Need Help Remaking an Old Character

dbcowboy

Haven't played Champions in ages but I picked up Star Hero to use as reference material for another sci-fi game and I was so impressed with the new material that I was hooked once again. Nostalgia kicked in and I've set out to re-imagine some my old characters.

One of my first way back in '89 was Tsunami, a paper-mache brick/energy projector. I wanted her to have a base set of characteristics/powers but to get stronger values when in water. For simplicity's sake, I just bought some additional stats and increases to her defenses/attacks with the limitation Only in Water (-1/4) but that wasn't quite right.

I want this character to become more powerful based on the AMOUNT of water available to her. Just a fire hydrant there, gets a little more powerful. Small reservoir to jump into, a little more powerful. Medium sized lake, even more powerful. Up to: Pacific Ocean, how long can you tread water?

I've come up with two options:

1) By increases for each of the above environments (ie: +5 str small amount of water (-1/4), +5 str reservoir sized (-1/2), +5 str medium lake (-3/4), +5 str large lake (-1), +5 str Gulf of Mexico (-1 1/2), +5 str ocean (-2)) - so i'd have to do that for each characteristic/power I wanted to see increased. Might not go all the way up to ocean, could just stop at large lake.

2) Give her a Variable Power Pool, able to change powers as full or half-phase action and no skill role needed but with some kind of a limitation on the amount of points in the pool she can use based on the amount of water available and maybe a limitation that the pool can only add to characteristics/existing powers, not create new ones (but might allow her to use the points for advantages, so maybe her water blast that effects one hex becomes a 2km tidal wave (megascale advantage) in the ocean).

Anyone done anything similar to this? Any recommendations on either of the above methods, including what would be appropriate values for the disads to the VPP? Got a recommendation for a different approach?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hmmm. Not sure, but I think I'd go with the first option -- though if there's a major connection to an even larger body of water, I'd probably state that the larger body applies, i.e. Gulf of Mexico == Atlantic Ocean, but Hudson Bay does not.

On the other hand, you're going to have to determine exactly how frequently the more major bodies of water are going to be accessible. If the character lives in New York, yes, hydrants are on every street corner, but the river's over there, and the harbor's over there -- just lure the villan over to the harbor, and *POW*. This may take some talking over with your player; on the other hand, you might go the route Doug recommended, figure out an overall/average penalty, and judge it off that. 'X Active Points at Y Level' would be appropriate.

And, to be honest, I really do like the VPP for 'water powers'; again, you might have the maximum actives set to the amount of water. You should probably also set the maximum available pool points based on the available water -- while s/he may be able to do massive things (60 Actives) with the whole ocean available to her, you don't want her to be doing 60 DIFFERENT things with only fire hydrants.

You also need to work out range; does the character have to be immersed in/touching the water, or is there a range for access? Can s/he, standing in Central Park, command the power of the Atlantic Ocean (right nearby) or are they limited to the 'small lake' of water they happen to have one foot in?

Thanks for the comments. The -1 disad sounds like a good place to start. Definitely simplier to calculate.

As far as range, although she had TK Str limited to water (kind of a Green Lantern style manipulation of water, form hammers or fists to harass opponents with), in order to increase her abilities from the water I wanted her to be required to "bond" with the source. So, she'd need to stand in the spray from the hydrant or dive into the lake and spend a half-phase as her powers adjusted. I was thinking that would be a kind of Transformation (basically Instant Change) with a half-phase extra time limit.

Once bonded she'd have to maintain contact, so although she could rise up in a water spout (limited flying, max height of ~20") she'd still be "connected." But encase her in a force bubble or hit her hard enough that she's knocked back onto dry land and she'd loose the extra dice (reverse the above Transformation) and would have to repeat the bonding process.

If I went with the increases coming from a VPP then I agree that she shouldn't be able to do loads of things with a limited amount of water. That's why I wanted to only be able to use the pool to add to her existing characteristics/powers and not to create new ones (that a -1/2 limitation?, I'm not sure). Would be cool to allow for new advantages to some of her powers (keep that at a -1/2 limitation if say that any advantages limited to area effects, megascale and increased knockback? or should it drop to -1/4). Thing is, I was shooting for any increase to be uniform and I think Doug's and my option 1) tend to simulate that better.

