Ranged Disarm

Viper3220

lol after being an idiot and posting on the 5th ed rules question board I've reposted here.... and here it is.

I'm a little confused on this ranged martial maneuver.

It says +3DC to disarm... now it says PLUS 3... so how do you figure out what the base is? certainly not your own strength. A friend told me it'd be how much damage the gun/weapon did... so if the gun did 1d6 then it would be 3DC +3DC from the maneuver, but that seems a little beefy. What do you guys think?

Re: Ranged Disarm

lol after being an idiot and posting on the 5th ed rules question board I've reposted here.... and here it is.

I'm a little confused on this ranged martial maneuver.

It says +3DC to disarm... now it says PLUS 3... so how do you figure out what the base is? certainly not your own strength. A friend told me it'd be how much damage the gun/weapon did... so if the gun did 1d6 then it would be 3DC +3DC from the maneuver, but that seems a little beefy. What do you guys think?

The base is the base damage for whatever weapon you are using to execute the ranged disarm (ie. The Lone Stranger shooting guns out of people's hands would use the base damage of his gun, Babe Roof would use the damage assigned to a baseball when using one to knock a weapon out of someone's hand).

+3DC is a lot, but it doesn't really strike me as being grossly so. All other things being equal, it's the equivalent of getting an extra 15 STR only for disarm. I'm not sure why it's higher than then non-ranged version - I don't have my copy of UMA handy to see what the other modifers are (but I'm guessing it has a pretty steep OCV penalty which could balance out the higher DC pluses).

Re: Ranged Disarm

About the DC issue, I know that all martial DCs added to a Killing Attack are halved, but I don't know what happens when you try to use the KA to disarm someone. Do the DCs of the KA transform into STR, and does the martial DC add straight, or is it still halved if the weapon is a KA?