspended animation. Frozen in the final days of the 20th century' date=' "thawed out" a year or so ago, he knows primitive survival, primative weapons, unarmed combat, and almost nothing about modern technology or customs. He was a media darling for a few months, but his celibrity is fading, Our hostess, the very wealthy socialite, has invited him along, thinking her other guest will be amused by either his stories of the past or his innocent lack (by modern standars) of manners and sophistication.[/quote']

Riddley Smith. Assistant secretary to a mid-rank political figure invited to the yacht. He is skinny, wears glasses, earnest, and dedicated. Unfortunately, he is saddled with a boss with a boss who is lazy, incompetent, and more concerned with feeling up women than filling out his paperwork and fulfilling his duties.

Thus, Smith is always rather hard pressed to do his boss' job for him and ensure everything runs smoothly.

This paper pusher is slowly being ground down into mulch... until one day his entire life changed while accompying his employer on a high pedigree cruise....

Wonder if they're related.

Dr. Aarifa Tazief, an astrophysicist who has taken great pains to have a rather average looking career. In reality she is quite brilliant and had developed a new branch of mathematics which she eventually realized could be used to develop weapons of truly frightening potential. Her husband was somewhat familiar with her work and betrayed her by revealing some of the implications to his connections in a government "black" project. She was brought (well forced) into the project and put to work developing prototypes. Eventually she found a way to sneak out. Now she is on the run and is the only person who can complete the work.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Well, since I'm me...

A servant robot. Not one of those over-engineered monstrosities certain people include, but one designed to be adaptive enough to handle the needs of all the guests. Psychology data banks, extremely creative (or rather, has a lot of interesting possibilities stored on file), always perfectly polite, is designed to be able to convince humans to follow it's orders (as there are non-robotic staff).

Has a personality matrix solely to increase the comfort of humans who have to deal with it.

Dr. Judith Harvey is a brilliant 38-year-old neurosurgeon and well-known enfant terrible of the medical community, who works for the major medical complex Rochester/Mayo/Tebrun. She's thin, fierce and bad-tempered, with unruly blonde hair and narrow gray eyes, and she's taking a leave of absence from the Complex to think over her options...because she's afraid she's losing her mind.