Worst comic book superfight ever

FenrisUlf

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Worst comic book superfight ever

Yeah' date=' but I do think that HERO mechanics are meaningless in mainstream comics.[/quote']Pretty much, but it's the easiest way to convey what I mean, and since I know everyone here will get it...:)

Heck, there's times I wished most of the folks on the Rumbles board played Champions, it would make describing things a lot easier.

What was the point of the argument and what was your position?

If you think it's bad to open up here, feel free to PM.

It was simply, who would win in a fight, Robin from the Teen Titans cartoon, or Batman from the Justice League cartoon. (I told you discussion this was nothing for me on the geeky scale)

my position was that Robin would win a majority, say 7 out of 10, due to better physical stats and punching power making up for any edge in skill Batman might have, and Robin having enough gear to counter Batman's usual toys.

Pretty much, but it's the easiest way to convey what I mean, and since I know everyone here will get it...:)

Heck, there's times I wished most of the folks on the Rumbles board played Champions, it would make describing things a lot easier.

Of course, the game mechanics can mess things up on occasion. For example, damage classes are, in my opinion, kinda mushed together in Hero. So that, for instance, the brick, martial artist, energy blaster and speedster end up doing about the same damage... whereas I'd personally expect the brick to be doing a lot more damage than the others (possibly same damage as the blaster), while the speedster and martial artist would be doing different kinds of things. So Hero, while a common language to us gamers, might not be the best thing to present such comic book fights in. I'm not sure it illuminates anything, except how the stats work out in Hero.

It was simply, who would win in a fight, Robin from the Teen Titans cartoon, or Batman from the Justice League cartoon. (I told you discussion this was nothing for me on the geeky scale)

my position was that Robin would win a majority, say 7 out of 10, due to better physical stats and punching power making up for any edge in skill Batman might have, and Robin having enough gear to counter Batman's usual toys.

I can see how that would get heated. :D Regardless of any particular evidence in place.

Yeah' date=' but I do think that HERO mechanics are meaningless in mainstream comics. This goes way back to anoher discussion wherein I agree basically with RDU Neil's comment that using HERO to model comics is often a blow in saying "wow, these comics just don't make sense." But now that's quite a tangent...[/quote']

Comic book characters are exactly as smart or stupid, weak or mighty as the writer needs them to be at any given time. There are writers who will have Aunt May beat Thor unconscious or intimidate Galactus because they think it makes a good story.

These writers are idiots.

This is part of why why I follow favorite writers rather than following a particular character these days.

The Teen Titans cartoon is more cartoony from what I've seen, with less serious results from things like explosions and less attention paid to physics. JLU Batman has no chance.

However, Bugs Bunny would crush Robin.

Comic book characters are exactly as smart or stupid, weak or mighty as the writer needs them to be at any given time. There are writers who will have Aunt May beat Thor unconscious or intimidate Galactus because they think it makes a good story.

At LAST! Somebody UNDERSTANDS!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to OddHat again."

I don't think that's relevant to my point' date=' I'm just saying that if he didn't have his suit on at all he is well removed from an opportunity to beat down any demi-god, by design. With his suit, I don't count his beating down of a demi-god as in the same range as Spiderman or Captain America since he's got, essentially, a weapon. Make sense? Or did I misunderstand your point/question?[/quote'] I was just using that as an opportunity to point out the force field thing.

Another tangent: And Iron Man has taken down Silver Surfer by channeling Silver Surfer's attack back through his suit and then pummeling Silver Surfer with it. The thing is it took Iron Man out in the process.

I'll bite :) Have you seen the Bob Ingersoll column "The Law is a ***"? He's a comics loving lawyer' date=' and every column deals with some legality as portrayed in the comics. This reminds me of some of his writngs on Daredevil. DD, being a lawyer, is subject to the greatest, and most merciless scrutiny. Really interesting stuff, and funnier than hell. It looks like he quit writng them a couple years ago, but the articles are archived online.[/quote'] Where can I find this!?

However' date=' Bugs Bunny would crush Robin.[/quote']

I'd back Bugs over Firelord.

Hm. How'd he do against Spider-Man? Prolly still well. He embodies the 'wisecracker' schtick more fully, and so his fu is simply better. Bugs two falls out of three.

Guest Suleyman Rashid

Does that answer your question?

Chuck is right... you're using a hypothetical if/then statement as if McCoy was making a statement of fact. Very slippery of you, Agent Starling.

Hm. How'd he do against Spider-Man? Prolly still well. He embodies the 'wisecracker' schtick more fully' date=' and so his fu is simply better. Bugs two falls out of three.[/quote']

Probably not, actually. Remember, Bugs is powered by karma. If he's the one in the right, and the antagonist is messing with him unjustifably, then that antagonist is doomed.

