Item Cost

Mazeus Xenon

It's me again... looking for the gamers with too much time on their hands and a keen eye for detail...

Anywho,

I am wondering if anyone has kicked around a formular for AP-to-cost ratio? I know there is some detail in the Star Hero book for various things but I would like to know ideas from people on a generic formula for any power or effect. Of course, some things need to be manually modified. A Sword would be cheaper (in theory) than a Scroll of Fire Blast, even if they were identical in AP, but just wondering a generic idea. The final cost can ALWAYS be modified! :)

Re: Item Cost

Okay, the link was useful but not what I was looking for - that was just another list of prices.

Other than referring to a chart, is there any kind of a formula out there somewhere that takes the Active Points of a power and translates it into a cost? Either I am just being seriously dim today (which does happen) or I didn't see anything in his posts. Any other suggestions? Feel free to tell me where to go... :eek:

I've brought this up on several occasions and every time I've ended up being convinced that this isn't the best way to go as there will be huge descrepencies in $ cost vs. actual in-game utility.

As it stands, simply assign a coin/$/drachma/pound/shilling value to a point value and translate from there.

I would avoid the AP to $ translation formula.

Start with a few basic items. Give them arbitrary values, then cost out other items in comparison to the first few.

If you want some stuff to be hard to get, then just give them a high cost off hand (magical whatever whatsit).

Hmm, I need to fix the HTML of that thread...

I only use a formula to give a base idea on magic items and then flavour it slightly (because magic items can be very unique).

My formula comes out as an average magic item of 30 AP costs similar to Plate Armour - which is what I want for my world. This is halved if you can buy it from Dwarves.