Short Duration Dependencies

Armitage

I just recently purchased Champions Worldwide, and one of the characters made me wonder about something.

The villain Ying must use her pain manipulation powers on someone every hour or she takes 3d6 STUN and 3d6 BODY. How would such a character sleep?

I doubt that she sleeps 55 minutes at a time and keeps some poor slob tied-up in her bedroom to torture all night.

In a situation like this, would it be unreasonable for a GM to rule that the Disadvantage doesn't apply while asleep? A character is essentially "out of play" while asleep, so why inflict Disadvantages when the character has no way to interact with or impact the rest of the world? It would be like a character in a comic book dying between panels.

Re: Short Duration Dependencies

The villain Ying must use her pain manipulation powers on someone every hour or she takes 3d6 STUN and 3d6 BODY. How would such a character sleep?

I doubt that she sleeps 55 minutes at a time and keeps some poor slob tied-up in her bedroom to torture all night.

Given that she is a villain, I wouldn't put it past her (granted, I haven't seen a write up of her character).

This is why you get so many points from dependancies... they are constantly affecting you. However, I may give some sort of break, depending on the nature of the characters...

Given that she is a villain, I wouldn't put it past her (granted, I haven't seen a write up of her character).

This is why you get so many points from dependancies... they are constantly affecting you. However, I may give some sort of break, depending on the nature of the characters...

It's actually written as a Susceptibility but phrased as a Dependence. I'm not sure why. It may be a typo.

Susceptibility: Must use one of her Psychic Pain Manipulation powers at least once per hour or suffer 3d6 STUN and BODY (Very Common). 20 points.

And she is a sadist with the Lightsleep Talent, so I guess she might torture someone between naps after all.

For dependencies that depend upon a character's behavior, I'll let them sleep. But it's absolutely the first thing they must do upon waking up. At the very least, within the first timeframe after waking, they must fullfill the need of the entire night or take the cumulative effect. So in Yin's case, she can sleep a full eight hours but within the fist hour after waking torture someone eight times or take the damage.

She must use her powers a minimum of every hour, but she uses them more often if she can, because she enjoys it. In her dreams, she tortures people a lot. Sometimes she even uses her powers to do so. Whether it's just the people in her dream that suffer, or she accidentally activates her powers even when "unconscious" and makes someone nearby feel the pain, is unknown.

Of course, I haven't even read the book in question, so I don't know if her Disadvantage is mental or mystical, but it seems a fair way to handle it. Her teammates may wake up (and then wake her up) when it starts happening, and it would be very difficult to keep loved ones in the house nearby for a mundane identity (unless they were masochists), but she could at least sleep through the nights.

The main flaw with this is what happens when she falls too deeply asleep for REM? Unconscious, in holding for transport to a secure facility, but held too long? Oops, just started to die.