A sword from hell?

Demonsong

A sword from hell?

Ok I am working with a friend of mine on a sword. A huge 2 handed rune blade with the soul of a powerful demon lord forever trapped inside. But I think he is trying to go over board with the disadvantages on the blade. So I thought I would list it here for your input. First off the blade is -1 OAF (unbreakable).

1) Is the disadvantage -1/2 Two Handed Weapon meant for this kind of thing or only for (as I see it) duplicating real life (or close too) weapons; rifles, normal polearms, ect?

2) Side Effects: defined -1/2 half active points, ¼ less because you know what the effect will always be, X2 because if takes effect any time the weapon is removed from its scabbard. For a total of -1/2. The Side Effects take the form as disadvantages the first 2 effect the character, the 3rd is just the sword.

1-Bloodlust: The desires to kill ones enemies. Not knock them out, not arrest them for trial, to simply kill them. Must make an Ego check to avoid killing a down combatant, or use restraint in combat with the sword.

2-Enraged: When take body damage from an attack meant to kill (Killing attack)

3-Aura of Total Evil, Extreme reaction, the sword itself is surrounded by on unmistakable aura of death and evil. Most normal people will be terrified of this weapon and here is no way for it to pass as a harmless old blade.

If it is important to your response, the blades power will be a Multi-Power (60pt), with 3 slots:

1- 2D6 HKA (30pt)

2- DCV +5 vrs ranged attacks only, or missiles deflection (30pts) We are still undecided about his one.

3-2D6 HKA +1 Variable Advantage +3/4 with 4 settings, (60pt)

1) +¾ Fan shaped explosion -1DC/3†[end cost 12]

2) +1/2 Line of hexes explosion -1DC/3â€; +1/4 Auto Fire X3 [end cost 12/24/36]

3) +1/4 Auto Fire X3, +1/2 End = 0 [end cost 6/12/18]

4) +1/2 Effect Disolid, +1/4 End = ½ [end cost 6]

And as a side note the characters end is only 50 so he will not be laying the smack down with the special settings very often. So is it over the top abusive? The character story in a nut shell is it’s his responsibility to baby sit this evil blade until he can find a way to either hide it forever or destroy it.

Thanks

Demonsong

350pt – Ultra tech, cyberpunk, magic, alien, champions world with a much darker spin to it than your normal Champions settings.

And no it is not a dumb question. :)

The side effect and OAF are pretty limiting...

Well that was the point its a Demon sowrd!!!!:D

Thanks

Oh! Rifts Hero!

It's much more colorfull if you ask me.

As for the Hellsword... yours looks good. I like the +5 DCV to represent the sword automatically blocking incoming attacks. I'd make that slot a "Multi" slot, and then bump up the size of the reserve for the Multipower so that you can have at least +2 DCV devoted to your "Demonsword reflexive protection" without cutting into the main attack powers.

The general idea was that if you were using one of the special setting most of the swords power was being used for that.

I'd also consider making the DCV levels straight levels, as the sword automatically gives this flicker reflex to deflect enemy hand-to-hand/melee blows.

Well the concept is to give the demon trapped in the sword a personality. Not that a trapped demon lord would willingly help the swords wielder. However this particular Demon thinks ranged combat some what distasteful and although he would love to see the wielder ripped to shreds, he wants to see it done in hand to hand combat.

Is that twisted?

Thanks

Re: A sword from hell?

Originally posted by Demonsong

1) Is the disadvantage -1/2 Two Handed Weapon meant for this kind of thing or only for (as I see it) duplicating real life (or close too) weapons; rifles, normal polearms, ect?

This disadvantage is meant to reflect the fact that you can't use your hands for anything else while you are wielding the sword. In Hero terms, it means you can't use a shield, can't use the sword if either of your hands is restrained (such as with an Entangle), nor can you perform Grabs. This is still somewhat limiting, even in Rifts Hero.

2) Side Effects: defined -1/2 half active points, ¼ less because you know what the effect will always be, X2 because if takes effect any time the weapon is removed from its scabbard. For a total of -1/2. The Side Effects take the form as disadvantages the first 2 effect the character, the 3rd is just the sword.

1-Bloodlust: The desires to kill ones enemies. Not knock them out, not arrest them for trial, to simply kill them. Must make an Ego check to avoid killing a down combatant, or use restraint in combat with the sword.

2-Enraged: When take body damage from an attack meant to kill (Killing attack)

3-Aura of Total Evil, Extreme reaction, the sword itself is surrounded by on unmistakable aura of death and evil. Most normal people will be terrified of this weapon and here is no way for it to pass as a harmless old blade.

This seems fine to me. You've got 3 fairly hard-core limitations. The first 2 will ensure that the PC eventually ends up with other limitations, such as Reputation: Ruthless Killer and various Hunteds. The 3rd one all by itself is going to ensure that the PC is going to be Target Number One in virtually every combat. Since the side effects only take place when the sword is drawn, make sure the 3rd limitations is not listed as "Always".

