Vibora Bay and Millennium City, how are they working out for you?

Hermit

I'm just curious. I have both books, but one campaign in MC which was going strong for a time has come to an end as others have started up. Vibora Bay, I think ran for a week, then dwindled. I'm having trouble getting into VB even though I think it is the better product, go fig.

Both are pretty cool, actually, but I was wondering how other GMs using them (or players playing in them) liked the settings. Do you have a preference?Why? Any suggestions for fully capturing the feel of either city?

Note- I'm not really interested in other city settings at this time, just these two. Partially, I'm trying to make the most of the resources I have rather than looking for new resources if you see what I'm saying.

Re: Vibora Bay and Millennium City, how are they working out for you?

Well, my current campaign takes place in MC I've not used VB. ANd since we've only played twice (I am the back up to the back up campaign! :)) I don't know how the setting is affecting my players, as it stands they could reall be anywhere.

Though some of the NPC have made an appearance, and I think that helped.

Re: Vibora Bay and Millennium City, how are they working out for you?

Hmmm, I don't use any of them but own them both (superrich mansion-dwelling playboy-millionaire that I am ...). I've got to say that both are - artwise - below industrial standard (compare them to well-written four-color stunts like Freedom City and you'll know what I am talking about).

Millenium City was the book I bought first and the one that I just skimmed - all in all an okay product but I think I prefer New York ripp-offs like Hudson City, Freedom City of SAS's Empire City (N.Y.C. with a slightly altered name ... okay Millenium City is better that Empire). So, if I can have one of these or just a travel-guide to the original real-life-burg I am fine and have some highrises to play hide, seek and destroy with. Millenium Ciyt doesn't have access to an ocean and no habor ... bad, bad.

Vibory Bay's illustartions are more or less an absolute nightmare, BUT I like it better than M.C. - I wouldn't use it for Champions though. I think the city has a definite noir-feel to it, making it a great book or setting for Dark Champions, or some late 40s Pulp Hero. Just get rid of the PRIMUS base and ignore or downplay the hidden but high level of magic and the arcane and there you are - Sam Spade meets the Punisher to topple the Voodoo Queen of the Devil Swamp!

It would also be a nice vacation spot for PCs who want to have a reasonable quiet time from the gun-totting Hudson City.