Remedial planetology

DigitalGolem

School me on planetary climate, if you would.

I'm working with the planetary genereation rules in Star Hero, and there's something I'm not clear on. During the "life" step, it says that plants remove most of the CO2 from the atmosphere. But after that, what happens to the world's base temperature. Does it stay the same, and if so, how?

Or does it drop due to reduction of the greenhouse effect? This results in some life-bearing worlds eventually becoming too cold to support life. :confused:

Is this an in-game version of an ice-age/thaw cycle? After glaciation sets in, and the plants (mostly) die off, the CO2 level would increase, which will eventually raise the greenhouse effect again, ending the ice age and allowing plant life to return.

Repeat cycle. This is an interesting possiblity; I'm working on a campaign setting where earth-like worlds are extremely rare. And this type of long-term freeze/thaw cycle would fit very well. But I'm not sure how long this cycle would last, or how much time is spent in each phase. If an earth-like world is oscillating between ice ages and warmer conditions, what are the odds of finding it in either state at a given point in time?

Input on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

thanx heaps,

DGv3.0

• 2 weeks later...

re: remedial planetology

Here's a link that has become my Bible on world building:

http://curriculum.calstatela.edu/courses/builders/index.html

It's an actual course taught in Cal State LA by Dr. Viau. It touches on climate, although it has more on astrophysics, geology, and microbiology.

Disclaimer: I just found this site doing a search on world building. I don't claim to have any connection to Dr. Viau or her work.

First, determine if the conditions are ripe for life to evolve. In other words; enough CO2 and the right climate thats not so hot for a runaway greenhouse.

If life has evolved, convert the atmosphere. Then, refigure the climate according to the changes in atmosphere composition. Check SH page 87. (about halfway down the first column).

I too struggled with this, and once I caught on, I sp[ent a lot less time creatin planets. Hope this helps.