Disadvantage: Held Accountable

MisterVimes

I created an NPC that gets his powers from a "Supreme Being". The character is an "Angel", not a paladin type (though it might work for them as well). I wanted to come up with a way to define that if he ever violated his God's code (not his personal one) that he would lose all of his powers (I thought making it a limitation on his powers was a bit much)... this is what I came up with:

25 Social Limitation: Held Accountable, Very Frequently (14-), Severe

Thoughts? Questions? Queries? Hopes or Dreams you'd like to share?

Re: Re: Disadvantage: Held Accountable

Originally posted by Chaosliege

This sounds good, but I wouldn't think it would be worth 25pts. I mean it's only going to come up if you go against Gods will. How often is that going to happen?

You have hit upon WHY I wanted the imput. If it is a Social limitation (and a Physical one might be better) Then those numbers are right unless one lowers the frequency... hmmm.

The idea looks fine to me.

Might want to tone down on the frequency (like "Subject to Orders") because unless the character is actually in situations "very frequently" where he would be pushing his luck, tempted to break the rules of his powers, etc then it's not "very frequent."

Secondly, if it's so totally against the character's psychological make-up to act against those rules, then, again, it's not something that can be considered "very frequent." I mean, how often is he going to break the rules if he knows he loses his powers... and for how long? Does he have to go around doing good deeds to get them back? Or does he just have to go pray to his god for a couple hours? (the former being more difficult than the latter).

If he can be easily tricked into breaking the rules and people know this, then you might get frequent... but if it's very frequent it pretty much has to happen every game session or so, imo.

It also depends on what would constitute breaking the rules.

For example, if any gal with seduction can get the character to think lusty thoughts or something and that's enough to set off the god's anger at breaking the rules... then it could be more frequent. If lying is enough, too, then the guy has to be extremely careful what he says (especially if maintaining a secret id). So there are more factors to consider :)

Originally posted by Acroyear

It also depends on what would constitute breaking the rules.

For example, if any gal with seduction can get the character to think lusty thoughts or something and that's enough to set off the god's anger at breaking the rules... then it could be more frequent. If lying is enough, too, then the guy has to be extremely careful what he says (especially if maintaining a secret id). So there are more factors to consider :)

I figured the basic Ten Commandments would suffice as the rules (since it's recognized by 3 major religions)... so, no Murder, No Theft, No Coveting (Lusting), No lying, No Swearing, Being respectful to his non-existant parents, No idolatry... the basics

Originally posted by Dr. Propaganda

Pardon what may be a pointless question, but how is this any differnt from a Watched Disadvantage? There is no mechanism for your powers to cut off in mid use, so it seems to me that this is would be just like being watched by a superior.

It could be a Watched, but I felt it was more of a limitation than that. The Mechanism through which the powers are removed is SFX, the powers come from God, he can remove them.

Originally posted by MisterVimes

I figured the basic Ten Commandments would suffice as the rules (since it's recognized by 3 major religions)... so, no Murder, No Theft, No Coveting (Lusting), No lying, No Swearing, Being respectful to his non-existant parents, No idolatry... the basics

Those are pretty basic, though different sects will generally feel that some of those are more important than others. Virtually all muslims feel that idolatry is hands-down the worst crime possible. True, all Jews and Christians feel that idolatry is bad, but some might feel that murder or something else is worse. These are not matters of official dogma, of course. They're just cultural differences. Many muslims, for instance, seem to think that adultery is bad enough to warrant capital punishment.

Chaosliege:

This sounds good, but I wouldn't think it would be worth 25pts. I mean it's only going to come up if you go against Gods will. How often is that going to happen?

That should be up to the GM. The more points that they take, the more often it should come up. What if the PC is up against a villain that's immune to his powers, but an old pagan magic sword is known to be deadly to the villain? Sin isn't just about what harmful to others, its about what's easy.

One little Suggestion Supreme:

Try this out as a susceptibility that drains your powers (3D6 per phase or turn...).

Originally posted by Supreme

Those are pretty basic, though different sects will generally feel that some of those are more important than others. Virtually all muslims feel that idolatry is hands-down the worst crime possible. True, all Jews and Christians feel that idolatry is bad, but some might feel that murder or something else is worse. These are not matters of official dogma, of course. They're just cultural differences. Many muslims, for instance, seem to think that adultery is bad enough to warrant capital punishment.

That should be up to the GM. The more points that they take, the more often it should come up. What if the PC is up against a villain that's immune to his powers, but an old pagan magic sword is known to be deadly to the villain? Sin isn't just about what harmful to others, its about what's easy.

One little Suggestion Supreme:

Try this out as a susceptibility that drains your powers (3D6 per phase or turn...).

As far as the Ten Commandments go, you'll note that the first 5 deal with how man deals with god (and authority) and the second 5 are how man deals with man (as his neighbor), So I always assumed they were in order of importancefrom the supreme (no pun intended) being's POV.

I was looking for a balance that removed the Hero's power and that's why I originally cranked up the frequency, it's a really BIG disadvantage to lose all your powers.

I like the susceptibility, that may actually be the best idea (with a Wacthed to go with it)

Originally posted by MisterVimes

As far as the Ten Commandments go, you'll note that the first 5 deal with how man deals with god (and authority) and the second 5 are how man deals with man (as his neighbor), So I always assumed they were in order of importancefrom the supreme (no pun intended) being's POV.

I was looking for a balance that removed the Hero's power and that's why I originally cranked up the frequency, it's a really BIG disadvantage to lose all your powers.

I like the susceptibility, that may actually be the best idea (with a Wacthed to go with it)

Interesting point about the Commandments. Though isn't #10 "Don't take the LORD's name in vain?" Wouldn't that be more about our relationship with Yahweh, or is it simply a matter of proper conversation?

Glad you like the Susceptibility. The thing about Watched for me is that I can't see how it's a disadvantage (and the fact that so many people use it tends to support that idea, I think) unless the watcher periodically sells their info on you to other enemies. I doubt an angel would be capable of doing that (divine beings not being able to sin or tempt others to sin and all).

Originally posted by Supreme

Interesting point about the Commandments. Though isn't #10 "Don't take the LORD's name in vain?" Wouldn't that be more about our relationship with Yahweh, or is it simply a matter of proper conversation?

The top ten (in order)

1. You shall have no other gods before me.

2. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

4. Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy . Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

5. Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord you God is giving you.

6. You shall not murder.

7. You shall not commit adultery.

8. You shall not steal.

9. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

Glad you like the Susceptibility. The thing about Watched for me is that I can't see how it's a disadvantage (and the fact that so many people use it tends to support that idea, I think) unless the watcher periodically sells their info on you to other enemies. I doubt an angel would be capable of doing that (divine beings not being able to sin or tempt others to sin and all).

Yeah... that was a consideration as well. The NPC says he's an Angel... and ACTS like an Angel, but even *I* am not sure if he's an Angel...

Besides, he could 'fall', it happened to the Morningstar and his wacky crew.