Luck System: Whimsy Cards

Egyptoid

Re: Luck System: Whimsy Cards

Meh.

I really don't want HERO to end up like that system that uses dice, cards, poker chips, other dice, astrological charts, and the flip of a coin to resolve things.

I don't see it that way at all. They can be a supplement for ideas on top of the standard system. Normally you have to be pretty imaginative to come up with an effect of Luck or whatever. These just provide nifty starting points for ideas (and maybe allow a little player involvement and strategy as well).

Meh.

I really don't want HERO to end up like that system that uses dice, cards, poker chips, other dice, astrological charts, and the flip of a coin to resolve things.

Personally, I'm prepared to give anything a try that makes Luck (mechanically speaking) more that just an exercise in GM handwaving.

it does take balance to not let the cards get out of hand.

you have to build multiply redundant jails (so to speak)

if the player has 3 get-out-of-jail-free cards each night.

I've used the cards idea for years, but usually in DnD type games

where the cards are earned or rewarded.

This is my first Hero instance, where its based on Luck.

1. Luck the Power.

2. luck as in bad GM dice. (I re-roll to hit a character and hand his player a card

for later)

It's quite fun to screw over your own character, I do it often as a player myself.

Bad things are as much fun to roleplay as good things. It's all character development.

Anyhow, he has occasionally rolled unluck without prompting whenever it would be fun/amusing/plot enriching to do so.

We're more interactive storytellers, than adversarial challengers.

wow you must have a good payer you can trust.

I'm trying to envision that working in my group.

nope. can't picture it.

I have a player who lives to be abused. Its what makes him tick. The more trouble he's in the happier he is.

It really depends on how you view your character.

Is it a character in a story, with you as the main writer, where everything that happens to them is character development whether it is good, bad or indifferent?

Or do you empathise with the character, viewing it as your own persona, and perhaps taking any slight or setback against your character as an insult to you personally?

Or somewhere in between?

wow you must have a good payer you can trust.

I'm trying to envision that working in my group.

nope. can't picture it.

When we tried out a luck points system, the we decided to dock 1 xp at the end of each session for each point of unluck the character had left. It wasn't wildly popular, but it got the job done.

Ouch. Short sessions might be a b**ch. :nonp:

For short sessions we either forgave leftovers (if it was short cuz someone else had to go) or let them roll over to the next (If one of the characters with unluck had to leave early and was therefore the reason the session was short)