More Japanese Monster

yamamura

The following is inspired by an epidose of Scary True Stories. It is a collection of ghost stories told in Japan. While not as scary as Ringu or other bigger budget Japanese movies unless you put yourself in the frame of mind tha ghost do exist. It is thiugh interesting based on the cultural aspects. I would recommend it to any who is interested in some true ghost stories from Japan. Also important to note that the tales here were filmed in the early 1990's even before Ringu was made.

[b]Be Gone Hag - [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
10    STR     0   10      11-       HTH Damage 2d6  END [1]
18    DEX     24   18      13-       OCV 6 DCV 6
10    CON     0   10      11-
8    BODY    -4   8      11-
10    INT     0   10      11-       PER Roll 11-
20    EGO     20   20      13-       ECV: 7
30    PRE     20   30      15-       PRE Attack: 6d6
6    COM     -2   6      10-
5    PD      3   5             5 PD (0 rPD)
5    ED      3   5             5 ED (0 rED)
3    SPD     2   3                 Phases:  4, 8, 12
4    REC     0   4
20    END     0   20
20    STUN    2   20
0    RUN      -12   0"                END [0]
0    SWIM     -2   0"                END [0]
0    LEAP     -2   0"                0" forward, 0" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 52[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
17     [b][i]Call from the Grave[/i][/b]: connects with the Phone System (Radio Group), Perceive into Anoyo (Afterworld) - END=0
22     [b][i]Can Affect this World as well as the Next[/i][/b]: Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Affects Physical World (+2) (22 Active Points) applied to STR - END=
45     [b][i]Ghostly Form[/i][/b]: Desolidification , Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (90 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2) [Notes: Affected by Magic] - END=0
25     [b][i]Ghostly Form[/i][/b]: Does Not Bleed and No Hit Location (25 Active Points) - END=0
27     [b][i]Ghostly Movements[/i][/b]: Flight 6", Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (27 Active Points) - END=0
50     [b][i]Ghostly Vitality[/i][/b]: LS  (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep) - END=0
45     [b][i]Mimics[/i][/b]: Shape Shift  (Hearing Group, any voice), Instant Change, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points) - END=0
60     [b][i]Vanishing[/i][/b]: Invisibility to Sight, Hearing and Smell/Taste Groups , No Fringe, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points) - END=0
53     [b][i]Warn a Friend[/i][/b]: Mind Control 8d6, Telepathic (+1/4), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; When She is repulsed; +3/4) (80 Active Points); Set Effect (Call a different Friend; -1/2) - END=8

[b]POWERS Cost: 344[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
20     Physical Limitation:  Repulsed by shouting "Hag Begone!" (Frequently, Fully Impairing)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Cannot enter a dwelling unless a window or door is opened for them (Common, Total)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Singleminded (Very Common, Strong)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 60[/b]

Base Pts: 75
Exp Required: 261
Total Exp Available: 261
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 396

A friend of mine was alone one night, when the phone rang; it was from a friend of hers named Yuki. Yuki had called to warn my friend that the Hag would be coming to my friend’s house next and that my friend needed to be prepared. Well my friend scoffed at her saying that she didn’t believe in such nonsense but Yuki was persistent. She told her not to open the window if anybody knocked or call out my friend’s name in a familiar voice, for to do so would mean death. But even if you didn’t listen to those warnings and had opened the window, there was still a way to be saved. You must shout “Be gone Hag†and if you do so she will leave.

Well my friend thought this was all a bunch of nonsense and told Yuki that and hung up. Right after that the phone rang again. My friend answered it and could hear sounds that sound ghostly to her. Figuring that this was just a trick of Yuki, she hung up the phone even though the call left her a little disturb. She was about to back to her homework, when there came a knock on her window. My friend approached the window but hesitated to open it. Then she heard Yuki’s voice calling her name. Now she knew Yuki must be behind it and so threw open the curtain and the window but instead of Yuki there was a hideous evil looking hag.

My friend quickly closed the window and the curtains but it was too late the hag could now enter. She shouted for it to please stay out but the creature kept coming in. Then in the middle of her panic, she remembered what Yuki had said and shouted, “be gone Hag!†Suddenly it was quiet and the hag had left. My friend then knew that she needed to call another friend of hers to warn them of the hag’s coming. Now my friend isn’t know for flight of fancy and is quite honest, so I know that if she said it happened it did….

