Character special abilities

War Cry

Re: Character special abilities

I may have to roll in the cure condition' date=' IIRC that's a condition of a Major Transform, you need to be able to cure it. For example, "kissed by a princess." I'm not going to edit it right now, but I will when I'm more focused.[/quote']

I'd pull off the "Restless Spirit" Limitation (basically a Side Effects, innit?), as it doesn't REALLY effect the character in play at all (maybe his living relatives , but "he's in the Spirit World, stupid!", as it were), but makes for a good set of Reversion conditions (placate the Shaman's Spirit so he agrees to quit punishing you for his death, Find a more boku shaman to force him to leave you alone, etc..)

Two things... well, three.

On Shamanistic Death Curses: this really ... okay, let's back up. My view of Shamanism is much more holistic.

"Shaman" death curses have been around forever. Druids, aboriginies, and a whole horde of asian (summon Susano... Incantations... 2 hours) type shamans. In fact, there is an example of a Shaman Death Curse in The Ultimate Mystic. If anybody knows his mysics, it is Dean Shomshak.

True, modern neo-pagan type shamans probably should not have such a power but in a viking culture it would fit right in.

Technically' date=' strangulation for more than 15 seconds [i']always[/i] carries a risk of permanent damage, every single time. But considering the risk of accidental brain damage or death goes directly against the purpose the hero paid points for, I would probably handwave that away ;)

Say what? People have sleep apnea for much longer than 15 seconds. Deep sea divers can hold their breath for upwards of 5 minutes. Where does this strange and curious technicality come from?

Third...

I really like the Valkyrie battle luck thinga-majiggy.

Say what? People have sleep apnea for much longer than 15 seconds. Deep sea divers can hold their breath for upwards of 5 minutes. Where does this strange and curious technicality come from?
Well, strangulation also cuts off the blood to the brain in most cases (particularly is using a garotte). Maybe that has some potential for lasting effects. I sent a friend into convulsions one time just by choking him for about 4-6 seconds. We were all drunk at the time. :o But the effect of even that limited choke was scary...

Of all places, the BDSM subculture:

http://members.aol.com/oldrope/breath.htm

Interesting. There are some valid points in his article. However, what it boilds down to beyond all the jargon is about the same as saying that "we cannot make cars safe - no amount of driving is safe for you and there is a danger that pulling out of your driveway is dangerous." R-on-T is about as rare as it comes short of cardiotoxic drugs that lengthen the QRS - not impossible - but niether is being hit by lightening on a clear day.

This isn't me saying it is safe to strangle another human being when you have an erection. I certainly isn't safe to drive your car while engaged in sex and for the same reasons it probably isn't safe to strangle someone when you got wood (or they do). I do have bones with the degree of danger asserted ... gotta go to work.

We, the neo-pagan shamanistic community, don't DISPUTE death curses, we simply assert that "shaman" is, in anthropological terms, a MASSIVE umbrella under which many things fall. Since I follow 'neo-pagan' traditions for lack of a better term (learned from my mum) I avoid things like death-curses. ;)

However, there's nothing wrong with building one that has those powers, which is why I set aside my bias and simply built it in a way I thought would fit. I don't see Taking You With Me, You Bastard as being particularly appropriate. Cursing him with Unluck, effectively haunting him? Now that's got panache.

We, the neo-pagan shamanistic community, don't DISPUTE death curses, we simply assert that "shaman" is, in anthropological terms, a MASSIVE umbrella under which many things fall. Since I follow 'neo-pagan' traditions for lack of a better term (learned from my mum) I avoid things like death-curses. ;)

However, there's nothing wrong with building one that has those powers, which is why I set aside my bias and simply built it in a way I thought would fit. I don't see Taking You With Me, You Bastard as being particularly appropriate. Cursing him with Unluck, effectively haunting him? Now that's got panache.

I kinda always thought "I'm Taking You with Me" was pretty fitting with Germanic/Norse tales (the whole Midgard Serpent/Thor and Fenris/Odin thingy). The original poster seemed to think it was a brilliant idea, right in line with what they indended. I don't think anyone was confusing suburban American neo-pagan game modeling-realism in a thread about designing powers to fit a Viking Shaman? I could be wrong.