How do I build: Foci enhanced powers

bryanb

Re: How do I build: Foci enhanced powers

The problem with that aproach is that as soon as you say that a multipower of reserve active points of A' + B' with all slots constructed with compound power A + B where reserve B' and power B have a common limitation and power A is usable by itself without the limitation you have, in fact, created 2 different multipowers and thus violated the quoted rule.

I am not saying I totally agree with this rule. I am just pointing out what the rule currently is.

I used to think that one way around this was possible via Variable Limitation but recently discovered that this Limitation is not allowed on a Multipower Reserve.

Whatever. The rules are to help us build and balance our powers, not to get in the way. I frankly don't give a damn what they say if they make it impossible for me to do what I want.

Whatever. The rules are to help us build and balance our powers' date=' not to get in the way. I frankly don't give a damn what they say if they make it impossible for me to do what I want.[/quote']

That's fine but I would hazard a guess that a large majority of the posters on the Hero System Discussion are interested in discussing the published rules as a common point of reference since anything else is just personal house rules. Heck, I've managed to get Steve L. to change his stance on a rule or 2 based on some these discussions.

With regard to this thread's topic I would like to add 1 more reason to support to the Aid/Succor construction (rules legal as far as I can tell).

If constructed correctly it can add to ALL powers of given sfx for a FLAT COST. This makes a lot of sense to me. (edit for additional thought). An EB with Variable Advantage would have a flat cost to add limited power to. Same for a VPP. Why would you want to treat a Multipower any different?

A Partialy Limited multipower as suggested in this thread will not have this flat cost, instead it will be proportional. When the character spends XP to buy a NEW SLOT he will also have to invest points in the FOCUS if he wants that new slot to get the benefit like everything else in the multipower construct.

In fact, it would constitute ANOTHER rules violation for him NOT TO since the multipower reserve is taking the limitation (which is only legal if ALL slots have it too).

Whatever. The rules are to help us build and balance our powers' date=' not to get in the way. I frankly don't give a damn what they say if they make it impossible for me to do what I want.[/quote']

Agreed. I don't see it as building two Multipowers, with one feeding into the other. I see it as having a Multipower with a bunch of powers that are usable at full strength only if you have your whatzit, and at a reduced level if you don't.

Agreed. I don't see it as building two Multipowers' date=' with one feeding into the other. I see it as having a Multipower with a bunch of powers that are usable at full strength only if you have your whatzit, and at a reduced level if you don't.[/quote']

see my previous post.

What if the character is faced with a Cyberkinetic character whose sfx can affect 'whatzits' (edit: with adjustment powers) but not the character's base powers?

see my previous post.

What if the character is faced with a Cyberkinetic character whose sfx can affect 'whatzits' (edit: with adjustment powers) but not the character's base powers?

same with any other Partially Limited Power in the same way - the whatizs part is affected.

same with any other Partially Limited Power in the same way - the whatizs part is affected.

I'm talking specifics.

The Cyberkinetic's drain could conceivably be affecting just 1 power when targeting the device. However, the whatzits is not providing just 1 power since it is intertwined with the multipower reserve and every slot.