I'll start playing with some of these and see how the points fall.

Well, if all you want to do is boost her current abilities -- not tack on adders or enable her to do new things -- then why don't you just go with a Succor?

Elemental Power

Succor, 1 (or 2) d6, to All Water-Related Characteristics/Powers (+2), 0 END (+½), Persistent (+½), Inherent (+¼) [21/42 Actives]; Must be Immersed in Body of Water of Appropriate Size (Variable)

Then limit that per body-of-water size, thus:

Fire Hydrant(s): -¼: 17/34 Pts

Pond/Fountain: -½: 14/28 Pts

Lesser River: -¾: 12/24 Pts

Major River, Lake: -1: 11/21 Pts

Harbor/Bay: -1¼: 9/19 Pts

Sea (Mediterranean, Bay of Fundy, any Great Lake): -1½: 8/17 Pts

Deep Ocean: -2: 7/14 Pts.

Your totals would be 7 (or 14) d6 of Succor, at a cost of 78/ 157 Points: but in deep water, the character would gain 42/84 Active Points in but a few moments' time.

This looks like a major power to me, so I agree with the major cost; theoretically, you could stick 'Self Only (-¼)' on them, which would lower the point totals to 68 and 137 points, respectively, meaning that they'd average 1 extra AP on all their powers per 1.6 CP spent here. Theoretically, you might also be able to tack on 'Always On', but that isn't really a limitation, ergo it ain't worth nothin'. This power, see, you drop her into the water, and it happens.

Also, if you want to get more of a delay on the power, instead of buying dice at the higher end, just increase the maximum effect -- 2 points per 1 AP. You might thus stop the dice at River (3/6 dice), and afterwards just add on 10 or 20 to the maximum at every level, which would put her at ... (add add add) a maximum of 58/116 additional Actives in every characteristic/power if she's been tumbled into an ocean. Bad News for Supervillians.

The only 'problem' with this is that if she's taken from her power source (i.e. knocked out of the water), she loses all of the boost immediately. You can always change this to Aid instead, tack on a Limitation of 'All Points Lost After One Turn', which might be worth a -½ Limitation ...

But think of it: this means points to all characteristics and powers -- Strength, Constitution, Body (most likely), Healing (if the character bought Regeneration: Only In Water), EBs, TK, Defenses (at half, of course), END, STUN ...

This is a very dangerous character.

I like her.

I think I'll use her as a villian. Heh heh heh.

---------------------------

[Added] Built my little water-elemental, with a 'These are the water-powers' block for easy manipulation. Um ... you don't want to piss her off in mid-ocean. Using the 'increased maximum', you're looking at someone with: STR 136, CON 73, BODY 73, 105 REC, 400 END, 300 STUN, a 25½d6 EB, 77 STR TK, 65" Swimming (x8k NonCombat), Regenerates 9 Body per Turn (and comes back from the dead), and has defenses of 27/15 PD/ED plus 22/20 rPD/rED (1/2 vs. Fire).

I think she'll be an ecoterrorist; the best ones like this always are, right? Right?? :D

That was (roughly) 275 points worth of characteristics and powers; I am almost tempted to add Presence and/or Growth as water-based powers; the bigger the drink, the bigger the form, the more, errm, stunning (yes, that's it, stunning) she is. Reminds me of the 'Firestorm' comic where four of the DC Elementals -- Red Tornado, Swamp Thing, Firestorm, and I can't remember the water elemental's name -- showed up to attack a minor Japanese city. They were vast...

Anyhow. Yes, that's the girl. Eyeballing Aid, though, it might be better to get 1d6 Aid, +10 Maximum Points per level, then give a Limitation of 'All AID Points Lost After 1 Turn Out of Appropriate Water Size (-½)'. I say only -½ because it isn't TOO much of a problem, especially if this is 'Fathom, Avatar of Water' -- she isn't ever going to go very far from major amounts of water, i.e. the Mojave Desert is going to be a real rare place to find her. So instead of 126 added points, it's 'only' 122.