But on the very few occasions that Bugs has been the aggressor (Cecil Turtle being the most remarkable in my memory), *he's* been doomed.

And Spidey? Isn't a bad guy. Wouldn't go around trying to bully Bugs.

So Spidey wins. :D

Huh. I haven't gotten that impression from those shows, but I've only watched Teen Titans a couple times and JLU a few. And certainly I don't want to open that whole other can of worms. :)

This is part of why why I follow favorite writers rather than following a particular character these days.

Yeah, I think "serious" comic book readers (at the risk of sounding condescending) are generally going that way. I get books from my local comic book store based on authors - without even asking, they know which authors I like and they throw in their stories, even when they're writing mainstream supers stuff.

The Teen Titans cartoon is more cartoony from what I've seen, with less serious results from things like explosions and less attention paid to physics. JLU Batman has no chance.

However, Bugs Bunny would crush Robin.

Oh, I'll regret this...

...but generally Batman seems kind of like Batgod in Justice League.

I was just using that as an opportunity to point out the force field thing.

Another tangent: And Iron Man has taken down Silver Surfer by channeling Silver Surfer's attack back through his suit and then pummeling Silver Surfer with it. The thing is it took Iron Man out in the process.

That makes sense to me.

Yeah' date=' I think "serious" comic book readers (at the risk of sounding condescending) are generally going that way. I get books from my local comic book store based on authors - without even asking, they know which authors I like and they throw in their stories, even when they're writing mainstream supers stuff.[/quote']

I'm an admitted Kurt Busiek junkie. I buy anything with his name on it, on spec. I've rarely been let down (and even then, not particularly, I just didn't really get into the Triune arc during his Avengers run. It was still good comics, I just didn't really enjoy that storyline).

It's a pity... I'd like to stick around and give new writers a chance, because the Cult Of Names is a detriment to any creative industry, but I don't have the patience or the budget.

Oh, I'll regret this...

...but generally Batman seems kind of like Batgod in Justice League.

I've seen the first season of the JLU only... he doesn't seem too bad there. The Mongul fight, for instance: he tries to get involved, but it's so far over his head it isn't funny. So he tries something else. A true Bat-God would have whipped out a flash-bomb or blinded him, or used a grenade to make a stalactite fall and smash into him, or something like that. JLU Batman left the fight to Wonder Woman and went about trying to free Superman.

I really dug that.

I've seen the first season of the JLU only... he doesn't seem too bad there. The Mongul fight, for instance: he tries to get involved, but it's so far over his head it isn't funny. So he tries something else. A true Bat-God would have whipped out a flash-bomb or blinded him, or used a grenade to make a stalactite fall and smash into him, or something like that. JLU Batman left the fight to Wonder Woman and went about trying to free Superman.

I really dug that.

"She's in the Hall of Weapons. Good. That'll buy her some time.

But not enough. We need you, Clark."

--Batman (Paraphrased)

I'm an admitted Kurt Busiek junkie. I buy anything with his name on it, on spec. I've rarely been let down (and even then, not particularly, I just didn't really get into the Triune arc during his Avengers run. It was still good comics, I just didn't really enjoy that storyline).

It's a pity... I'd like to stick around and give new writers a chance, because the Cult Of Names is a detriment to any creative industry, but I don't have the patience or the budget.

Reviews from people with similar tastes will sometimes help me find a name to add to my list. People on these boards were saying some very good things about Astro City, to the point that I tried it out. That introduced me to Busiek, and I just finished the last of the Astro City TPBs a few days ago; these are some of the best comics I've read.

OTOH, while I love some of Moore's work, I can't get that into some parts of Tom Strong or even the travel log at the end of LoEG2; too self indulgent. Even a good writer sometimes produces a clunker.

"She's in the Hall of Weapons. Good. That'll buy her some time.

But not enough. We need you, Clark."

--Batman (Paraphrased)

That's the one exactly. :)

Strong stuff! And shows you don't need a character to be whomping on the bad guy to be emotionally powerful. Just takes good writing. ;)

To be fair, the "Cult of Names" drove literature for quite some time from the mid-19th to 20th century, producing many of our greatest works (including serialized ones, wherein frequently the creator's work is head and shoulders above later work, such as Conan Doyle or Burroughs or such). I think the comics' eschewing of named talent for a long time was more of a detriment to creativity. And certainly not just in comic books - consider Disney and the way in which amazing artists like Carl Barks were kept under wraps.