If it is important to your response, the blades power will be a Multi-Power (60pt), with 3 slots:

1- 2D6 HKA (30pt)

2- DCV +5 vrs ranged attacks only, or missiles deflection (30pts) We are still undecided about his one.

These look fine. You have to decide whether the 2nd effect is Passive (+5 DCV), or Active (Missle Deflection). Does the character have to use an action to avoid attacks? If so, choose the Deflection. If the sword does it automatically without any effort from the character, use the DCV levels.

3-2D6 HKA +1 Variable Advantage +3/4 with 4 settings, (60pt)

1) +¾ Fan shaped explosion -1DC/3†[end cost 12]

2) +1/2 Line of hexes explosion -1DC/3â€; +1/4 Auto Fire X3 [end cost 12/24/36]

3) +1/4 Auto Fire X3, +1/2 End = 0 [end cost 6/12/18]

4) +1/2 Effect Disolid, +1/4 End = ½ [end cost 6]

Here's where I see some problems. I don't have my book, but I think you figured the Variable advantage wrong on this slot. If I remember correctly, Variable Advantage is worth Double the cost of the advantages being used, plus further advantages based on how many you have. So for a Variable +¾ Advantage, you pay +1½, plus another +¼ for having 4 slots, making a total of +1¾. In a 60 point multipower, this gives an HKA of only 1d6+1

I also have some questions about your slots:

1. What is a "fan shaped explosion" and why is it worth less than a normal explosion? If you are substituting one shape for another (replacing "Radius" with "Cone") then you should be paying +1 for this. Generally speaking, swapping shapes does not change the value of the +½ advantage, and having the loss of DC's at 1/3" is worth another +½, for a total of +1. However, I can see how having a cone shape and losing 1/1 would be worth less than the same effect in a radius, so perhaps you've reduced the value by ¼ for that reason? If so, then this slot is fine.

2. What is a "line of hexes explosion" and why is it worth less than as a normal explosion? Once again, if you are merely swapping shapes (in this case replacing "Radius" with "Line") and you've made the same assumptions as before, then the same thing applies. It should either be +1, or you've reduced the value due to the smaller shape causing a loss of effectiveness, which should be fine.

3. Is this slot "½ END" or "Zero END"? If it's half, then this slot is fine, because Reduced Endurance costs double value on Autofire powers. However the END costs listed should be 3/6/9. A 60 point power would use 6 END per use. Half of that is 3, hence the 3/6/9. Don't forget to add END for the PC's STR to this as well. Perhaps that's where the extra END comes from?

4. Is this slot "½ END"? If so, it's fine too but the END cost should be 3 + END from STR.

And as a side note the characters end is only 50 so he will not be laying the smack down with the special settings very often. So is it over the top abusive? The character story in a nut shell is it’s his responsibility to baby sit this evil blade until he can find a way to either hide it forever or destroy it.

Over the top abusive? I would say not really. When the character is in "Bloodlust" mode, he's much more likely to use the heavy-hitting powers (which are likely to hit friends as well as enemies... not that the PC will care at the time, but he'll probably have a lot of explaining to do afterwards). People won't want to associate with this character and he's going to have a hard time keeping friends. He also won't really be welcome in any town that knows about his weapon. Local law-enforcement will keep a close eye on him, and any "unexplained" or "strange" deaths will likely be attributed to him, even when he isn't the guilty party. It should make for excellent roleplaying opportunities for the character, but I would definitely want to ensure that the player is mature enough to handle the consequences that this blade will undoubtedly bring to the PC.

Good luck!

Steve

Xanderr: about the side effects

This seems fine to me. You've got 3 fairly hard-core limitations. The first 2 will ensure that the PC eventually ends up with other limitations, such as Reputation: Ruthless Killer and various Hunteds. The 3rd one all by itself is going to ensure that the PC is going to be Target Number One in virtually every combat. Since the side effects only take place when the sword is drawn, make sure the 3rd limitations is not listed as "Always".

Maybe I didn’t make this completely clear. All 3 side effects are always in effect if the sword is drawn. If the sword is in the scabbard all 3 side effect are off.

These look fine. You have to decide whether the 2nd effect is Passive (+5 DCV), or Active (Missle Deflection). Does the character have to use an action to avoid attacks? If so, choose the Deflection. If the sword does it automatically without any effort from the character, use the DCV levels.

Yea the answer to that question is going to be found in the story about the sword, how it was made, ECT. Then we will make the decision.

Here's where I see some problems. I don't have my book, but I think you figured the Variable advantage wrong on this slot. If I remember correctly, Variable Advantage is worth Double the cost of the advantages being used, plus further advantages based on how many you have. So for a Variable +¾ Advantage, you pay +1½, plus another +¼ for having 4 slots, making a total of +1¾. In a 60 point multipower, this gives an HKA of only 1d6+1

You are right that a universal Variable Advantage is worth x2 the cost of the advantages. +1/2 cost +1. However if you are limited to a set group (4max) then the cost is less.

