What I learned playing a cleric

Jomster

Re: What I learned playing a cleric

You don't need the holy power to do it' date=' you just need to [i']claim[/i] you do. *points* "Odin has spoken to me in a dream! That man is a deceiving non-believer!" "Burn the heretic!!!"

Well, yeah, that's the traditional way of doing it.

That I don't HAVE to play a "Cleric" as defined by D&D

A religiously oriented character does not HAVE to have "spells."

A character good at healing people does not HAVE to be some kind of priest, nor do they HAVE to wear armor or be exceptionally good at fighting.

Contrariwise, a warrior who is skilled with a sword can also have First Aid, Herblore, and possibly even (setting permitting) a Healing Spell.

I'm not playing D&D anymore, and I haven't been for 20 years. Instead of having to use one of a limited number of character concepts concocted by the game designer, I can come up with any character concept I choose, give it the abilities justified by the concept, and if the Game Operations Director agrees it's reasonable, I'm ready to play.

Lucius Alexander

Will my First Aid AKA Paramedic skill help me treat the palindromedary if it gets hit by that crab cannon?

Maybe don't take 20 Points of Fanatic.........

Don't call the leader of the other state religion an 'infidel heretic'

Don't investigate your superiors in the militant order for latent heretical tendencies

Don't Teleport into the monastery whilst riding your horse, materialise on the rectory table duing luncheon and say "I have a message from God" - even if you do

Don't let the other crazy cleric in the party let his griffin near your favourite horse.

If You have, remove Horse remains from Griffin's eyrie, before spending all your loot on having said horse ressurected. Horses are scared of heights you know and getting them down is a pain

When in town and you feel Immanent Evil, do not cast your 'Detect Spiritual Alignment' Sense vison Spell, and declaare to the GM that you attack all those you percieve to be evil. Especially don't do this if you are able to go beserk. And especially not if evil children are present.

When sighting the totem beast of your god's arch rival / arch enemy...

Perhaps run rather than "CHARGE!" - just how big was that dragon anyways?

Don't Imagine you are ELijah, when the village kids call you baldy!, or interrupt your rather long casting time crop growth spells.

Do not make healthy life giving Mushroom soup for the villages where you live, when you have a hangover ( fumble Herbalism repeatedly really bad )

And If you do , make sure you have enough 'pre-packaged healing' so that you don't risk mispronouncing your healing spells....

Villagers don't really appreciate the death of their children....

Reputations travel fast too.

When your god provides you with a new horse, do not ever talk to the travelling magic bean salesman.....

{ when Live role playing }

Don't Invoke the divine wrath of your god so loudly that you frighten the non-roleplaying 'normals' with children - also walking through the same woods.

Don't be seen by same 'normals' leading around your 2 cute female familiars on their hands and knees, whilst carrying a mace and making threats at the approcahing adventurers.

DOn't really insist that the wounded actually have to drink your potions for versimilitude....

Probably do carry a spare copy of the Holy Five Bladed Gauntlet of Saint Frederick,/ aka St. Englund in your spell bag.

It takes a while to pull out of the bag and put on, - so you need faithful defenders, but it does inspire fear and terror in rampaging Orcs.

It also inspires fear and terror in your fellow aventurers.

Same glove is also useful when wounded compatriots do not want to return to battle after a 'feeble' healing spell, Helps convince them to rejoin the fray..