I replaced Strength with Growth (at 0 END), all things considered; still not certain about the PRE. That lowers her STR to 90, or 70 if we set the Growth at Persistent; I don't see why it'd have to be. I think I prefer the larger Growth, putting her at 80m tall, a true colossus; come to think of it, there should be a Side Effect with that. 'Side Effect, Area Swamped with Water: 1d6 EB, 0 END (+½), Explosion (+½), Double Knockback (+¾), Continuous (+1) per 2 levels of Growth, Major Effect, Affects only surroundings on the ground, Always Occurs when using Growth: -1½'. At least I think it'd be -1½.

At the maximum (16 Levels) it'd be an 8d6 constant 'water burst' flowing down and around/away from her, double knockback and everything. Bad, bad Fathom, wading through the city streets, washing cars and sh!t away. Granted, this would ALMOST act like a Damage Shield against anyone who wasn't above the surface of where she was walking, i.e. in a building or flying. On the other hand, this is usually going to not matter, since almost as soon as she comes out of the water, she loses the additional power. As a consequence, I think I'd keep this at the -¾ level, then increase it to the full -1½ if/when she ever buys off the 'Aid Points Completely Lost After 1 Turn'.

I don't know, there are more than a few cities that might seriously consider the savings in paying city maintenance to clean the streets vs just having her wade through and scour it clean. Oh, but she'd probably need the Perk: Union Member or she'll just end up getting sued. Those Teamsters don't mess around. :)

But this does beg the question: how are her stats once she's on dry land? She a pushover for any 250pt character at that point? That's going to be the tough part trying to make a hero with this kind of advantage/limitation. Heroes don't pick the battle location very often, so no telling how much water will be available.

Pushover?

Well, yes, actually, she IS a relative pushover. Standing in the middle of dry land nowhere, she has 10 Strength, 15 Con/Body, 50 END, 38 STUN. 2d6 EB, 4/3 Armor, 0 STR TK (limited to things containing/supported by water, or water itself), but 2 levels of Growth (so she COULD have a 20 Str). I'd recommend some basic martial arts, just so she can defend herself -- Block, Disarm, Dodge, and Throw. However, she gains a swift 16 Actives (more-or-less doubling her abilities) if she pops open a fire hydrant and stands in the shower; if she popped open several in the same area, I'd give her the next step up, ergo another 16 Actives.

So yes, she's a pushover until/unless she gains access to water. Of course, that's pretty much what you're looking at, here, right? "Hi. I'm Water Maid. Guess what I do?"

Oh yes, I also gave her a 23 Dex and a 6 SPD; water is deceptively swift, and amazingly, err, agile...

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I don't have HeroBuilder or whatever for FREd. I do, however, have a quick and steady (yeah, right) hand; this version is a 406-point NPC to be used in my dark-nasty campaign.

[b][size=+1]Fathom[/size][/b]
10/20	STR	0
23	DEX	39
10/15	CON	0
10/17	BODY	0
17	INT	7
22	EGO	24
10/15	PRE	0
18	COM	4
2	PD	0
2/3	ED	0
6	SPD	27
4/10	REC	0
20/50	END	0
20/40	STUN	0
Characteristics Cost: 101

5	EC (Water) (5)	
5a)	+5 CON (Water)	
5b)	+5 BODY (Water)	
5c)	+5 PRE, Persistent (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Cancel: Equal	
PRE/EGO (Always On)	
5d)	+5 REC (Water)	
5e)	+20 END (Water)	
5f)	+10 STUN (Water)	
26g)	PKG (Mutant Powers), "Resurrection/Regeneration", Extra Time	
 (-1), time: 1 turn, Self Only (-1/2), 0 END Persistent (+1), 	
Healing (Regeneration, 1 BODY) (Mutant Powers), Healing 	
 (Resurrection) (Mutant Powers), Healing (Limbs) (Mutant	
Powers)	
5h)	+5" Swimming (Water), x4 Non-Combat	1
2i)	5" Flight (Water), Only Above Water (-1/2), Max Height = Max	
Speed - Actual Speed (-1)	1
3j)	4/3 Armor (Water), 1/2 Effect vs. Fire (-1/2)	
7k)	1 1/2D6 EB (Water), Double Knockback (+3/4)	1
3l)	0 STR TK (Water), fine manipulation, Must Contain/Be Supported	
By Water (Limited Height) (-1/2)	1
6m)	2 LVLS Growth (stats already included), Side F/X (-3/4), 0 END	
 (+1/2): 3.2m, 400kg, -1 DCV, -2 KB	0
0	PKG (Water), "Side Effect (Per 2 Lvls of Growth)"	
(19)	1D6 EB (Water), Always Occurs (0), Only vs. Ground Targets (0), 0	
END (+1/2), Explosion (+1/2), Double Knockback (+3/4), Continuous	
 (+1)	0

