Side Effect or Linked Power?

Susano

I have a character who converts all kinetic energy into heat -- so if you hit him (or shoot him) you end up in the middle of a fireball coming from the character's body. My question is -- how do you model this sort of effect?

Is Side Effects to Armor legal? I see the book says a Side Effect can hurt others, so I presume no.

How about a Damage Shield? Can a Damage Shield be activated by a ranged attack?

Or...

Can I put it as 0 END, Persistant; Always On, and simply declare the damage done equals the damage the character takes?

Oh, and what sort of limitation would that be?

Rember, figure out exactly what the power ~does~

This power causes an explosion, when a certain condition is fulfilled. It can hit your friends, and innocent bystanders, so in this case I think a trigger, rather than the more focused, less 'painful' damage shield is appropriate. In many cases, an opponent could sit outside your own blast radius and rock your world with ranged attacks whilst you fry your friends.

But, still, with careful planning its a neat offensive power, so its not a side effect disad, IMHO.

Id say EB, Explosion (or AOE Radius), Triggered, maybe with a limitation to throw no more dice than the incoming BOD damage.

Originally posted by Marcus

Id say EB, Explosion (or AOE Radius), Triggered, maybe with a limitation to throw no more dice than the incoming BOD damage.

Except a Trigger needs to be reset after every use.

I was thinking EB, AOE Radius (5"), Reduced Endurnance (0 END), Continuous, Uncontrolled (or Damage Shield), with a limitation that it only does as many DCs as the incoming attack.

And no, this is not meant to be a balanced power.

Here is what I eventually came up with:

90	Invulnerability: Armor (30 PD/30 ED)
40	Invulnerability: Physical Damage Reduction, 3/4, Resistant; Stun Only (-1/2)
40	Invulnerability: Energy Damage Reduction, 3/4, Resistant; Stun Only (-1/2)
145	Wave Of Heat: EB 20d6, Area of Effect (5" Radius; +3/4), Damage Shield (+1/2), 
Continuous (+1), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Personal 
Immunity (+1/4); Linked (to use of armor; -1/4), EB Only Does As Many Damage 
Classes As An Incoming Attack Hitting The Armor (-1/2), Limited Conscious 
Control (-1)

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Fur Face

Holy Toledo Mike, whose side are you on? :)

I'm trying to create a character from the WWII RPG GODLIKE in HERO terms.

My only questions would be is there any power this wouldn't work on, such as a blast from a firehose? Or do you handle that under disadvantages?

Ah! I forgot, kinetic attacks only!

Hmm... I need to redo the limitations there.

I thought that power sounded familiar. I assume you'll neglect to buy Life Support ?

Do you have Star Hero ? The rocket engines there have a reduced value side effect for the KA blast area when they operate. It's lowered in value, since it doesn't affect the character, just the immediate environment.

In a lot of published material lately, many characters seem to have triggers which automatically reset themselves (and arguably, it should be an option for another +1/4 or so).

If you are uncomfortable with that, I might buy the explosion power with no conscious control, then take a physical limitation that it goes off whenever you're hit and in proportion to the attack that hit.

A complicated variation is to buy an END Reserve, absorption to the END Reserve, and youDo you have Star Hero ? I might look at the side effects on the rocket engines there, where the side effect value is an attack on the immediate area and reduced in value since it sometimes doesn't affect the character or any firends.r explosion attack goes off whenever there is END, and completely drains the END Reserve.

Originally posted by Tom McCarthy

I thought that power sounded familiar. I assume you'll neglect to buy Life Support ?

Correct! :P

Do you have Star Hero ? The rocket engines there have a reduced value side effect for the KA blast area when they operate. It's lowered in value, since it doesn't affect the character, just the immediate environment.

The problem is, SE isn't supposed to affect other people like that... according to the rules. Also, the target of a Side Effect isn't supposed to be useful in combat.

In a lot of published material lately, many characters seem to have triggers which automatically reset themselves (and arguably, it should be an option for another +1/4 or so).

Yeah... Trigger would work. I picked Damage Shield, as it did what I wanted -- and there is no reset time.

If you are uncomfortable with that, I might buy the explosion power with no conscious control, then take a physical limitation that it goes off whenever you're hit and in proportion to the attack that hit.

That's what I've done here. I used Limited Conscious Control at -1 to represent the idea that the characer can trigger it "at will' (just get hit by something physical), but can't control the output.

A complicated variation is to buy an END Reserve, absorption to the END Reserve, and your explosion attack goes off whenever there is END, and completely drains the END Reserve.

Doesn't fit the description of the character's powers.