F.E.A.R. Operative (Spoilers)

Nolgroth

Greetings. I was a little bored so I tried another conversion. This time, it's the unnamed F.E.A.R. operative from the recently released video game of the same name. If you are presently playing or plan on playing this video game, please don't read on. There are some serious spoilers from the game and I think that they may diminish your enjoyment of one of the greatest first-person shooters I have played.

I would put this character as a "Street-level" Champions character, DC:TAS character or perhaps a high-powered Masked Vigilante character. Enjoy.

F.E.A.R. Operative

Background: The F.E.A.R. Operative's first mission was the elimination of Paxton Fettel, a telepath in command of an army of cloned soldiers. These soldiers, called Replicants, were highly trained and subject entirely to Fettel's telepathic commands. The Operative battled his way through Armacham's various operational sites, learning that Fettel was the second of two prototypes. Telepathic images of Fettel taunted him with tidbits of knowledge throughout his infiltration and hinted at some dark origin. Similar images of a small girl were also present.

During the operation, it was discovered that the girl, named Alma, was the first telepathic prototype and Fettel was the second. It also became apparent that one of the research scientists was planning to release Alma, who was imprisoned at a top secret facility when she proved to be dangerously unstable. Once again, the Operative was sent to eliminate the threat. He was too late to stop the scientist from releasing Alma. The Operative decided to destroy the compound in the hope that Alma would be destroyed with it. After surviving mental assaults and apparitions made real, the Operative was able to destroy the coolant system for the reactor. He barely escaped the catastrophic explosion that followed.

Current status of F.E.A.R. Operative is unknown. Contact was lost soon after he was retrieved by a rescue helicopter. The whereabouts of the Operative or the helicopter are both unknown at this time.

Powers/Tactics: The F.E.A.R. operative is a special sort of anti-terrorist operative. Trained to go solo into hostile situations and eliminate terrorist threat, the Operative is capable of infiltrating a well defended area and neutralizing the threat contained therein. For reasons unknown even to the Operative, he has reflexes that are far beyond that of a normal human. In actual combat situations, the Operative has been able to neutralize several armed and highly trained opponents within seconds. The enhanced reflexes appear to be psychometabolic in nature and have a certain timeframe before they need to "recharge." The Operative can turn on or off the enhanced reflexes at will.

At full power, the Reflexes off the Chart power can be used for one full turn before running out of END. The Reflex Threshhold END Reserve can recover 12 points per turn until fully charged.

Campaign Use: The F.E.A.R. is built as a starting "street-level" Champions or Dark Champions character. His major power is enhanced Speed. He has a lot of skills relating to law enforcement and counter-terrorism, so he would fill that role the best. Obviously, many of the skills are added out of common sense, as most video game characters don't have an enhanced list of skills to round out their combat abilities. In many ways, the lack of knowledge provided about the character makes him an ideal template to build an actual character upon.

In play, the F.E.A.R. Operative would work best within a law enforcement/SWAT/counter-terrorist team. Since there is so little known about the character's background, it is feasible that he may be hiding out among the less reputable elements after the events in F.E.A.R. the video game. He would also make an ideal solo character.

Appearance: The F.E.A.R. Operative is never shown in the game. I imagine him of average height and athletic build. Due to his heritage, I believe he would have dark hair and dark eyes. He wears a leather jacket over his combat armor and wears form fitting gloves.

[b]F.E.A.R. Operative - [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
14    STR     4   14      12-       HTH Damage 3d6-1  END [1]
24    DEX     42   24      14-       OCV 8 DCV 8
14    CON     8   14      12-
19    BODY    18   19      13-
14    INT     4   14      12-       PER Roll 12-
15    EGO     10   15      12-       ECV: 5
14    PRE     4   14      12-       PRE Attack: 2 1/2d6
10    COM     0   10      11-
8    PD      5   8/16             8/16 PD (0/8 rPD)
8    ED      5   8/16             8/16 ED (0/8 rED)
10    SPD     6   10                 Phases:  2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
9    REC     6   9
30    END     1   30
45    STUN    12   45
7    RUN      2   7"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
4    LEAP     1   3 1/2"                3 1/2" forward, 1 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 128[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
11     [b][i]Reflex Threshhold[/i][/b]: Endurance Reserve  (80 END, 3 REC) (11 Active Points) - END=0
45     [b][i]Relexes off the Chart[/i][/b]: (Total: 72 Active Cost, 45 Real Cost) +4 SPD (40 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2) (Real Cost: 27) [b]plus[/b] +4 with All Combat (32 Active Points); Linked (SPD; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -3/4) (Real Cost: 18) - END=4
16     [b][i]Reflexes off the Chart II[/i][/b]: (Total: 36 Active Cost, 16 Real Cost) +2 SPD (20 Active Points); Linked (Relexes off the Chart; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -3/4), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) (Real Cost: 7) [b]plus[/b] +2 with All Combat (16 Active Points); Linked (SPD; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -3/4) (Real Cost: 9) - END=4