115	PKG	
(17)	EC (Water) (8), Body of Water: Hose/Hydrant (-1/4), Self Only	
 (-1/4), All Points Lost after 1 Turn Out of Water (-1/2), vs.	
SF/X, All Powers (+2), 0 END Persistent (+1), Inherent (+1/4)	
(17a))	Aid, 1d6, +12 Maximum (18)	
(15b))	Aid, 1d6, +12 Maximum (36), Body of Water: Fountain/Pool	
 (-1/4)	
(14c))	Aid, 1d6, +12 Maximum (54), Body of Water: Lesser River (-1/2)	
(12d))	Aid, 1d6, +12 Maximum (72), Body of Water: Major River/Lake	
 (-3/4)	
(11e))	Aid, 1d6, +12 Maximum (90), Body of Water: Harbor/Bay (-1)	
(10f))	Aid, 1d6, +12 Maximum (108), Body of Water: Lesser Sea/Great	
Lake (-1 1/4)	
(10g))	Aid, 1d6, +12 Maximum (126), Body of Water: Major Sea/Gulf (-1	
1/2)	
(9h))	Aid, 1d6, +12 Maximum (144), Body of Water: Ocean (-1 3/4)	

4	Martial Block	
4	Martial Disarm	
3	Martial Grab	
3	Martial Throw	
3	Acrobatics 14-	
3	Breakfall 14-	
3	Bureaucratics 12-	
3	Contortionist 14-	
3	Deduction 12-	
1	Demolitions 8-	
0	Lang: English, native	
4	Lang: Japanese, native accent	
3	Lang: Russian, fluent w/accent	
3	Lip Reading 11-	
2	Navigation 11-, Only In Water (-1/2)	
3	Oratory 12-	
3	Paramedic 12-	
3	Persuasion 12-	
2	Shadowing 11-, Only In Water (-1/2)	
3	Stealth 14-	
1	Tactics 8-	
2	Tracking 12-, Only In Water (-1/2)	

3	Scholar	
2	KS: Other 12-, (INT based)	

3	Traveler	
2	AK: Other 12-, (INT based)	
1	AK: Other 11-	

11	PKG (Water), "Life Support: Water Elemental"	
(5)	Breathe Water (Water)	
(1)	High Pressure (Water)	
(2)	Intense Cold (Water)	
(1)	Immunity: Poisons (Water), Not Yet Active (-10)	
(1)	Immunity: Diseases (Water), Not Yet Active (-10)	
(1)	Immortal (Does Not Age) (Water), Not Yet Active (-10)	
3	Double Jointed	
2	Bump Of Direction, Only Over Water (-1/2)	
2	Absolute Time Sense, Only In Water (-1/2)	
3	Simulate Death	

Powers Cost: 305
Total Cost: 406

Base Points: 200
15	Accidental Chg, "Takes Body Damage", common, occur 11-
10	Enraged, "Witnesses Watercourse Polluted", uncommon, occur 14-, 
 recover 11-
15	Distinctive, "'Liquid'-Looking", concealable, major
10	Watched, "NS-PAR", as powerful, non-combat influence, harsh, 
 appear 11-
20	Hunted, "Whaling Industry", less powerful, non-combat
 influence, harsh, appear 14-
20	Hunted, "Oil Companies", as powerful, non-combat influence, 
 harsh, appear 11-
25	Psych Lim, "Protective of Aquasphere", very common, total
15	Psych Lim, "Casual Killer", common, strong
15	Psych Lim, "Call to Power", common, strong
15	Vuln, "Fire", very common, x1 1/2 stun
15	Vuln, "Fire", very common, x1 1/2 stun