1. What is a "fan shaped explosion" and why is it worth less than a normal explosion? If you are substituting one shape for another (replacing "Radius" with "Cone") then you should be paying +1 for this. Generally speaking, swapping shapes does not change the value of the +½ advantage, and having the loss of DC's at 1/3" is worth another +½, for a total of +1. However, I can see how having a cone shape and losing 1/1 would be worth less than the same effect in a radius, so perhaps you've reduced the value by ¼ for that reason? If so, then this slot is fine.

The rules for this are in the description for the explosion advantage. I don't have my book so i cant tell you the page.

3. Is this slot "½ END" or "Zero END"? If it's half, then this slot is fine, because Reduced Endurance costs double value on Autofire powers. However the END costs listed should be 3/6/9. A 60 point power would use 6 END per use. Half of that is 3, hence the 3/6/9. Don't forget to add END for the PC's STR to this as well. Perhaps that's where the extra END comes from?

You are correct on this one. I messed up it should be +1/2 End=1/2. So the power should cost 3/6/9 + Str End of + 6. for a total of 9/12/15. Right, because you only pay Str end once.

4. Is this slot "½ END"? If so, it's fine too but the END cost should be 3 + END from STR.

3 end for the pwoer + 6 from str = 9 total. That sucks two screw ups in a row....don't tell my players!!;)

People won't want to associate with this character and he's going to have a hard time keeping friends. He also won't really be welcome in any town that knows about his weapon. Local law-enforcement will keep a close eye on him, and any "unexplained" or "strange" deaths will likely be attributed to him, even when he isn't the guilty party. It should make for excellent roleplaying opportunities for the character, but I would definitely want to ensure that the player is mature enough to handle the consequences that this blade will undoubtedly bring to the PC.
The character is all so some what of a low level brick with some movement powers. So the Sword is last resort weapon. A kind of “Please don’t make me do this kind of thing.â€

But your right there is definitely a lot of roll playing opportunities here.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Ok Now I am home and I had figured Variable Advantage wrong. So I correct that, changed the End values and add the Aura of Fear. So here is the sword as it stands now.

Demon Sword (25pts Total)

20 Multi-Power (60 pts)

-1 OAF: Huge 2-Handed Bastard Sword covered in black runes

-1/2 2-Handed Weapon

-1/2 Side Effects: All side effects are constant once the sword is drawn. If the sword is (safely) in is scabbard none of the side effects apply. Side Effect 1 and 2 affect the wielder, and Side Effect number 3 effects only the sword.

1-Bloodlust: The desires to kill ones enemies. Not knock them out, not arrest them for trial, to simply kill them. Must make an Ego check to avoid killing a down combatant, or use restraint in combat with the sword in hand.

2-Enraged: If takes body damage from an attack meant to kill (Killing Attack) 8-, Recovery 8- (It takes a lot for the character to lose it but, when he does it will take a lot to bring him back)

1m- Big Sword (30pts)

2D6 (4D6 w/ STR) HKA Physical (End: 6)

1m- DCV +5 vs. Ranged attacks, or Missile Deflection (Still not sure) (30pts)

1m- Aura of Power (30pts)

PRE: +30

2m-Infinit Hatred Attacks (60pts)

2D6 (4D6 w/ STR) HKA: All these attacks are all considered Sonic Physical, as the Demon Lord screams for revenge.

+1/4 Reduced End: End = 1/2

+3/4 Variable Advantage +1/2 (4 slots)

1- +1/4 Auto Fire X3, +1/4 Reduced End: End = 1/2 (End: 9/12/15)

2- +1/2 Cone Shaped Explosion: -1DC/2†(End: 9)

3- +1/2 Line of Hexes Shaped Explosion: -1DC/3†(End: 9)

4- +1/2 Effect Desolidified (End: 9)

Thoughts?

1m- DCV +5 vs. Ranged attacks, or Missile Deflection (Still not sure) (30pts)

I recall reading in the Big Book that putting levels to DCV into a focus was generally not a good idea. (Not prohibited necessarily, but generally not a good idea.) I'll try and remember to look up the specific page this weekend if anyone's curious.

Hmm... You could define the protection as a Force Field bought outside the Multipower.

20 Force Field (60 Active), 40 PD, Reduced End: 0 END (+1/2), -2 Limitations from the sword.

Any of the following limitations would also be appropriate:

1) "Only against slow missiles (thrown weapons, arrows, etc.) (-1/2)".

2) "Only against attacks wielder is aware of and can perceive (-1/2)"

3a) "Requires a skill roll (-1/2)'

OR

3b) "Activation Roll 14< (-1/2

If you added 1&2, plus either #3 choice, that would add more flavor and bring the cost down to a measely 13 points.

I was going to suggest buying the Deflection outside the Multipower, but that wouldn't gain much because you still need a half-phase to use Deflection.

Overall looks pretty cool.

So does the character have a Rival (relative) with an identical sword? ;)

Take care,

Harry

Not to be rude but please read the full description before you post corrections.

-1 OAF: Huge 2-Handed Bastard Sword covered in black runes

I personally thought the “Huge†part of the description was a dead give away that it was larger than normal size. Aside form that if you spend some time reading books on ancient weapons and armor you will find that not all bastard swords were hand and half weapons, many were two handed weapons.

Thanks any way.