characters from the "nightside"

gewing

I just finished the latest Nightside novel by Simon R. Green.

Now I am wondering if anyone else who has read them has ideas for some of the marvelous characters. My opinion, of course, ymmv

John Taylor's major power is probably both a huge detect/clairvoyance, and a VPP for the things it is "the easiest thing imaginable to do" once he has detected.

his minor power/spell, which no one else seems to know, is to take something from somewhere, and put it somewhere else. At first he uses it to take the bullets out of people's guns when they are pointing them at him, then dribble them out of his hand onto the table...

He comes up with some other uses:nonp: :eg:

Julian Advent, the VIctorian Adventurer, tossed forward through time when his fiance betrayed him for his archenemy. He created a formula that could distill the good or bad aspects of a person, and embraced the good. Kind of Mr. Hyde's "GOOD twin"

He is extremely strong, fast, smart, runs a newspaper...

Razor Eddy, the Punk god of the Straightrazor. He was a bad boy, but he contacted "someone" and made a deal, now he is working for the side of "Good." but his methods can be rather distressing. and MESSY

Re: characters from the "nightside"

SHotgun Suzie would probably be a "normal" with lots of combat skill levels, and lightning reflexes, WFs, street wise and related skills.

Walker could be an experienced burueacrat with an Atrocious Mind Control, contacts, resources, reputation.

Dead Boy, automaton, damage reduction, contact in the afterlife, special vehicle.

Tommy Oblivion, a transformer/teleporter with concentration and incantations.

Larry Oblivion, intelligent zombie, with superspeed built with focus wand.

Jonah, Major transformer/probability alterer.

CES

SHotgun Suzie would probably be a "normal" with lots of combat skill levels, and lightning reflexes, WFs, street wise and related skills.

She also has a Multipower with a huge number of different slots of ammunition. That's what makes Suzie so dangerous, she's got shells that can take out just about anything.

Walker could be an experienced burueacrat with an Atrocious Mind Control, contacts, resources, reputation.

He's also got a VPP which means that he can do just about anything he needs to. Don't forget that he was able to spot someone spying on him when the succubus in question didn't think he could.

What I like about the Nightside novels is that there's a heirarchy of powers and the most powerful Powers and Dominions often have vast limits to go along with their vast powers. The lower level beings have greater freedom as well as an easier time avoiding notice.

• 3 weeks later...

Larry Oblivion' date=' intelligent zombie, with superspeed built with focus wand.[/quote']

I'm not sure speed alone would do it. Since his wand freezes time, perhaps an AOE Speed Drain with No Visible Power Effect? Noone can do anything, but they don't notice it happening.

In the latest book he danced around a monster, only appearing for seconds in between uses; the duration itself doesn't present a conversion problem, it's the "not enough time to respond before he activates it again" that would require something like, hmm, the ability to partially ease back on the Drain? I think that comes with the power, actually. He could give people back 1 speed only, until he could see what they were doing (or half a point of speed, so they couldn't even attack him), then use it again.

Giving him superspeed would almost be pointless then, except for the possibility that reinforcements could arrive in the time he took to do things. It was never really specified whether time froze for the rest of the world, too, outside his encounters.

I think a lot of Larry's tricks can be done with speed powers, such as teleport, dispel, hand attack, and others. The one major power I can see is exdim to a dimension where time doesn't move but I don't know if that's a perfect solution for his abilty to move unseen.

CES