Disadvantages Total: 175
Experience Spent: 31
Total Points: 406

A few notes:

• She doesn't have KS's yet. These should be appropriate 'hydro-sphere biologist' knowledge skills; perhaps she was an oceanographer before she 'transformed', or an eco-activist -- or both.
  • She doesn't have her AKs defined, either. Going by her languages, she should be a PacRim girl, Tokyo, Japan, Kamkatchka Peninsula, The Alaskan-Canadian Intracoastal Waterway, that sort of thing.
  • Her Presence is 'Uncontrolled', by which I mean that it is always in effect -- people twitch just looking at her. Being in her presence for a long period of time may inure you to her 'aura', but for the most part, that's only going to be a 'constant' base 1d6 PRE Attack.
  • Yes, some of her abilities are 'In/On/Under Water Only'. So what? Makes sense to me.
  • She doesn't have those immunities 'yet' -- but they're all logical parts of the 'water elemental' package, so they're there for now, sort of the '1 point for a talent'.
  • NS-PAR was suggested from somewhere else as being the paranormal-watch people; she'd undoubtedly be watched/hunted by the government.

Yes, she's a little underpowered As Is; 20 Strength, but a good Dex and SPD. Her first moves are most likely to be opening up the nearest fire hydrant or splashing into the nearest pool. Please note that 'Flight' is only Above Water -- she 'flies' by means of a waterspout or whatever you want to call it -- a reverse whirlpool?

Also, here are three 'versions' of Fathom -- the 'fire hydrant' girl, the 'multiple hydrants/pond' girl, and the 'oh-my-god-protect-me' Vengeful Goddess Of The Ocean.

Note that her PRE-based skills -- bureaucratics and the like -- can rise to Very Impressive Levels when she's in full-bore water form. (Hey, you going to tell the 250m 200kt living-water woman that hey, sorry, but red tape's red tape??)

[b][size=+1]Fathom (1 Level of Enhancement)[/size][/b]
10/30	STR	0
23	DEX	39
10/24	CON	0
10/28	BODY	0
17	INT	7
22	EGO	24
10/24	PRE	0
18	COM	4
2	PD	0
2/5	ED	0
6	SPD	27
4/21	REC	0
20/104	END	0
20/73	STUN	0

14	EC (Water) (14), "Fire Hydrant"	
14a)	+14 CON (Water)	
14b)	+14 BODY (Water)	
14c)	+14 PRE, Persistent (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Cancel: Equal	
PRE/EGO (Always On)	
14d)	+14 REC (Water)	
14e)	+56 END (Water)	
14f)	+28 STUN (Water)	
30g)	PKG (Mutant Powers), "Resurrection/Regeneration", Extra Time	
Healing (Regeneration, 2 BODY) (Mutant Powers), Healing 	
Powers)	
14h)	15" Swimming (Water), x16 Non-Combat	3
6i)	14" Flight (Water), Only Above Water (-1/2), Max Height = Max	
Speed - Actual Speed (-1)	3
9j)	7/6 Armor (Water), 1/2 Effect vs. Fire (-1/2)	
14k)	3D6 EB (Water), Double Knockback (+3/4)	3
9l)	12 STR TK (Water), fine manipulation, Must Contain/Be	
Supported By Water (Limited Height) (-1/2)	3
9m)	4 LVLS Growth (stats already included), Side F/X (-3/4), 0 END	
 (+1/2): 5m, 1.6 tons, -2 DCV, -4 KB	0
0	PKG (Water), "Side Effect (Per 2 Lvls of Growth)"	
(37)	2D6 EB (Water), Always Occurs (0), Only vs. Ground Targets (0), 0	
 (+1)	0

[b][size=+1]Fathom (2 Levels of Enhancement)[/size][/b]
10/40	STR	0
23	DEX	39
10/33	CON	0
10/39	BODY	0
17	INT	7
22	EGO	24
10/33	PRE	0
18	COM	4
2	PD	0
2/7	ED	0
6	SPD	27
4/32	REC	0
20/158	END	0
20/107	STUN	0

