[CHAR] Uncle Samedi

Haerandir

On Lord Liaden's "How would you use Takofanes?" thread {http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45913), I made an off-hand comment about a character idea I'd come up with. People seemed to like it, so I buckled down and actually threw together a preliminary writeup. Since I'll almost certainly never use it, I thought I'd throw it out here and let people check it out/critique it/mock it mercilessly.

Note: this really is a bit rough. I really have meant to go over it again, jazz up the history, check out some of the wonkier builds, that sort of thing. But I've been sitting on the writeup for a week, and if I don't post it soon, it'll never get posted... So I pass the results of my laziness on to you, the consumer!

:D

In any case, this is Uncle Samedi, a powerful undead villain created by Takofanes specifically to undermine the United States. Enjoy!

Uncle Samedi -

VAL...CHA...Cost...Total...Roll......Notes

50....STR.....40...50......19-.......HTH Damage 10d6 END [5]

20....DEX.....30...20......13-.......OCV 7 DCV 7

25....CON.....30...25......14-

15....BODY....10...15......12-

13....INT.....3...13......12-.......PER Roll 12-

20....EGO.....20...20......13-.......ECV: 7

30....PRE.....20...30......15-.......PRE Attack: 6d6

0....COM.....-5...0......9-

30....PD......20...30/50.............30/50 PD (30/50 rPD)

30....ED......25...30.............30 ED (30 rED)

6....SPD.....30...6.................Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

15....REC.....0...15

50....END.....0...50

100....STUN....47...100

11....RUN......10...11"/21"................END [2]

0....SWIM.....-2...0"................END [0]

10....LEAP.....0...10"................10" forward, 5" upward

CHA Cost: 278

Cost...POWERS

50.....Undying Form: LS: Total (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep) - END=0

30.....Undying Form: Damage Resistance (30 PD/30 ED) - END=0

30.....Undead Vitality: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% - END=0

30.....Undead Vitality: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% - END=0

6.....Undead Mind: Mental Defense (10 points total) - END=0

30.....Undead Army Corps: Summon 16 250-point Skeletal Soldiers, Loyal (+1/2) (105 Active Points); Limited Power (Only on battlefields where US soldiers have died; -1), OAF (Bone Fife; -1), Incantations (Play the fife; -1/4), Gestures (Play the fife & danse macabre; -1/4) - END=10

45.....Skeletal Claws: HKA 2d6 (4d6 w/STR), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (45 Active Points) - END=4

8.....Speak Softly...: Drain EGO 2d6 (20 Active Points); OAF (Creepy Ol' Baseball Bat; -1), Linked (And Carry a Big Stick!; -1/2) - END=2

80.....Necro-Patriotic Magicks: Multipower, 80-point reserve

1u.....1) And Carry a Big Stick!: HA +5d6 (25 Active Points); OAF (Creepy Ol' Baseball Bat; -1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) - END=2

3u.....2) Damn the Torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead!: (Total: 50 Active Cost, 35 Real Cost) Running +10" (16"/26" total) (Real Cost: 20) plus FF (20 PD), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only vs. Impact Damage; -1) (Real Cost: 15) - END=2

5u.....3) I Love the Smell of Brimstone in the Morning. Smells Like... Victory!: RKA 3d6, Area Of Effect Nonselective (18" Line; +3/4) (79 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) - END=8

8u.....4) Rockets' Red Glare, Bombs Bursting in Air: Sight and Hearing Groups Flash 7d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect Nonselective (5" Radius; +3/4) (80 Active Points) - END=8

8u.....5) The American Dream: Mental Illusions 16d6 (80 Active Points) - END=8

2u.....6) Amerika Uber Alles: Major Transform 2 1/2d6 (Modify/Add Psych Lims, Psionic Surgery), BOECV (Mental Defense applies; +1) (80 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, Only to Activate, -1), Limited Power (Only vs. Restrained Target; -1), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) - END=8

5u.....7) Shock & Awe!: Mind Control 12d6, Telepathic (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Set Effect (Run Away!; -1/2) - END=7

7u.....8) Don't Tread on Me!: EB 6d6, Damage Shield (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (75 Active Points) - END=7

5u.....9) Manifest Destiny: Aid PRE 5d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2) (75 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2) - END=0

POWERS Cost: 354

Cost...SKILLS

9......KS: US History 18-

3......Acrobatics 13-

3......Breakfall 13-

3......Analyze: Combat 12-

32......+4 with All Combat

1......Demolitions 8-

3......Interrogation 15-

0......Language: English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

3......Oratory 15-

3......Persuasion 15-

3......Tactics 12-

SKILLS Cost: 63

Value..DISADVANTAGES

20.....Susceptibility: Demonstrations of Sincere Idealism, 3d6 damage Instant (Common)

10.....Unluck: 2d6

10.....Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Holy Magic (Uncommon)

10.....Vulnerability: 2 x BODY Holy Magic (Uncommon)

10.....Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Holy Magic (Uncommon)

15.....Rivalry: Professional (Baron Samedi; Rival is More Powerful; Seek to Harm or Kill Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

25.....Distinctive Features: Evil Undead Uncle Sam (Not Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

