Desolid requires Life Support?

xirr2000

Seems weird to me but according to 5ER Desolid prevents you from taking damage from attacks but not from taking damage due to environment. Seems to me that you would be equally immune to both and for the same reason, of course this can be modified by sfx of the power in question. But say if you were taking casper the friendly ghost type of desolid into account you simply are not affected by the material world, right? If you were then a bullet would hurt you as much as anything else. Why do you have to also buy LS only when desolid for all this?

Re: Desolid requires Life Support?

Exactly what are you refering to?

The only LS that you "need" for Desol is usually Etended Breathing or Self Containd Breathing so that you don't run out of air while cruising around in solid stone and such. You can also starve yourslef to death if you stay desoldified for too long. Potentially, you could take falling damage if you wanted to, but life support isn't going to help you there anyhow...

Seems weird to me but according to 5ER Desolid prevents you from taking damage from attacks but not from taking damage due to environment. Seems to me that you would be equally immune to both and for the same reason' date=' of course this can be modified by sfx of the power in question. But say if you were taking casper the friendly ghost type of desolid into account you simply are not affected by the material world, right? If you were then a bullet would hurt you as much as anything else. Why do you have to also buy LS only when desolid for all this?[/quote']

For the same reason you have to buy Flight if you want to fly. Kitty Pride can be taken out by gas. So can Ghost.

Why do you have to also buy LS only when desolid for all this?

Not for all of it. If you're in regular air, you can breathe it and it isn't solid to you, whether you yourself are Solid or Desolid; but, if you become Desolid and float out the nearest airlock, you may have trouble moving around outside the space shuttle without being seen by anyone inside it. The plan is fine on the surface, but just because you're Desolid, doesn't mean you carry your own air supply with you; just because you can interact normally with the air around you, doesn't mean you get to act normally when there isn't any air around you. The same goes with solid stone; can you breathe stone?

I guess my view is that becoming desolid seems to imply that you no longer interact with the physical world. You can pass through objects, weapons dont affect you and in return you cant physically affect the world or interact with it until you become solid again. Thing is, why do they draw the line at breathing? Breathing is interacting with the physical world, whether it is solid, liquid or gas it doesn't matter. Shouldn't the oxygen molecules just pass right through you just like everything else when you try to breath? If so what are you breathing then? If not, then why does oxygen interact with a desolid character when a bullet does not?

I understand that some builds sfx may lead them to still have a need to breath, but standard desolid as it is written does not really make sense that you would even be able to breath at all, whether you were in stone or standing out in the open.

Desolid specifically states that a character must still breathe and that gas based attacks affect him normally (5ER pp147-148; the top of p148 states this explicitly).

So no - as it's base level Desolidification does NOT prevent you from interacting with gas based physical objects.

Oh and by the way, regaring that OTHER thread trying to apply science to a game mechanic:

Page 148 The Drawbacks Of Intagibility - a Desol character does not stop at the ground, he keeps falling until he wills himself to stop - then he takes normal falling damage.

DESOL is a MECHANIC and thus requires GAME BALANCE. One such balance is not allowing one power to supply the effects of another power: Life Support - Breathing in this case. Or Flight to walk up air.

Apply rubber science, real science or any other science AFTER you've figured out your Special Effects. Then build appropriately.

And now I exit, stage left.

I guess my view is that becoming desolid seems to imply that you no longer interact with the physical world. You can pass through objects' date=' weapons dont affect you and in return you cant physically affect the world or interact with it until you become solid again. Thing is, why do they draw the line at breathing? [/quote']

Because otherwise you'd suffocate.

These are the things that are just the beginning of why I believe the following is true:

Desolidification is a SFX, not a Power.

It should be removed and replaced with a simpler power and called "Intangiblity".

And that's all I'm going to say about that.

Just My Humble Opinion

- Christopher Mullins

I guess my view is that becoming desolid seems to imply that you no longer interact with the physical world. You can pass through objects' date=' weapons dont affect you and in return you cant physically affect the world or interact with it until you become solid again. Thing is, why do they draw the line at breathing? Breathing is interacting with the physical world, whether it is solid, liquid or gas it doesn't matter.[/quote']

For the same reason that Desolid doesn't make one step to an extradimensional space where the laws of physics don't apply, inertia doesn't affect you (causing you to hurtle off into space, left behind by the spinning planet), or light passes through instead of into your eyes. Though built as "to everything" by default, this is necessary to maintain simplicity; the effect, even if not explicitly declared as such, is to become Desolid to various effects the character was previously solid to.

In the base power build, the character does not buy Desolid for any nonstandard interaction with air. Therefore, they still interact with air as normal.

breath - rhymes with "death," short 'e', unvoiced 'th', a noun, as in "catch one's breath," "out of breath," "take a deep breath," "take my breath away," etc.

breathe - rhymes with "seethe," long 'e', voiced 'th', a verb, as in "I can't breathe," "breathe easy," "breathe the vapor, breathe the relief," etc.

The power Desolid, is a game mechanical effect. It means you can pass through solid objects, solid objects pass through you, and you don't take damage from most attack forms. That's it, period. It doesn't necessarily have any basis in the laws of physics. Trying to fit this square peg of game mechanics into the round hole of RW physics will only confuse and frustrate you. After all, a Desolid character still interacts with the real world in many ways: you're still drawn by gravity toward the planet you're standing on, you still breathe (not breath) the air, you still see light and hear sound, other people still see light reflected off of you and hear any sounds that you make. Why? Not because it makes any sense physics-wise, but because you haven't spent character points to change those other effects - e.g., flight to ignore the gravity, LS to not have to breathe, Invisibility to not have light reflect off of you, etc. HERO gives to Powers to purchase "a la carte" - you get the game effects you pay for. You don't buy physics.