How to: Ego Roll Wall

Sociotard

Re: How to: Ego Roll Wall

Well... The power as described doesn't hinder movement... it hinders (affects) the desire/impetus/motivation to move as expressed by the original poster's comments.

He wants a power that will stop folks from entering a room (passing through the doorway), unless they make an EGO roll. That's Mind Control by definition.

I disagree completely. The net effect on the target is that they cannot pass. We happen to want to base that on an Ego roll of some sort. Whether we do this by making the target not want to move past can be handled as the SFX of a Power such as Change Environment or Entagle as well as it can be handled by the use of Mind Control. I think it can validly be done either way, but since the end goal is to keep the target from moving in a particular way I would be more inclined to stay away from Mental Powers, especially since they provide no real way of specifying an area (you might as well have the target move as far away as possible, stand on their head, or catch an airliner to Bermuda as not pass a particular point).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree completely. The net effect on the target is that they cannot pass. We happen to want to base that on an Ego roll of some sort.

Here's the original request:

Okay, I'm trying to make a spell to block doorways, sections of hall, and so on. The special effect is that a person who wants to walk accross the barrier has to apply a great deal of willpower, since the wall robs you of your desire to cross. I was hoping to represent that with an EGO roll, possibly with modifiers. Crossing the wall does not dissipate the wall, so everyone who crosses has to make their own roll. Each time you cross the wall, you get a positive modifier next time.

So, the net effect is that they can pass... if they make an EGO roll. That's Mind Control.

The mechanics behind any sort of Force Wall, Force Field... based on EGO are daunting and ridiculous seeing as an amazingly simple Mind Control (check back in the thread for a few examples of a Persistent, AE, Telepathic Mind Control, Only One Command *Don't Enter This Room*) accomplishes everything the original poster needs and comes with none of the stultifying Rules Gymnastics that any other solution requires.

-k

So, the net effect is that they can pass... if they make an EGO roll. That's Mind Control.

Well, yes, but it's also Entangle, Change Enviornment, Telekinesis, and probably a few others. Mind you, one of those Mind Control examples was my own, and I agree that Mind Control is the way to go here. But...

Actually, I was just reading through Entangle and thought about modifying the "mental paralysis" thingy by changing "cannot form barriers" to "only to form barriers", the result being that anyone trying to move past the wall has to roll their EGO (like a damage roll, as if they were breaking out of an Entangle) to move through the wall. A simple hand wave would make the DEF of the wall an EGO roll penalty, which the roll to a normal EGO Roll and the BODY total is the number of times someone can successfully cross the wall before it naturally errodes (though crossing by means other than making an EGO Roll will not cause the wall to errode).