TK Tricks: Cheers or Cheese?

astralfrontier

I'm playing a telekinetic character with very fine control, along with some limitations, and am always looking for creative ways to make use of this (since TK is one of the oldest power concepts, this is basically finding new bottles for old wine).

One of the things I'm pitching to my GM is the idea of the PC using his own body as a sort of puppet - he visualizes where it will move and what it will do, resulting in as much agility as he can accurately visualize.

Here's what I've been able to come up with to start with. Buy DEX +10 with the following: Nonpersistent (-1/4), No Figured Stats (-1/2), RSR: KS: Anatomy (-1/4), Side Effects: stress fractures or broken bones from incomplete awareness of body's limits, 3d6 damage to self (-1/2). Total cost is about 12 points, and for this he receives +1 to OCV and DCV (as far as I can tell, CV is not considered a figured stat, or any kind of stat?) and +2 to his DEX-based skills, as long as he maintains the power (and nonpersistent means it will be cancelled if he is Stunned or Knocked Out).

This is in the Champions forums because I'm also interested in any thoughts on other useful applications for this sort of power.

Non-persistancy

According to the book Non-Persistant makes a defensive power not work all the time (Like surprise attacks)

So it WOULD be a limitation [ -1/4 ] for the DEX boost

IF you become 1/2 DCV without DEX boost in surprise situations. ( You can't visualize that fast, maybe)

Re: Non-persistancy

Originally posted by Maccabe

According to the book Non-Persistant makes a defensive power not work all the time (Like surprise attacks)

So it WOULD be a limitation [ -1/4 ] for the DEX boost

IF you become 1/2 DCV without DEX boost in surprise situations. ( You can't visualize that fast, maybe)

Surprise is a point I hadn't considered, and in those cases it's entirely appropriate to be denied the DEX bonus (never thought I'd use that phrase in Hero). Good enough :)

I thought about my non-persistent objection some more. Perhaps I'm having a problem with non-persistent applied to a power that doesn't cost END or charges. Doesn't seem particularly limiting:

My character goes to bed at night. The DEX is non-persistent, so it goes away. No problem, since I'm DEX 0 anyway when asleep. Character wakes up. First action of the day - turn on DEX. Technically, even if surprised, I think the DEX would stay on all day unless stunned or knocked out.

Otherwise, characters who rely on force fields would be in *big* trouble. "I attack Force Field Man by sounding an air horn. He's surprised, right? Good. I one-punch him while all his defenses deactivate."

However, since you're only getting a -1/4 limitation for the non-persistent, simply change the limitation to something like "not when surprised" and all is good.

Originally posted by DoctorItron

However, since you're only getting a -1/4 limitation for the non-persistent, simply change the limitation to something like "not when surprised" and all is good.

I think -1/4 for a generic "when surprised or Stunned" limit is probably good.

One other factor I consider relevant, but not enough to count as a separate limit, is visibility. You can generally watch someone and gauge roughly how graceful they are, how they comport themselves, and so forth. If someone cruises around with DEX 30, it should be fairly obvious that they are something special. For this reason, while the character might turn on his DEX when "in costume", someone with a Secret ID would be in deep trouble if he left it running all the time (unless he tried to act clumsier than he really was, which is itself something of a feat). Buying DEX nonpersistent/limited should invoke this sort of problem from time to time - you find yourself catching falling girls and food trays (the "Spider-man" movie) and so forth.

It's this sort of thinking that makes ideas like this fun for me :)

Originally posted by Insaniac99

what about Supes? he did it REALLY easily! :D

This would be the guy who at one point was moving planets around and travelling in time, right? I'll consider my 200+150 PC somewhat less capable, overall :) That way the GM won't break out Superman-sized bad guys for me :)

Re: TK Tricks: Cheers or Cheese?

Originally posted by memesis

Here's what I've been able to come up with to start with. Buy DEX +10 with the following: Nonpersistent (-1/4), No Figured Stats (-1/2), RSR: KS: Anatomy (-1/4), Side Effects: stress fractures or broken bones from incomplete awareness of body's limits, 3d6 damage to self (-1/2). Total cost is about 12 points[/b]

Howabout instead of non-persistant: Reduced End to half +1/4, Costs END -1/2

That reduces the cost to 11, and uses 2 END a phase. Most characters can keep that up for a long time, but will suffer long term endurance problems and tire easily. So they wont want it switched on 24hrs a day.