23	EC (Water) (23), "Fountain/Pond/3+ Fire Hydrants"	
23a)	+23 CON (Water)	
23b)	+23 BODY (Water)	
23c)	+23 PRE, Persistent (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Cancel: Equal	
PRE/EGO (Always On)	
23d)	+23 REC (Water)	
23e)	+92 END (Water)	
23f)	+46 STUN (Water)	
35g)	PKG (Mutant Powers), "Resurrection/Regeneration", Extra Time	
Healing (Regeneration, 3 BODY) (Mutant Powers), Healing 	
Powers)	
23h)	28" Swimming (Water), x32 Non-Combat	6
9i)	23" Flight (Water), Only Above Water (-1/2), Max Height = Max	
Speed - Actual Speed (-1)	5
15j)	10/9 Armor (Water), 1/2 Effect vs. Fire (-1/2)	
24k)	5 1/2D6 EB (Water), Double Knockback (+3/4)	5
15l)	24 STR TK (Water), fine manipulation, Must Contain/Be	
Supported By Water (Limited Height) (-1/2)	5
13m)	6 LVLS Growth (stats already included), Side F/X (-3/4), 0 END	
 (+1/2): 8m, 6.4 tons, -4 DCV, -6 KB	0
0	PKG (Water), "Side Effect (Growth)"	
(19)	3D6 EB (Water), Always Occurs (0), Only vs. Ground Targets (0), 0	
 (+1)	0

[b][size=+1]Fathom (8 Levels of Enhancement)[/size][/b]
10/115	STR	0
23	DEX	39
10/87	CON	0
10/108	BODY	0
17	INT	7
22	EGO	24
10/87	PRE	0
18	COM	4
2	PD	0
2/17	ED	0
6	SPD	27
4/96	REC	0
20/482	END	0
20/311	STUN	0

77	EC (Water) (77), "The Ocean"	
77a)	+77 CON (Water)	
77b)	+77 BODY (Water)	
77c)	+77 PRE, Persistent (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Cancel: Equal	
PRE/EGO (Always On)	
77d)	+77 REC (Water)	
77e)	+308 END (Water)	
77f)	+154 STUN (Water)	
53g)	PKG (Mutant Powers), "Resurrection/Regeneration", Extra Time	
Healing (Regeneration, 8 BODY) (Mutant Powers), Healing 	
Powers)	
77h)	79" Swimming (Water), x64K Non-Combat	16
31i)	77" Flight (Water), Only Above Water (-1/2), Max Height = Max	
Speed - Actual Speed (-1)	15
51j)	29/26 Armor (Water), 1/2 Effect vs. Fire (-1/2)	
77k)	17 1/2D6 EB (Water), Double Knockback (+3/4)	15
51l)	96 STR TK (Water), fine manipulation, Must Contain/Be	
Supported By Water (Limited Height) (-1/2)	15
46m)	21 LVLS Growth (stats already included), Side F/X (-3/4), 0	
END (+1/2): 250m, 200kt, -14 DCV, -21" KB	0
0	PKG (Water), "Side Effect (Growth)"	
(19)	10½D6 EB (Water), Always Occurs (0), Only vs. Ground Targets (0), 0	
 (+1)	0

At this point she can lift battleships and aircraft carriers in one arm -- and is big enough to look like she's carrying it as a toy. 250m -- 812' 6" -- that's 80-90 stories tall !!

Of course, with that full-bore regeneration/limbs/resurrection -- the 'stopping' of which would be either to seal her body in a waterproof container or to destroy her completely by way of fire/flame/heat -- even killing her is going to be very, very tough. Heck, even a tac nuke (depending on how you run it, and if she sees it coming soon enough to dive) might not kill her...

Forgot one thing -- she should, of course, be able to Sense Water, Ranged, 360 Degree, targetting. Even Discriminatory and Analyze. This would, of course, give her a very, very good idea of where people are. Hmmm...

Sense Water: Detect A Class of Things (Water, 5), Sense (2), Range (5), Discriminatory (5), Analyze (5), 360 Degree (5), Targetting (10): 37 Points.