This monster is based on the episode: Be Gone Crone from 10 Scary True Stories and a modified yurei from the Asian Bestiary. She single mindedly haunts for pray to take with her into the land of the dead through the connection we have with each other via the phone. On the whole a pretty easy monster to dispel if you know the proper ritual (hope your wireless doesn’t drop the call).

Once again I want to thanks Michael Surbrook's Asian Bestiary for the foundation of the character. Any comments, criticism or advice is welcomed. Next up Kuma Onna (a made up Urban Legend) fron J-Horror Legends.

Re: More Japanese Monster

The "Call from the Grave, connects to the phone system" is nicely done. I remember an episode of the Twilight zone and an 80's flick called (I think) "Dial 666-Evil" which had a similar gimmick. Why wouldn't ghosts use the phone system?

"Warn a Friend" as a mind control? So the PC affected by it HAS to make the call? You don't allow them to RP it?

The following is inspired by an epidose of Scary True Stories. It is a collection of ghost stories told in Japan. While not as scary as Ringu or other bigger budget Japanese movies unless you put yourself in the frame of mind tha ghost do exist. It is thiugh interesting based on the cultural aspects. I would recommend it to any who is interested in some true ghost stories from Japan. Also important to note that the tales here were filmed in the early 1990's even before Ringu was made.

Once again I want to thanks Michael Surbrook's Asian Bestiary for the foundation of the character. Any comments, criticism or advice is welcomed. Next up Kuma Onna (a made up Urban Legend) fron J-Horror Legends.

I like her. :)

What are her actual goals (if any). Does she just make prank phone calls, or...?

Okay let us try this again. I forgot big time to post the background area. So now that it is added to the post, I think it will be a little more clearer. I really should edit my own work better or get somebody to do it for me...

Narratio:

I add the compulsion idea, because watching it, the hag almost acts virus-like. Once you get warned, she comes after you and once you warn somebody it goes after them. That is why I added the MC, though I am not totally sure I like it either. Any other suggestions to change it is welcome.

Oddhat:

Now that I have the story listed the Hags goals should be a little clearer. Sorry about not having them there. By all appearance from the story, she is out to take souls with her to the underworld.

I hope that makes things clearer....

Oddhat:

Now that I have the story listed the Hags goals should be a little clearer. Sorry about not havving them there. By all appearance from the story, she is out to take souls with her to the underworld.

I hope that makes things clearer....

Thanks, that helps. :)

Re: More Japanese Monsters

The next monster is from the movie J-Horror Legends in the episode titled Kuma Onna. While 3 of the stories are actually based on legends (including The Peony Lantern) this one is an artificial creation for the television series this film is based on.

Kuma Onna

-Run Away from the She-Bear…

In certain neighborhood in Tokyo there is a legend of a creature called the She-Bear. Numerous warnings are posted throughout the neighborhood warning you to run from the She-Bear if you happen to meet her. The first sign that you are nearing her is a stench that fills the air and then the sounds of small pieces of metal hitting each other (though she can move in such a way to deafen these). If you didn’t take these warnings and headed away from her, you will soon meet up with the She-Bear. She appears as a street person in rags and furs holding an old teddy bear. She also has pieces of jewelry hanging from her and has a pair of large scissors ready. If view up close she is quite hideous appearing almost zombie like. She speaks to herself in a rhyming sing song fashion about who she is meeting before giving chase. Once she has you in her site, she tends to be a dogged hunter. She will follow you until either she gets what she wants or by some chance you actually elude her.

The reason for her hunting is the acquiring of accessories of metals and jewels. Once she catches up with you she will either use her hideous strength and skill or scissors to take the body part that contains the item she wants. She will rip out hair to get a barrette, cut ears and fingers to get rings and earrings and one can only imagine what she would remove to get a necklace. Once she has the pieces, she is distracted as she puts them into her bear (though she does wear some herself) as she sings about roughly mixing and roughly kneading. If her precious bear is knocked away from her spilling her trinkets, she will be distracted as she repacks the bear. She also can be distracted by throwing coins as the metal in them makes her stop to see if they are what she is after. Now if you don’t wear jewelry of course, she will ignore you but if you do; she will come after you unless you throw it all away. So run away from the She-Bear!

