Custom Rules Validation Question

Super Squirrel

For my Easthaven Campaign, I've run into problems with Magical Resistance.

There are two levels to play Easthaven at: Ultra-Low and Classic Start.

Ultra-Low is -25 points + 40 Disadvantages.

Classic is 50 points + 50 Disadvantages

The magic system in Ultra low is very simple. It is a 1 pt. Perk to be able to use a type of magic. You can use any spell you can study out of your grimoire on a regular basis. In the Classic start, you are spending a ton of points depending on what system you use.

Magic Resistance was, originally, a Persistant Dispel which ended up costing ~3 points per die. So, in theory, a person could spend 1 XP point and be able to cast massively powerful attack spells. Another person could spend 3 XP and reduce the effect of said spell by 1 to 6 points. I decided, Magical Resistance was needed.

My solution has two versions. Both act identical just differ in cost.

Magical Resistance is a Persistant Power that prevents any unwanted magical special effect from effecting the player. It is a -1/4 Limitation if it doesn't affect a particular type of magic. It is a -1/2 Limitation if it only effects a certain type of magic. It is a -1 Limitation if the Magic Resistance causes all magic, beneficial or otherwise, to fail. It is important to note that Magical Resistance is Persistant, not Inherent meaning it can be suppressed/drained/transfered based on special effect and/or certain spells.

In the Ultra Low Start, this power costs 20 Active Points.

In the Classic Start, this power costs 60 Active Points.

Now, I'm curious about what everyone's take on this power and cost is.

Re: Custom Rules Validation Question

For my Easthaven Campaign, I've run into problems with Magical Resistance.

There are two levels to play Easthaven at: Ultra-Low and Classic Start.

Ultra-Low is -25 points + 40 Disadvantages.

Classic is 50 points + 50 Disadvantages

The magic system in Ultra low is very simple. It is a 1 pt. Perk to be able to use a type of magic. You can use any spell you can study out of your grimoire on a regular basis. In the Classic start, you are spending a ton of points depending on what system you use.

Magic Resistance was, originally, a Persistant Dispel which ended up costing ~3 points per die. So, in theory, a person could spend 1 XP point and be able to cast massively powerful attack spells. Another person could spend 3 XP and reduce the effect of said spell by 1 to 6 points. I decided, Magical Resistance was needed.

Dispel is all or nothing. Suppress reduces the effect of the spell.

My solution has two versions. Both act identical just differ in cost.

Magical Resistance is a Persistant Power that prevents any unwanted magical special effect from effecting the player. It is a -1/4 Limitation if it doesn't affect a particular type of magic. It is a -1/2 Limitation if it only effects a certain type of magic. It is a -1 Limitation if the Magic Resistance causes all magic, beneficial or otherwise, to fail. It is important to note that Magical Resistance is Persistant, not Inherent meaning it can be suppressed/drained/transfered based on special effect and/or certain spells.

In the Ultra Low Start, this power costs 20 Active Points.

In the Classic Start, this power costs 60 Active Points.

Now, I'm curious about what everyone's take on this power and cost is.

It's effectively 100% Magical Damage Reduction. Take that for what you will.

I'm not sure I'd say "Here's the base cost, it has Limitations based on what it stops." I'd instead say "It costs 20 points to stop one kind of magic, 40 points to stop a few kinds of magic, 60 points to stop all magic."

Note also that your Limitation structure is backwards; it is more expensive to stop less magic. Seems to me you'd want it the other way around. Consider the likelihood that someone is going to be hit by beneficial magic versus harmful magic. Plus, if it's Persistent but not Inherent people who have it can shut it off to let the beneficial magic in.

I want to address one part, which I'll re-quote:

It is important to note that Magical Resistance is Persistant, not Inherent meaning it can be suppressed/drained/transfered based on special effect and/or certain spells.

So if you take the full level of Magical Resistance, which causes all magic to fail, it can be suppressed/drained/etc. with a spell? I'm scratching my head. You've got irresistible force and immovable object here. Wouldn't the Magical Resistance cause the incoming suppress/drain/dispel spell to fail?

Consider the likelihood that someone is going to be hit by beneficial magic versus harmful magic.

Actually, that's why he's built it this way. We have healing spells, enhancement spells, an armor spell, magical items that enhance attributes, and one communication spell. It's a HUGE disadvantage, in this world, to not be able to receive any magical benefits.

Actually' date=' that's why he's built it this way. We have healing spells, enhancement spells, an armor spell, magical items that enhance attributes, and one communication spell. It's a HUGE disadvantage, in this world, to not be able to receive any magical benefits.[/quote']

But it's Persistent. All the Magically Resistant guy has to do is drop his Magical Resistance, receive the spell, then put it back up.

With No Conscious Control. Josh forgot to mention that part.

That just means it's up sometimes and not other times, under the GM's control. Does it get the -2 Limitation?

I think what he's looking for is Always On.

But there's the other logical bit: it can apparently be magically dispelled or suppressed, but it provides full protection against all spells, including all spells that would dispel or suppress it.

Another question: Mechanically I can see, but what is the in-game rationale for someone having Magical Resistance and being able to cast spells himself? Or can he not cast while Magical Resistance is active?

Really, I'm questioning a couple of things: if beneficial magic is so common and so beneficial, why would stopping it along with all harmful magic cost you 20 or 60 Active Points, and 5 or 15 Real? (Assuming -1 for Stops All Magic and -2 for No Conscious Control.) Or, if there's yet other stuff I"m not seeing, maybe it would be best to post the whole shebang.

Ah, probably Always On.

I always mix up the terminology.

For now, whether or not one can cast magic AND have magic is a GM Discretion point, since he's classified it as a GM Approval Only power. I don't know about the dispelling question - the only thing I can figure out is that a nontargeted Dispel would work, as would the innate ability of any creature who naturally Dispels at a certain radius. Also, the power is on the PC, so casting a Dispel is doing so on the ability, not on the PC. But I'm not sure, and he's asleep.

As for the point cost part, Always On doesn't reduce the cost of it - that's how the power is from the start. The only modifiers one can put on the power are to reduce the schools of magic it works against, make it work only against one, or make it work against beneficial magic, too.

I think I'm still stuck on the two different versions of it, everything else looks cool and workable within the system you've defined.

I just don't grok the two levels and when, through growth, you've officially switched over to the other. Or is that not supposed to happen?

I think I'm still stuck on the two different versions of it, everything else looks cool and workable within the system you've defined.

I just don't grok the two levels and when, through growth, you've officially switched over to the other. Or is that not supposed to happen?

I have two character creation rules established. One is for Ultra-Low and one is for Classic start. The Ultra-Low is listed for nostalgic value only. When the current campaign ends, I'll likely remove almost all references to Ultra-Low start from the webpage other than a historical marker in the campaign setting.

So the 20 pt and 60 pt version cannot encounter each other.

I have two character creation rules established. One is for Ultra-Low and one is for Classic start. The Ultra-Low is listed for nostalgic value only. When the current campaign ends, I'll likely remove almost all references to Ultra-Low start from the webpage other than a historical marker in the campaign setting.

So the 20 pt and 60 pt version cannot encounter each other.

Ah ok. My brain has now corrected itself.

Nothing jumps out at me as off kilter, I'd call it good and go. But I'm crazy like that.