20.....Psychological Limitation: Devoted to Takofanes (Common, Total)

20.....Psychological Limitation: Twisted American Nationalism (Common, Total)

10.....Psychological Limitation: Whimsical (Common, Moderate)

DISADVANTAGES Points: 150

Base Pts: 200

Exp Required: 345

Total Exp Available: 345

Exp Unspent: 0

Total Character Cost: 695

Background/History: Takofanes sat on his throne of skulls and contemplated what he had learned of this strange new era. Clearly, he had awakened in an age of heroes. Inconvenient. Still, there were stratagems that had proven reliable before. No doubt the kingdoms of this new world could be induced to fight among themselves. Certainly, the mightiest of these modern kingdoms, this 'United States of America', was ripe for manipulation, with their ridiculous form of government. The first step was obvious. He would have to create a symbol, and emblem of his coming rule, one that would echo the familiar iconography of his foes, but would serve Takofanes' own dark purposes. A dark ritual, a few sacrifices, the corpse of an embittered old drifter, and a new evil was unleashed on an unsuspecting world... Uncle Samedi, America's favorite grinning skeleton!

Personality/Motivation: Genial, avuncular, whimsical and viciously psychotic, Uncle Samedi is a disturbing and paradoxical villain. He is firmly committed to his self-image as a genuine patriot. Though his attitudes are frequently contradictory and illogical, he never suffers from self-doubt. Ultimately, his goal is to 'restore traditional American values', but those values somehow always wind up being derived from the most destructive and inexcusable episodes in American history. He thinks nothing of spewing racial and ethnic slurs, casually ignores the rights of anyone he doesn't consider 'a real American', and cheerfully changes his definition of 'real American' to suit his convenience. For instance, one day he may praise the local Mafia boss as 'a plucky immigrant, just the sort of man who built America into the greatest nation on Earth', the next the same man is dismissed as a 'no-good Aye-talian, sucking away the life-blood of America with his filthy crimes'. Uncle Samedi definitely believes that "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

Though he is devoted to Takofanes, Uncle Samedi is fundamentally a trickster. He tends to work independently as much because he irritates his ancient master as for any other reason.

Quote: "What's the matter, Private? Have you got a little boo-boo? Suck it up and soldier, soldier! Back to the front!"

Powers/Tactics: Uncle Samedi is a tough physical combatant, able to stand up to the punishment from several superheroes while simultaneously dishing out devasting hand-to-hand damage. Additionally, he has the ability to create undead armies by summoning up the corpses of American soldiers from battlegrounds and graveyards. He also encourages his foes to behave violently and recklessly, hoping to goad them into harming innocents or otherwise corrupt themselves. Finally, many of his necromantic magicks allow him to directly affect his opponent's minds and souls.

In combat, Uncle Samedi will often relies on his skeletal minions, preferring to hang back and taunt his foes while he assesses the situation. Generally, he will use his various mental attacks and distractions to disrupt his foes while the skeletal soldiers (and any psychically reconditioned civilians) do the fighting. If things look like they might be going badly for his minions, he will wade in, being particularly fond of move-throughs and move-bys backed up by his "Damn the Torpedoes..." power. If he sees a particularly threatening or tempting target, such as a flying blaster or a patriotic hero, he will attempt to use Mental Illusions to trick them into attacking their allies or innocent bystanders.

Uncle Samedi's greatest weakness is his Susceptibility to Idealism, whereby he can be 'psychically' harmed by the ideals of mortalkind (whether those ideals are patriotic, religious, or what have you). Essentially, any time a PC makes a Presence Attack or a monologue related to a sincerely-held ideal (especially one represented by a Strong or Total Psych Lim), or takes an action motiviated by such an ideal in Uncle Samedi's presence, Unc suffers 3d6 damage. This requires a certain amount of GM oversight, as players who are aware of this weakness can conceivably destroy Uncle Samedi just by talking to him. Try to keep it dramatic.

Campaign Use: Runs around committing various atrocities in the name of America. His primary campaign function would be to serve as a foil for super-patriots and flagsuits. Most of his plots involve summoning an army and invading a town or area in an attempt to conquer an objective of some sort, usually a landmark of historical significance. Uncle Samedi likes to encourage property destruction, particularly if it defaces or defiles a significant landmark or endangers innocent foreigners.

He's also fond of kidnapping troublesome heroes, their DNPCs, important public figures or even random pedestrians, and using his BoECV Transform to 're-educate' them, adding Psychological Limitations that suit his own twisted vision of America. Blind Nationalism, Intolerance of Foreigners, Uncontrollable Consumerism and the like are favorites. He uses such pawns to perform tasks beyond the intellect of his skeletal minions, and to round out his forces in his grand assaults.

Appearance: Uncle Samedi is a skeletal figure in old-fashioned garb that mimics Uncle Sam's star-spangled top-hat-and-tails look, but with a funereal motif (black, white, and crimson... Skulls instead of stars... so forth). Uncle Samedi is very vocal, and his speech is liberally salted with old patriotic slogans, film quotes and song lyrics, all chosen to inspire a twisted parody of patriotic fevor and a willingness to slaughter one's foes in the name of the United States.

