The Raven and Captain Battle

Metaphysician

Recently picked up these two Hero Plus docs. Quite nice, IMHO. Good, strong Shadow and Doc Savage analogues, with a nice array of supporting characters. In fact, the Science Police are a good example of how you could do the "Operatives" style of pulp team gaming.

Any chances we'll see more of these kind of things?? Between these two and the pulp writeup for Dr Yin Wu, we're half way to assembling Warren Ellis' Legion of Extraordinary Pulp Characters. . . ;)

Re: The Raven and Captain Battle

Glad you like 'em!

We've got a whole book full of cool Pulp villains and adversaries heading your way -- Masterminds And Madmen just shipped from the printer today.

Now, if you mean NPC heroes specifically, it's definitely possible. There are a bunch more we've mentioned in various books that I could do -- Carolina Caldwell (whom I already have written up, in fact), Agent Sam Spivey, the Futurian, the Cobra, Mickey "Ace of Spades" Spader, Gideon Fortune, the Scarlet Shadow, the Black Owl. If there's enough interest I could certainly slot a "Pulp Heroes, Vol. III" into the list of HPAs to work on. ;)

Actually, looking at the list, I'd probably need a Vol. IV, too, esp. since Spader has a group of Followers just like Jim Battle does, IIRC. Probably Caldwell, Spader, and Fortune in one, as the globetrotting adventurer set, and the other five in a "crimefighters"-themed volume.

The interesting thing for me about doing them is that each of these heroes seems to do a pretty good job of filling his own "niche" without stepping on the others' toes. Carolina is an Indy pastiche, naturally. ;) Sam Spivey is a fed; the Futurian is a rocketpack-wearing high-tech hero; the Cobra is an "American from the Orient" and expert on Chinatown. (These three were the PCs of Chris Caldwell, John Losey, and Art Director Andy Mathews in a Pulp campaign our friend Tim Binford ran years ago, in which I played the Raven. Man, what a great game that was.) Spader is an aviator; Fortune a roguish two-fisted hero sort (or at least I believe that's the case; he was mentioned by Rob Hudson in MM). The Scarlet Shadow and the Black Owl are both masked crimefighters of various sorts, though they're Darren's creations so I'd need basic details from him.

Sure, glad to. I've actually gotten slowed down on the HPAs because I'm now running my own PH campaign, and time that would've been spent creating HPAs has gone into preparing for my games and creating new adventures. Ultimately, though, many of the new ones will become HPAs, so it all works out pretty well. ;) Additionally, as I run the adventures already published, I often create additional maps or props for them, so I'll add those to the HPAs as seems appropriate.

Currently, I'd expect the next few HPAs, all for PH, to be the following. Not sure quite what order they'll appear in, though.

The Voodoo Cross: the characters follow a fiendish trail through the bayous of Louisiana and the mountains of Haiti to find a powerful relic and defeat an undead Voodoo sorcerer. This is taking a lot longer than expected because I decided to include a whole big "Voodoo Grimoire" of spells, as well as several Voodoo monsters. So this will be a good HPA for FH as well as PH. ;)

Actually, when it's done, I may also create another HPA of "ethnic magics" combining the Chinese spells from #6 with the Voodoo spells, and maybe add a few more from somewhere.

Valley Of The Spider Queen: The heroes descend into a strange, unknown valley to rescue kidnapping victims from the clutches of the insidious Spider Queen and her people.

Attack Of The Leopard-Men: The heroes fight Leopard Societies in West Africa.

The Tablets Of Destiny: The heroes race a Nazi archaeological expedition to be the first to recover a powerful artifact from Babylonian mythology.

The Chinese Lamp: The PCs get mixed up in crime and mystic goings-on in Chinatown as they seek to assemble all the pieces of an ancient Chinese lantern and learn its fabulous secret!

Nazi Death Zombies Of The Congo!: The adventure I'm running this Friday. The title pretty much says it all; stay tuned for an update to the THT thread. ;)

I have plenty of other ideas, but they're either only half-formed, so I won't list them yet. One comes with a title so cool, so thoroughly infused with Pulp goodness, that I'm keeping it secret until I can run it for my campaign and see the looks on the players' faces when I announce it. :sneaky: I also am beginning tentative planning for an epic multi-part story arc loosely inspired by SJohn Ross's Cairo Moon SPARKS set, which I'm sure will get turned into a series of HPAs at some point, but that's likely months away.

• 2 weeks later...

Nazi Death Zombies Of The Congo!: The adventure I'm running this Friday. The title pretty much says it all; stay tuned for an update to the THT thread. ;)

My gaming group would kill or die to play in this game based on the title alone. Our motto is "There's no game that can't be improved by adding Nazis or zombies to it." :)

My gaming group would kill or die to play in this game based on the title alone.

Don't worry -- it'll show up as a Hero Plus Adventure in time. ;) Complete with four new Nazi villains!

In the meantime, I posted a full report about the events of the game, which I ran last Friday, on my "Thrilling Hero Tales" thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...