Detecting and overriding mind control

Re: Detecting and overriding mind control

I think it's all in how you want to define how Mental Powers work within the Game, does someone who is under the effects of a Mental Power still show up as Mentally Visible in the same way someone under the effects of an Entangle shows up as Entangled?

Is it affected by the +20 modifier on the effects roll if the Mentalist was going for, and achieved, a hidden result?

Once the GM and Players figure out how they want to handle ongoing Mental Powers what Detects one needs to determine if someone is under a Mental Power Influence will become clear.

The rules themselves seem to leave that imbiguous enough to let the group determine how they would like to handle it, which is good IMO.

Exactly, this is about SFX, not the mechanics per se. If, in your game, Mental Powers always leave a signature, then Mental Awareness from mentalists makes sense. If, on the other hand, subjects of Mind Control always act "different," then even a simple Deduction or other thoughtful attempt should give at least the idea. If there's a stage at which a mental suggestion becomes believed and embedded and there's nothing really there, then some fancy Detect or something more esoteric (Telepathy, read subconscious mind) applies.

That being said, this is also a great example of the kind of thing that evolves the group-think of a play group. It's rare for people to think all this out, for a specific game, in advance. The GM might spring it on everyone, and some people might not be on the same page. The mentalist guy in the group might say, "what a rip!" and proceed to explain why he feels he's being nerfed. This is just natural and okay - I don't think groups should feel pressured to think all this out in advance, especially as it's really the group consensus that develops AS THE CAMPAIGN DEVELOPS that matters.

I really like presdidigitators idea; use the tracking adder - perfect for detecting something after it has passed by :)

Absolutely, although it's more than that. With Tracking, you can get the "scent" of a mentalist from one of his victims and then "sniff" him out.

I'd think at the very least Mental Awareness would allow a Skill of some sort (probably an Analyze Skill' date=' but possibly even something like Tracking) to be used for this, even if Mental Awareness by itself isn't sufficient. (Hmm. How about even adding the Tracking Sense Modifier to Mental Awareness?)[/quote']

Yes! That's exactly what I was going to suggest: Tracking. The same way Tracking can be used to sense something that happened in an area, but it no longer happening there. "Look at the bent blades of grass. Someone's been through here recently." You could use the same thing for Mental powers. "Someone's been inside this guy's head recently." I think Discriminatory should be required to determine precisely what kind of Mental Power was used, although if the PER roll is made by half, or a sufficiently large margin, you could still tell, even without Discrim. And of course you might be able to tell anyway, just by figuring it out from the clues: If he's trying to defend himself from an attacker that isn't there, he's probably under the effect of Mental Illusions, etc. Likewise Analyze is required (or Discrim and a good roll, or even just a *very* good roll) to learn more info, like the nature of the mentalist who used the power, or precise details of the Illusion/Command/Knowledge read.

Of course, you don't have to do it this way, this is just how I do it. It is possible to be a mentalist without really knowing how mental powers "look" from the "outside". That is, your own mental powers will be familiar to you, but you can't necessarily Discriminatorily Analyze and Track someone else's mental powers. Buying these adders for you mental awareness can distinguish between a mentalist who can skillfully use his powers, from one who is a true expert on mental powers and understands how they work. Just like a Martial Artist might be very good with his own style, but doesn't necessarily have the Analyze Style skill. You could be an excellent marksman and not be an expert on ballistics. I could come up with more analogies all day long, if you like. But you probably don't.:dh:

Absolutely' date=' although it's more than that. With Tracking, you can get the "scent" of a mentalist from one of his victims and then "sniff" him out.[/quote']

Now that would be a cool effect...maybe as a limitation on Mind Scan...requires tracking roll...I LIKE this....:thumbup:

Just chiming in with the crowd... I love the tracking idea, especially with the assumption that through this you could become familiar with the intruder's mind secondhand and hunt him down!

Now... how much unspent XP does Touchstone have...? *grin*

Hey, I hadn't even considered that! Mental Awareness with Discriminatory, finding mental signatures and such, might actually allow the character a familiarity bonus when using Mind Scan and similar abilities.