Re: [CHAR] Uncle Samedi

And here are Uncle Samedi's Skeletal Soldiers. Even rougher and less-thought-out than their creator.

Uncle Samedi's Skeletal Soldiers -

VAL...CHA...Cost...Total...Roll......Notes

15....STR.....5...15......12-.......HTH Damage 3d6 END [1]

11....DEX.....3...11......11-.......OCV 4 DCV 4

10....CON.....0...10......11-

10....BODY....0...10......11-

5....INT.....-5...5......10-.......PER Roll 14-

3....EGO.....6...3......10-.......ECV: 1

15....PRE.....5...15......12-.......PRE Attack: 3d6

4....COM.....-3...4......10-

2....PD......3...2/10.............2/10 PD (0/8 rPD)

2....ED......3...2/10.............2/10 ED (0/8 rED)

2....SPD.....0...2.................Phases: 6, 12

5....REC.....0...5

0....END.....-10...0

6....RUN......0...6"................END [1]

0....SWIM.....-2...0"................END [0]

3....LEAP.....0...3"................3" forward, 1 1/2" upward

CHA Cost: 5

Cost...POWERS

45.....Skeletal Body: Automaton (Takes No STUN (loses abilities when takes BODY)) - END=0

7.....Untiring Body: Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) for up to 15 Active Points of STR (7 Active Points) - END=0

50.....Undead Vitality: LS (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep) - END=0

6.....Tireless: Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) for up to 12 Active Points of Running (6 Active Points) - END=0

1.....Tireless: Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) for up to 3 Active Points of Leaping (1 Active Points) - END=0

5.....See Life: IR Perception (Sight Group) - END=0

6.....+4 PER with all Sense Groups (12 Active Points); Limited Power (Only to Perceive Images Created by Means Other Than Necromancy; -1) - END=0

.....Undead Army Gear - END=

30.....1) Ghostly Gun: EB 4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), AVLD (Power Defense; +1 1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF (Historically Appropriate Firearm; -1) - END=0

48.....2) Tattered Uniform: Armor (8 PD/8 ED) (72 Active Points); OIF (Historically Appropriate Uniform; -1/2) - END=0

22.....3) Rusty Blade: HKA 2d6 (3d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); OAF (Historically Appropriate Melee Weapon; -1) - END=0

POWERS Cost: 220

Cost...SKILLS

3......Climbing 11-

0......Language: English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

1......KS: US History 8-

6......+2 with Undead Army Gear

3......Stealth 11-

6......WF: Common Melee Weapons, Early Firearms, Small Arms

3......Tactics 10-

3......Teamwork 11-

SKILLS Cost: 25

Value..DISADVANTAGES

30.....Vulnerability: 2 x BODY Blunt Weapons (Very Common)

20.....Psychological Limitation: Loyal To Uncle Samedi (Very Common, Strong)

DISADVANTAGES Points: 50

Base Pts: 200

Exp Required: 0

Total Exp Available: 0

Exp Unspent: 0

Total Character Cost: 250

I just repped you, but this too is on the rep list. :)

I like the image, and the build in general. Well done.

He does have some END issues if opperating at full power for more than a turn or so. Unless I wanted to keep that as a limiting factor, I'd probably pump up his CON.

I just repped you, but this too is on the rep list. :)

I like the image, and the build in general. Well done.

He does have some END issues if opperating at full power for more than a turn or so. Unless I wanted to keep that as a limiting factor, I'd probably pump up his CON.

Yeah, that could be an issue. Of course, I think it might be good, as you say, to reserve that as a limiting factor. With a pile of minions pre-summoned, a fight with this guy that goes more than 2-3 turns would tend to drag, anyhow.

Of course, if things are going badly enough, it might make sense to have a goofy 'second wind' Power on hand. Big pile of REC with one or two charges, perhaps. Gotta come up with a goofy catchphrase for it, though. There's gotta be a John Wayne quote I can dig up for that.

Consider yourself repped twice! That character kicks behind, even as a concept, let alone the mechanics!

I'd love to see a battle between Uncle Samedi and DC's Uncle Sam!

oryan

Yeah, that'd be the classic matchup. That or a heroic voodoo priest acting on behalf of Baron Samedi...

Zombie vs. Skeleton... Fight! :sneaky:

If I was feeling REALLY ambitious, I'd do individual writeups for the Skeletal Soldiers, based on old war movie cliches... I'd have all the ethnic stereotypes... An Irishman, an Italian, a Pole, a Jew, an All-American Farmboy (or maybe a Texan), Frenchie, the Swede... It'd be glorious.

It'd also be, you know, work. Bleah... :P

If I was feeling REALLY ambitious, I'd do individual writeups for the Skeletal Soldiers, based on old war movie cliches... I'd have all the ethnic stereotypes... An Irishman, an Italian, a Pole, a Jew, an All-American Farmboy (or maybe a Texan), Frenchie, the Swede... It'd be glorious.

Ok, now we're doing evil Uncle Sam and the evil Blackhawks. Oh my, I can't wait to see what evil Plastic Man looks like.......

What would you call him? Meltdown? Bak-a-lite?

oryan