How do I build: Foci enhanced powers

bryanb

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to ask everyone a quick question on how to create a series of powers.

Now, the concept is this - the person is a mutant that has certain powers. These powers are enhanced in strength when using different focii (one foci for each).

So, originally the powers (say EB, Egoblast and Flash) are built in a multipower. I know want to add the effect of amplifying a powers (adding more dice) when a focus is used, with each power having a different focus. Note that the focus is not required to use the power, it only strengthens it.

So how does everyone (anyone?) suggest I go from here? Linked doesn't seem right and I'm kinda stumped...

The collective wisdom of the boards is greatly appreciated.

***If someone could advise how to do this in HD it would REALLY help!!***

Daz

Re: How do I build: Foci enhanced powers

As far as HD 3.0 goes, I have no clue (still haven't gotten it yet). But as for building it in HERO, it's easy.

Blinding Lights : 6d6 Sight Group Flash, blah blah Ads; blah blah Lims.

Glitter Makes It Worse: +3d6 Sight Group Flash, blah blah Ads; blah blah Lims, OIF - jar of glitter (-1/2).

Total effect: 9d6 Sight Group Flash.

Back in 4th, there was a lot of fun to be had with partially Limited Powers - powers with Disads on only some of the effect. This was very common with Lims like Increased END and Extra Time. FREd makes it a little easier by telling you to build the base of the power, and the differently-limited icing is built seperately and simply called the rest of the power.

Take a look in the back of USPD I for Energy Conversion for a great - simple - build in this vein.

Thanks for the quick reply - another question though.

The "Gitter Makes it worse" would be built out of the MP...correct? Are there any special restrictions for this?

If anyone else knows how to do this in HD it would be a great help!

Thanks

Daz

Right, basically that's it.

You could try something like this (Hero Designer, or your GM, may puke on this).

Multipower Reserve, X points

(m) Slot One

(m) Slot Two

(m) Slot Three

Multipower Reserve, Y points, OIF Thingy (-1/2), Linked (-1/2) to above multipower.

(m) Slot One, OIF Thingy (-1/2), Linked (-1/2) Slot One above

(m) Slot Two, OIF Thingy (-1/2), Linked (-1/2) Slot Two above

(m) Slot Three, OIF Thingy (-1/2), Linked (-1/2) Slot Three above

Note this requires only one Foci (The Thingy). If you have more than one, the reserve of the second multipower proabably qualifies for a -1/4 lim at most.

This allows you to use the first multipower, and the second if you have a foci, but you can't use the second by itself, even if you have the foci.

Back in 4th' date=' there was a lot of fun to be had with partially Limited Powers - powers with Disads on only some of the effect.[/quote']

Partially limited powers was what I had in mind, too:

Assume a 45-point reserve for the Multipower. Going by 4th Edition point costs (because I know that HA levels, at least, have been changed/fixed), I'll model an RKA and a Flash power, each with different Foci. I'll also need to give their Multipower slot cost (real points divided by 5), which I'll abbreviate as MP:

Flames of Ra 2d6 RKA (30 AP, 30 RP, 6 MP)

Eye of Ra +1d6 RKA (15 AP), Focus: magnifying glass (10 RP, 2 MP)

Solar Flare 2d6 Flash: Sight Group (30 AP, 30 RP, 6 MP)

Solar Oven +1d6 Flash: Sight Group (20 AP), Focus: mirror (13 RP, 3 MP)

Awkward (the math didn't work out exactly, I had to think up mutant powers first and then adjust the MP reserve because Flash had a cost adder and the power concept would affect the entire sight group), but serviceable. Also, the "Oven" part is misnamed, that goes more with a damage power than a blinding power.

Partially limited powers was what I had in mind, too:

Assume a 45-point reserve for the Multipower. Going by 4th Edition point costs (because I know that HA levels, at least, have been changed/fixed), I'll model an RKA and a Flash power, each with different Foci. I'll also need to give their Multipower slot cost (real points divided by 5), which I'll abbreviate as MP:

Flames of Ra 2d6 RKA (30 AP, 30 RP, 6 MP)

Eye of Ra +1d6 RKA (15 AP), Focus: magnifying glass (10 RP, 2 MP)

Solar Flare 2d6 Flash: Sight Group (30 AP, 30 RP, 6 MP)

Solar Oven +1d6 Flash: Sight Group (20 AP), Focus: mirror (13 RP, 3 MP)

Awkward (the math didn't work out exactly, I had to think up mutant powers first and then adjust the MP reserve because Flash had a cost adder and the power concept would affect the entire sight group), but serviceable. Also, the "Oven" part is misnamed, that goes more with a damage power than a blinding power.

That's pretty straightforward but....should there be another lim on the booster powers (Eye of Ra and Solar oven)? I say this because the idea would be that if the MP is unable to be used (say...a mutant suppressor field) the additional powers would not be able to be used either?

What do you think?

Thanks for the info!

That's pretty straightforward but....should there be another lim on the booster powers (Eye of Ra and Solar oven)? I say this because the idea would be that if the MP is unable to be used (say...a mutant suppressor field) the additional powers would not be able to be used either?