Ps. she has no idea of value and is as likely to steal a cheap ring as she is to take an expensive ring.

[b]Kuma Onna (She Bear) - [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
33    STR     23   33      16-       HTH Damage 6 1/2d6  END [7]
18    DEX     24   18      13-       OCV 6 DCV 6
18    CON     16   18      13-
12    BODY    4   12      11-
13    INT     3   13      12-       PER Roll 12-/16-
14    EGO     8   14      12-       ECV: 5
20    PRE     10   20      13-       PRE Attack: 4d6
0    COM     -5   0      9-
9    PD      2   9             9 PD (4 rPD)
4    ED      0   4             4 ED (4 rED)
4    SPD     12   4                 Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12
11    REC     0   11
36    END     0   36
38    STUN    0   38
7    RUN      2   7"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
7    LEAP     0   6 1/2"                6 1/2" forward, 3" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 99[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
30     [b][i]Bakemono Nature[/i][/b]: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% - END=0
30     [b][i]Bakemono Nature[/i][/b]: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% - END=0
4     [b][i]Bear Like Senses[/i][/b]: +2 PER with Smell/Taste Group - END=0
4     [b][i]Bear-like Toughness[/i][/b]: Damage Resistance (4 PD/4 ED) - END=0
20     [b][i]Can find you even in total darkness[/i][/b]: Targeting with Hearing Group - END=0
5     [b][i]Can see in the Dark[/i][/b]: Nightvision - END=0
12     [b][i]Claw-Like Hands[/i][/b]: HKA 1d6 (2d6 w/STR) (15 Active Points); Reduced Penetration (-1/4) - END=1
4     [b][i]Hears like a Bear[/i][/b]: +2 PER with Hearing Group - END=0
5     [b][i]Her Scissors[/i][/b]: HKA 1d6-1 (1d6+1 w/STR) (10 Active Points); OAF (-1) - END=1
4     [b][i]Fangs[/i][/b]: HKA 1 point (1/2d6 w/STR) (5 Active Points); Reduced Penetration (-1/4) - END=1
50     [b][i]Obake Vitality[/i][/b]: LS  (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep) - END=0
10     [b][i]What Bear can't smell...[/i][/b]: Tracking with Smell/Taste Group - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 178[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
2      +2 with her scissors
3      AK: Her Territory 12-
3      Climbing 13-
3      Concealment 12-
3      Shadowing 12-
9      Stealth 16-
2      Survival (Urban) 12-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 25[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
2      Reputation:  As a Bakemono (in her territory) 11-, +2/+2d6

[b]PERKS Cost: 2[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
20     Distinctive Features:  Very Strong Stench (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15     Physical Limitation:  Very Near Sighted (All the Time, Slightly Impairing)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Must collect Jewelry for her and her Bear (Common, Total)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 55[/b]

Base Pts: 75
Exp Required: 174
Total Exp Available: 174
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 304

Criticism are always welcome....

Once again I used a beast from AB 2 called the Yasha to build this creature from....

Just curious.

One question about the Be gone hag. If she is after you, you yell be gone hag. This means she is no longer after you, right? Well, if she goes after the one you warn, and you warn no one, wouldnt that mean that the cycle is ended?

Just curious.

One question about the Be gone hag. If she is after you, you yell be gone hag. This means she is no longer after you, right? Well, if she goes after the one you warn, and you warn no one, wouldnt that mean that the cycle is ended?

Unfortunately not having access to the actual Urban Legend this is based on, I can't really say. Though your comment is a good point and something I too have pondered it. That is one of the reasons for the mind control power. But perhaps the presence of hag causes a sort of precognition in the its current victim to know who the hag will go after next and of course using the theories of like calling to like the next target of the Hag will be a friend. This could be bad for the friend if the two of you have recently had a fight and you decide not to call. The other part of the legend is who was her first victim and how did they know what to say? Maybe, they shouted the term by accident. Of course this is all theory and when it comes to Urban Legends, they seem to operate on an assume logic and not that of reality.