Uncontrolled but not Continuous

I want to create a Flame Dart power for my players, defined as a 3d6 EB. I want it to ignite creatures, so Uncontrolled. However, Uncontrolled requires Constant. I don't want to give my characters a Flame Thrower, as in, I don't want them to be able to hit a character every turn without making an attack roll. I want them to have to shoot the EB one at a time, not as a constant stream. Is their a special limitation for this?

Thanks,

-cK

That is what Continuous Uncontrolled powers normally do. Continuous means that it affects the target every phase you act, without needing a new attack roll, so long as you concentrate. Uncontrolled removes "so long as you concentrate," so that you can fire the flamebolt and then they burn for the next few turns. As a side note, I would recommend throwing in Penetrating for the purpose of making it a bit more effective.

Another approach to this effect would be to make the Power of the Flame Dart Constant with the Continuous Advantage, but use Continuing Charges for it. The description of Continuing Charges specifically states that for Constant Powers you don't have to add the Uncontrolled Advantage; you can "fire and forget" the charge, which if it hits will continue to affect the target on the attacker's Phases for as long as you define the Charge lasting. The attacker won't have to pay attention to the Flame Dart after he fires it, but neither can he increase its duration without making a subsequent successful attack with another Charge. IMO that sounds like what you're after, but if not post a clarification and we'll see what we can come up with. :)

Originally posted by Grailknight

The correct answer is no. If you want them to make an attack roll every time they damage the target, then its just a plain EB. the igniting is just a special effect.

That was my first thought. I figured fire would ignite anything easily burnable, such as a cotton cloak. But I wanted to allow the player to set fire to platemailed guys, too. So, I tried Uncontrolled. But that requires Continuous, which allows them to use a Flamethrower.

I'm thinking, since I (the GM) will be creating all the powers in the game, that I'll just do a little GM's fiat and use Uncontrolled without Continuous. Do you guys think that would mimic what I'm trying to do, without unbalancing the game?

(Sorry about all the questions, this is my first week really trying to crank out HERO stuff.)