They would all be classified as "mutant powers", so any "mutant suppressor field" would affect each of them, not just one. The character could hypothetically put their MP points into Flames of Ra and Solar Oven, though, and I'm not sure if that would have any effect. Either the Solar Oven would have no effect because Solar Flare wasn't active, or you would need to introduce some element of randomness and just buy it as a straight Aid (or is it Succor?) to the appropriate power; Aid doesn't let you boost a power you don't have (it explicitly forbids giving the character powers they didn't have, this way).

You might be able to take it as a single Aid, in fact, to "any other power inside the Multipower". No, wait; something about the powers inside a framework exceeding their initial build limit strikes me as off about this :help:

Multipower Reserve, X points

(m) Slot One

(m) Slot Two

(m) Slot Three

Multipower Reserve, Y points, OIF Thingy (-1/2), Linked (-1/2) to above multipower.

(m) Slot One, OIF Thingy (-1/2), Linked (-1/2) Slot One above

(m) Slot Two, OIF Thingy (-1/2), Linked (-1/2) Slot Two above

(m) Slot Three, OIF Thingy (-1/2), Linked (-1/2) Slot Three above

That's the way I'd do it, except without the Linked Limitation anywhere. Linked is for powers that must be used with each other, but that do not add to each other. For example, if you buy:

EB: 10d6

EB: +3d6; Only When... (-...)

the extra dice of EB do not get Linked, but they do form a 13d6 attack rather than a 10d6 attack and a 3d6 attack that apply separately to defenses.

I agree with Prestidigitator, Lined is not appropriate for this.

This simply a Partially Limited Power:

Mulipower Pool Xpoints + Ypoints;OAF

1u) Xpoints + Ypoints;OAF

2u) Xpoints + Ypoints;OAF

The fact that when it gets built in Hero Designer it's bought as two seperate Pools because HD doesn't have a way of creating Partially Limited Powers easily is simply an artifact of notation. Not Mechanics.

That's the way I'd do it' date=' except without the [i']Linked[/i] Limitation anywhere. Linked is for powers that must be used with each other, but that do not add to each other. For example, ...

Ooo, didn't know that, thanks for the catch.

So far this thread appears to be a revival of the partially limited multipower and/or mpa threads of the recent past.

The proposed partialy limited multipower builds are not legal (by 5er rules, not just HD).

However, another approach that might be legal and accomplish the same effect would be to build the focus using an Aid or Succor with standard effect.

Right. Technically it becomes legal if you reduce the value of the Limitation instead of only applying it to part of the Power/Framework (e.g., "Loses half effectiveness without OAF (-1/4)"). I find the partial-pool method a lot more appealing aesthetically and mathematically, and see no reason it should be illegal. So there's a rule I just flat out ignore in my campaigns. (Note: the question was how to do it, not how to do it in, "a completely official-rules-legal way.")

Hero System also normally allows a pretty fine-grained approach to character building. There's not much difference between 10 PD and 11 PD, but Hero allows you to buy PD in single points.

The -1/4 Power Works at Half Effectiveness Without OIF is pretty coarse by contrast. It's half power or nutin'. The partial pool method allows the player to get exactly the limitation they want, and pay for it appropriately.

I find most players seem to enjoy getting exactly the character they want. Its one of the strengths of the Hero System, and something most people seem to enjoy very much. I liken it to the character creation system in City of Heroes.

If the partial pool method is illegal, I'd like to see Steve officially recognize it and bless it.

see this post:

Re: Partially Limited Multipower Reserve?

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=708243&postcount=6

it states 5er 310 but I don't have my copy handy to confirm.

Paraphrasing (because I don't want to get in trouble for quoting too much) the only bit on p. 310 that mentions anything about this is the first "example" under the No Combining Of Frameworks subsection of General Rules, which says (roughly):

You can't have a slot in a Framework that adds to another slot in the same or another Framework.

Technically, we don't want that. We want a Partially Limited Power, with which Hero Designer has issues, but is doable if you're willing to visualize creatively. Simply build the power in question as a Compound Power, with the extra focus-requiring-power as next power in the build. When it comes time to print out your sheet, bring it up as an alterable file, and go through adding "+" signs.

It's even easier if you're doing this by pencil. Just build the focusless power as normal, then say plus and put the focused power; maybe point out the full effect on the next line for ease of use.

The problem with that aproach is that as soon as you say that a multipower of reserve active points of A' + B' with all slots constructed with compound power A + B where reserve B' and power B have a common limitation and power A is usable by itself without the limitation you have, in fact, created 2 different multipowers and thus violated the quoted rule.

I am not saying I totally agree with this rule. I am just pointing out what the rule currently is.

I used to think that one way around this was possible via Variable Limitation but recently discovered that this Limitation is not allowed on a Multipower Reserve.

Start by designing the basic Multipower, without the Focus enhancements.

The enhancements could then be done as an Aid, with enough Variable Effect to increase the Reserve and all of the Slots simultaneously, or just the slots if the Reserve is already bigger.

In the Focus description, there's a section on Multiple Foci. In a nutshell, if a Power requires more than one Focus, but operates at reduced effectiveness if only some of the Foci are lost, the value of the Limitation is reduced by -1/4.

So if you had a 4 Slot Multipower and 5 OAFs, one for each slot and one for the Reserve, it would be a -3/4 Limitation on the Aid.