Aikido throw

Re: Aikido throw

Ok, I think you have to go with the Triggered Martial Throw. The important thing to remember here is that this is probably *most* important when dealing with a speedster Move By or Move Through.

The whole point is that the Aikidoka should probably be able to put such an attacker on his back, imo without additional damage or perhaps reduced damge if s/he so chooses. The problem I have with a Held Action is that it implies that your Aikidoka needs to buy up to some obscene speed to be able to use it against multiple attackers where a Throw Triggered by a successful Block would be much more successful at representing a grab by the Aikidoka and make it possible for a SPD 4 Aikidoka to deal with a pair of SPD 6 attackers (which seems reasonable to me).

You could just go with Martial throw and if you have UMA Defensive throw (that can be aborted to...;))..and for the rest just buy DC's and pull vs weak foes (very much in the spirit of Aikido) or buy extra STR, only equal to the strength of my opponite, and get trashed buy low str martial arts masters and trash high strength foes with ease.....

Ok, I think you have to go with the Triggered Martial Throw. The important thing to remember here is that this is probably *most* important when dealing with a speedster Move By or Move Through.

The whole point is that the Aikidoka should probably be able to put such an attacker on his back, imo without additional damage or perhaps reduced damge if s/he so chooses. The problem I have with a Held Action is that it implies that your Aikidoka needs to buy up to some obscene speed to be able to use it against multiple attackers where a Throw Triggered by a successful Block would be much more successful at representing a grab by the Aikidoka and make it possible for a SPD 4 Aikidoka to deal with a pair of SPD 6 attackers (which seems reasonable to me).

Probably true, but I don't think the Aikidoka would be laying a mass of attacks flat out by throwing them. At best they'd just be blocking and dodging. Though it's a bit of a house rule, I'd allow the Abort element on a Defensive Throw (which does no damage).

Probably true' date=' but I don't think the Aikidoka would be laying a mass of attacks flat out by throwing them. At best they'd just be blocking and dodging. Though it's a bit of a house rule, I'd allow the Abort element on a Defensive Throw (which does no damage).[/quote']

Well, even if the Martial Throw were Triggered by a successful Block, another attack roll would be required for it after the Block, so it's not like every single successful Block would decimate the attacker unless the character's OCV is really high (though I suppose if you really wanted to do that you could add Area of Effect: One Hex Accurate or something).

I don't have UMA handy ...but I beleive it is built as Block with the throw element added and may be strike to do base damage...that would make it abortable and it "persists" till your next action (like all blocks do)...even if it does not do damage and just tosses people gently onto the ground, the SFX is totally in tune....

I don't have UMA handy ...but I beleive it is built as Block with the throw element added and may be strike to do base damage...that would make it abortable and it "persists" till your next action (like all blocks do)...even if it does not do damage and just tosses people gently onto the ground' date=' the SFX is totally in tune....[/quote']

If you are referring to the Defensive Throw maneuver, then no. Abort is a different element than Block or Dodge and doesn't necessarily come with either. As listed in the book, the Defensive Block maneuver comes with the Block and Target Falls elements, while Martial Block comes with the Block and Abort elements.

Coming with the Block element, I think that once you begin to Defensive Throw, you can continue to use them against further attacks like a normal Block. The only catch is that you can't Abort to it and must use a Held Action to use it for defense.

If you are referring to the Defensive Throw maneuver, then no. Abort is a different element than Block or Dodge and doesn't necessarily come with either. As listed in the book, the Defensive Block maneuver comes with the Block and Target Falls elements, while Martial Block comes with the Block and Abort elements.

Coming with the Block element, I think that once you begin to Defensive Throw, you can continue to use them against further attacks like a normal Block. The only catch is that you can't Abort to it and must use a Held Action to use it for defense.

I totally missed that...I agree with the beleif that it "persists" because thats what blocks do......but I thought Block came ready made with abort built in...so you would need a held action then, but an Aikidoka should be a "wait then react" style fighter anyway....

I was thinking about this character idea last night...I think I'd go with...

Defensive Throw

Grapling Block

Take down

Martial Hold

Joint lock/Throw

as my base manuvers and modify for taste, then add extra DC's to get to the games average damage...it does feel strange to not have good old Martial throw on that list though.....