[help] Animal Powers

JmOz

I want to allow a Master of ANimals type character into my game, with preconstructed powers (my world's magic system uses preconstruct spells so it seems fair)

I want sugestions and Ideas for powers with the right animal theme

Currently in the works

Beast Bond: Mind Link with Follower (animal)

Animal Friendship: Broad range Animal handling bought as a power not a skill (My game has some slight mods depending on how you buy it)

Speak to the Beast: Still working on this one, I am leaning towards a mind link, maybe the TP build in FH

One with the Beasts: Clairsentience, senses of another, only bonded beasts

Toying with a Multiform power as well...

Re: [help] Animal Powers

You could pick up skill levels/senses depending on the beast you're "imitating."

Like, say... you cast "Aspect of the Hawk." You now have Telescopic Sight for a limited amount of time.

Or "Aspect of the Polar Bear." You now have a bonus to Survival: Artic regions. Again, limited time.

You could pick up skill levels/senses depending on the beast you're "imitating."

Like, say... you cast "Aspect of the Hawk." You now have Telescopic Sight for a limited amount of time.

Or "Aspect of the Polar Bear." You now have a bonus to Survival: Artic regions. Again, limited time.

I'd take that a step further and allow for some Aid or characteristic increase depending on the animal being emulated:

Aspect of the Bear: STR Aid or Body Aid

Aspect of the Falcom: Dex Aid

Aspect of the Wolf: Tracking Scent

Aspect of the Cheetah: Dex Aid and Running Aid.

I want to allow a Master of ANimals type character into my game' date='[/quote']

Intelligence boost, Usable By/Against Others, only for animals the Master has spent time with in training. Maybe a touch of Universal Translator as well. Basically this explains how the animals that accompany the Master seem almost intelligent at times, able to understand requests and carry out missions. It's also a lot cheaper than buying specific "animal feats", and a lot more flexible.

(But it does also emphasize the cooperative nature of the Animal Master's relationship with them; sure, they may be grateful that your proximity grants them more smarts, but what are you going to give them for carrying this message for you? The character who begins to take his position for granted and treat the animals like servants or slaves instead of partners may, depending on the general temperament of that species, be rejected by his animal companions and find himself abandoned by them.)

I'm thinking of The Beastmaster movie as I write this, if it helps any. You might try watching it for inspiration ;)

Intelligence boost' date=' Usable By/Against Others, only for animals the Master has spent time with in training. Maybe a touch of Universal Translator as well. Basically this explains how the animals that accompany the Master seem almost intelligent at times, able to understand requests and carry out missions. It's also a [i']lot[/i] cheaper than buying specific "animal feats", and a lot more flexible.

(But it does also emphasize the cooperative nature of the Animal Master's relationship with them; sure, they may be grateful that your proximity grants them more smarts, but what are you going to give them for carrying this message for you? The character who begins to take his position for granted and treat the animals like servants or slaves instead of partners may, depending on the general temperament of that species, be rejected by his animal companions and find himself abandoned by them.)

I'm thinking of The Beastmaster movie as I write this, if it helps any. You might try watching it for inspiration ;)

I watched it already =)

The characters own animal companions are being written up as followers, instead of animal intellegence they are being given Near Human Intenlegence, and most have a few more points in INT that there common kin...

Don't forget the Summoning, my good man! In the FH books it usually implies 'Local Creatures' and they are typically Amicable. You can also have the PRE boost when all of a sudden a gang of rats appears at your feet when you whistle...

You can also have the PRE boost when all of a sudden a gang of rats appears at your feet when you whistle...

Then you can roll too high on your Presence attack and they'll never want to leave . . . :nonp:

The Pied Piper of Hamlin, walking away from the rats, thinking "Damn, all I ever wanted to do was play some music for my supper, but these fool townsfolk have no food because they're supporting their local rat population, and now the damn things are following me and they won't stop . . . oh crap, I can't run, then they'll chase me and I have no food, except, oh ****, rats eat people don't they? I am so screwed. When they catch up with me they're going to eat me. Still, they seem willing to hold back so long as I'm playing my pipes, music soothes the savage beast and all that. I wonder how long I can keep playing these. I wonder if the sadistic little beasts are doing this deliberately, like cats playing with their food."

That would be an interesting character - wannabe bard, does have a high Comeliness/Presence but only versus animals :) Uncontrolled animal Summoning, only when most inconvenient for him (GM's option).

That would be an interesting character - wannabe bard' date=' [i']does[/i] have a high Comeliness/Presence but only versus animals :) Uncontrolled animal Summoning, only when most inconvenient for him (GM's option).

Oooooh! Now that I must admit is a good idea indeed!

The next sound you hear is me trying to steal your idea...

With the rat Summon I was going for the opposite effect of scaring off advasaries, but your way works well on an entirely new level. Good one!