Let's talk about Combat Luck

Savinien

Re: Let's talk about Combat Luck

Where is this rule located? It seems familiar... And' date=' what about having armor on, too? Make the dagger and stirge attacks penetrating?[/quote']

FH, p. 163

If you have enough protection, you should be able to ignore stirges. Besides, very little armor is all-encompassing.

Keith "IMO" Curtis

What if the character also has a smidgeon of body armor (1rPD)?
Don't get too caught up in the wording about it letting the "first" BODY through. If it's clearer, think of the Limitation as something like "Cannot Prevent All BODY Damage (if there is any BODY damage for this DEF to apply to, it always allows a minimum of one BODY through; -1/4)"

So if a character has this sort of "Cinematic Resilience" Talent, and also has body armor, then the body armor can be allowed to prevent the "first" BODY of an attack. When the Limitation talks about the Armor from the Talent not stopping the "first" BODY, it means the first BODY that the Talent would need to protect you from.

(Champions gives this a -1/2 Limitation, but that build is only vs. BODY. If it isn't only vs. BODY, and stops STUN as well, I'd make it only a -1/4 Limitation.)

If you take Derek's idea about letting the first point through, and combine it with the opsional rule of letting 1-pt. wounds disappear after five minutes of tending, you can very nicely model the Indiana Jones sort of genre, where the character gets banged up and scraped a lot, almost dying, yet by the next reel, they are perfectly fine. It also decreases the feeling of invulnerability to minor attackes (like stirges or daggers) that comes with armor.

IMHO, this would also heighten the drama of each combat (you can litteraly be nickel and dimed to death), while still increasing long term survivability, since the characters will likely be starting the next combat in good shape.

I think the always lets 1 BODY through is really cool. This may totally replace combat Luck in my games.

Don't get too caught up in the wording about it letting the "first" BODY through. If it's clearer, think of the Limitation as something like "Cannot Prevent All BODY Damage (if there is any BODY damage for this DEF to apply to, it always allows a minimum of one BODY through; -1/4)"

So if a character has this sort of "Cinematic Resilience" Talent, and also has body armor, then the body armor can be allowed to prevent the "first" BODY of an attack. When the Limitation talks about the Armor from the Talent not stopping the "first" BODY, it means the first BODY that the Talent would need to protect you from.

(Champions gives this a -1/2 Limitation, but that build is only vs. BODY. If it isn't only vs. BODY, and stops STUN as well, I'd make it only a -1/4 Limitation.)

Sweet baby Jeebus, I think you guys just solved one of my Martial Arts campaign problems. I'd been trying to figure out how to make the PCs (and by extension, major NPCs) able to get hurt, but still spring back from it fairly quick. This is going to work nicely.

Thank you HERO System!!!!