Building a sensory-deprivation tank for a mentalist

DataPacRat

I'm putting some finishing touches on a mentalist/telepath character. He has the usual Mind Scan, a multipower with Mind Control and Telepathy (and a few others), and a selection of other telepathic tricks (eg, 10 points for a speech-only Universal Translator, and a Clairsentience to experience others' senses). I still have enough points leeway that I can throw in a few more customizations... so I'm thinking of having him own a sensory-deprivation tank. In the real world, after about 40 minutes, theta waves increase, occasional hallucinations (including OOBEs), and some people use them to increase creativity - all of which is certainly enough to justify some Aid to psi powers in a setting where they exist. :)

And so, my first writeup for the tank looks something like this:

1d6 Aid [10 base points], all psionic powers simultaneously (+2), [30 active points], Self Only (-1/2), Concentration 0 DCV (-1/2), Unaware of nearby events (-1/4), Extra Time to activate: 20 minutes (-2 1/2), Extra Time: may not take other actions (-1/4), IIF Bulky (-3/4) [5 real points]

There are, however, a few niggling details. I'm fairly confident about 'unaware of nearby events' - that's what sensory deprivation /does/, after all - but a case could possibly be made that it might not apply to a telepath that can still sense other minds. As a focus, Bulky is obvious (it could fit in a truck); I have no idea whether it should count as Obvious or Inobvious, or Accessible or Inaccessible, though.

The other bit I'm having trouble with is the fact that, at default, Aid fades at 5 active points per turn. Should I simply buy the rate down the time chart? Or would Continuous (for as long as he stays in the tank) be better?

I'm also thinking about throwing in the possibility of a 'bad trip': Side Effects (psych lims), or maybe some uncontrolled/subconscious use of his powers on others, triggered by a failed Skill Roll (possibly PS: Meditation, Power: Psionics, SC: Psionics, or an EGO or PRE roll).

Re: Building a sensory-deprivation tank for a mentalist

I would call it an Obvious focus unless the average person would be completely clueless as to what it is.

To simulate the stopping of normal senses you could buy it Darkness 1" radius and then extend to effects to the various senses you want it to affect. As long as the mentalist has no personal immunity he'll be affected as well.

Instead of Aid, I would use its variant, Succor, at 0 END and Persistant, since that's a Constant Power the benefits of which will stop as soon as it's shut off. See the rulebook entry for Aid for details of Succor.

And I second Edsel's suggestion for Darkness - it was the first thing I thought of myself. :)

I would call it an Obvious focus unless the average person would be completely clueless as to what it is.

This is a 'Secret Powers' setting, so anybody might recognize it as a SD tank, but the only people who know that an SD tank increases telepathic abilities are an extremely-rare few psis who've tried it themselves.

To simulate the stopping of normal senses you could buy it Darkness 1" radius and then extend to effects to the various senses you want it to affect. As long as the mentalist has no personal immunity he'll be affected as well.

So... replace the Concentration, Unaware, and May Not Take Other Actions simply with Side Effects, automatic: 15 AP of Darkness (-1/2), like so?

1d6 Aid: Succor [5 base points], all psionic powers simultaneously (+2), 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), (total advs: +3) [20 active points], Self Only (-1/2), Side Effects: automatic: 15 AP of Darkness (-1/2), Extra Time to activate: 20 minutes (-2 1/2), IIF Bulky (-3/4), (total lims: -3 1/4) [5 real points]