Confusion (not the spell example in 5ER)

For a Champions campaign. The villain is a lovely lady fencer, who, for a fee, will uncaringly stick her rapier into anyone you want stuck. As part of her background, she was a dancer (of the arts variety, not the exotic) and has created a fencing style based on her dancing ability.

I have it in my mind that her fluid and supple moves tend to dazzle and confuse her opponents. What are the possible builds here?

INT Drain? Seems logical this could be the answer, but lowering your opponent's INT during combat doesn't really affect the way he fights much.

DEX Drain? Perhaps her moves are such that it tires out her opponent because he's trying to keep up. Based on ECV, maybe.

+x to OCV with rapier? Too simple, really. It would work, and it might be the best answer for a Heroic level campaign, but I'm looking for something more "Champions."

Mind Control (You Can Only Fight Defensively)? Her moves instantly alarm you and make you question your own fighting abilities. To compensate, you instictively resort to fighting defensively, blowing your actions on Abort maneuvers.

Entangle based on ECV? Whacky.

Any ideas? Which of my ideas do you like best?

Re: Confusion (not the spell example in 5ER)

a simple +DCV would also work, "She's just not moving like a fighter!"

Her moves are based on dance, not combat arts, and thus many have a hard time figuring out her next move because of it. Allowing her to otherwise dodge what might have been hits.

Alternative:

Aura of Confusion: Change Environment 4" radius, -2 to Sight Group PER Rolls, -2 OCV, -2 to INT Roll, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (51 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Limited Power Only vs. those that can see her (-1/4) Real Cost: 29

Alternative:

Aura of Confusion: Change Environment 4" radius, -2 to Sight Group PER Rolls, -2 OCV, -2 to INT Roll, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (51 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Limited Power Only vs. those that can see her (-1/4) Real Cost: 29

Ooh nice. I might also add Restrainable since the description is she has to use dance moves in combat.

Also, you can justify some of the special effects of the mind control as to it affecting the character's style.

For instance, she is so skilled that she is establishing a beat/tempo to her dance, and all of a sudden the characters realize that they have been fighting in her rhythm with the dance that she has established, allowing her to control the situation much more to her advantage.

Does that make sense?

Alternative:

I like the negative effects being imposed on the opponent(s), but I'm confused why the core power of the build is Change Environment. Is the environment being changed? Maybe this is some nuance of Change Environment I don't get.

Also, you can justify some of the special effects of the mind control as to it affecting the character's style.

For instance, she is so skilled that she is establishing a beat/tempo to her dance, and all of a sudden the characters realize that they have been fighting in her rhythm with the dance that she has established, allowing her to control the situation much more to her advantage.

Does that make sense?

I just tried creating the build as a Mind Control, as myself suggested it could be, but I'm not sure it would be the way to go. I like it in theory, but the way Mind Control works (and is defended against) doesn't really make sense with the SFX of the ability. But again, I'm not entirely sure. Perhaps with the correct build, Mind Control would be the answer.

I like the negative effects being imposed on the opponent(s)' date=' but I'm confused why the core power of the build is Change Environment. Is the environment being changed? Maybe this is some nuance of Change Environment I don't get.[/quote']

From a normal one, to one of confusion.

Change Environment can be used to change how you react to and work with the environment around you.

That and don't get stuck on the name "Change Environment" - it's simply the base power that allows us to achieve the desired result.

A unique MA style?

• Pirouette Thrust (Defensive Strike) - The character bends and spins to avoid attacks and confuse the opponent, staying on her toes and timing a thrust for just the right moment to take the target by surprise.
  • Tango Tangle (Legsweep) - The character siezes an opportunity to move in close and use her body and blade to throw the target completely off balance.
  • Jazz Juke (Martial Dodge) - Using every plane of movement and every contortion of the body known to (wo)man in a fluid but somehow jerky sequence, the character confuses and avoids opponents with ease.
  • Sharqi Shimmy (Martial Escape) - By twisting and convulsing in a sudden and unpredictable way, the character wiggles out of virtually any hold.
  • Leaping Lunge (Offensive Strike) - In a completely unconventional version of the fleche, the dancer takes a high flying leap, leading with her blade and driving it with the full force of her body.

(One note because I can't help myself: actually fencing has a very distinct tempo, and it is actually by breaking this tempo that you get the advantage; of course, I know this is dramatic fiction and need not match reality....)

...(One note because I can't help myself: actually fencing has a very distinct tempo' date=' and it is actually by [i']breaking[/i] this tempo that you get the advantage; of course, I know this is dramatic fiction and need not match reality....)

The description actually got me thinking of Capoeira which would be very rhythm based.

A unique MA style?

(One note because I can't help myself: actually fencing has a very distinct tempo, and it is actually by breaking this tempo that you get the advantage; of course, I know this is dramatic fiction and need not match reality....)

Exactly.. she forces her opponents into a tempo without them even knowing it.

She controls the tempo, so she can predict what they might be doing (OCV and DCV modifiers), and she can break out of the tempo and completely throw them for a loop, even though it would otherwise be rather obvious.

This calls for a Multipower!

33 Devious Dancing: Multipower, 50-point reserve, all slots Restrainable (-1/2)

3u 1) Confounding Cavort: Drain DEX 3d6, Limited Range (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4)

2u 2) Hypnotic Spin: Mind Control 8d6, Telepathic (+1/4); Target Automatically Breaks Out After One Phase (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Command Must Be A Combat Action/Maneuver (-1/2)

2u 3) Twisting Two-Step: Desolidification (affected by Area Effect and Explosion attacks), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4); Only To Protect Against Damage (-1)

2u 4) Wasting Waltz: Drain END 2d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4), AOE (3" Radius; +1); Only Versus Characters Actively Fighting This Character (-1/2)

42 Total Cost

Confounding Cavort is a complated dance that throws an opponent of choice off balance. Repeated use of this technique could reduce an opponent to a quivering pile of melting jell-o.

Hypnotic Spin is a number of quick and commanding movements that force/convince an opponent to act in a particular manner for a very short time. This can be something as simple as forcing him to drop his weapon, attack a different target, retreat, etc. but the action must be able to be performed quickly, for this technique loses it's hold in mere seconds.

The Twisting Two-Step is a defenseive maneuver that allows the dancer to avoid nearly any attack, regardless of how accurate. The movements are so sudden they eye cannot follow them and it often seems as if attacks pass through or around the dancer.

The Wasting Waltz is often the most effective technique, for it forces opponents to waste time and effort tracking the dancer's seeminly random and pointless gyrations. If effectively maintained, opponents will lack the energy to return attacks or defend themselves.