[b]POWERS Cost: 72[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
5      Accurate Sprayfire
3      Acrobatics 14-
3      Breakfall 14-
3      Bureaucratics 12-
3      Climbing 14-
5      Concentrated Sprayfire
5      Cramming 
3      Criminology 12-
3      Demolitions 12-
3      Deduction 12-
3      Interrogation 12-
2      TF:  Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
2      KS: Espionage World 11-
2      KS: Federal Criminal Law and Procedure 11-
2      KS: Law Enforcement World 11-
2      KS: Mercenary/Military/Terrorist World 11-
3      Lockpicking 14-
3      Persuasion 12-
2      PS: F.E.A.R. Operative 11-
5      Rapid Autofire
5      Rapid Attack (Ranged) 
3      Security Systems 12-
3      Shadowing 12-
5      Skipover Sprayfire
3      Stealth 14-
3      Streetwise 12-
3      Systems Operation 12-
3      Tactics 12-
10      Two-Weapon Fighting (Ranged) 
9      WF:  Beam Weapons, Small Arms, Flamethrowers, General Purpose/Heavy Machine Guns, Grenade Launchers, Off Hand, Shoulder-Fired Weapons
20      +2 Overall

[b]SKILLS Cost: 129[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
24      Contact:  F.E.A.R. (Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (24 Active Points) 11-
6      Fringe Benefit:  F.E.A.R. Special Agent, Federal/National Police Powers

[b]PERKS Cost: 30[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
3      Ambidexterity (-2 Off Hand penalty)
8      Combat Shooting
5      Latent Psionic

[b]TALENTS Cost: 16[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
20     Hunted:  Alma 11- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)
10     Hunted:  Armacham Inc. 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)
20     Hunted:  F.E.A.R. An organization created to counter "supernatural" threats. 14- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Mentally blocks knowledge of his own childhood (Uncommon, Total)
5     Social Limitation:  Harmful Secret- Alma's Progeny (Occasionally, Minor)
25     Social Limitation:  Subject to Orders that may cause character to be put in extreme danger. (Very Frequently, Severe)
10     Vulnerability:  2 x BODY Psychic Attacks from Alma (Uncommon)
10     Vulnerability:  2 x Effect Psychic Attacks from Alma (Uncommon)
10     Vulnerability:  2 x STUN Psychic Attacks from Alma (Uncommon)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 125[/b]

Base Pts: 250
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 375

Re: F.E.A.R. Operative (Spoilers)

I think that the operative should have also missle deflection (sort of a super dodge) or desolidification w/ a dex roll to reflect that he can slow down time a watch the bullets go flying buy around him and avoid these attacks for the short period of time (based upon his injections).

The game looks awesome but sad to say I don't have the graphics to play it on my own computer.

Bummer! :(

I think that the operative should have also missle deflection (sort of a super dodge) or desolidification w/ a dex roll to reflect that he can slow down time a watch the bullets go flying buy around him and avoid these attacks for the short period of time (based upon his injections).
I originally built the combat skill levels into the power to reflect that he has time to dodge and/or time to take very careful aim on his opponents. The dynamically assigned CSLs can be changed phase to phase, so when his is on the offense, he can be pretty potent and when he is on the defense, he is much harder to hit. This is especially true since he already has two Overall Skill Levels which can be assigned as CSLs as well, for a total of 8 combat levels when he is at max speed.

While the bullet trails are visible and the character can act much faster with his enhanced reflexes, he is nothing like Neo. The character starts out with enhanced reflexes, but they only last for a couple of seconds. The injections permanently add to how long he can maintain the enhanced reflexes and are found intermittently throughout the game.

The game looks awesome but sad to say I don't have the graphics to play it on my own computer.

Bummer! :(

That is a bummer, because I rate it as the #2 overall cool video games I've ever played, with Half-Life being #1 and Half-Life 2 tied for the #2 spot. F.E.A.R. does only a few of the things that I can't stand in a video game and those are easily forgiven compared to a pretty excellent story. In fact, if the story would have been better portrayed, it might have taken the #1 spot. But then, who doesn't like Bullet Time. :)

Incidentally, I made a Fuzion character named Bullet Time with similar powers. I figured it was about time to do the character in HERO 5th, so this character actually serves double duty. I still have to finish writing up all the weapons. Oh crud, I just realized that the export template didn't transfer the weapons. Grumble grumble.

Note that the END cost for the extra SPD is paid every phase, whether he would normally get that phase anyway or not. Also note that END reserves recover only once per turn, so he'll always get exactly 3 END per turn back in his reserve. (Even while unconscious.)

Note that the END cost for the extra SPD is paid every phase' date=' whether he would normally get that phase anyway or not. Also note that END reserves recover only once per turn, so he'll always get exactly 3 END per turn back in his reserve. (Even while unconscious.)[/quote']Precisely. I figured the total of 10 Speed could be rather unbalancing if other measures were not implemented. So he recovers 15 END to his reserve per minute. So that's what a little over five minutes between bursts of speed. Not entirely accurate in terms of the video game, but it is a translation of an idea. At 8 END per phase x 10 SPD, he exactly spends his END reserve in one full turn. Still enough to kick some major behind.