Magic System Question #3

Kortay Mirlor

I'm working on a spell that the caster casts on a "photo" and it moves and shows what happened at the place at the time or up to 2 days earlier/later. Retro Clairsentience Normal Sight, lasts a coupld minutes

Do you think I should add Images because anyone can see the moving picture, or just call it special effects?

Re: Magic System Question #3

Good question. Could be done with Usable by Others and/or Area Effect I suppose. Something like:

Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), Usable As Attack (x8 maximum weight per inanimate target; +1 3/4) (110 Active Points); One Sense Only, Normal Sight (-1/4), Fixed Perception Point (-1), Limited Power Recipients must remain within 2" of Target "photograph" (-1/4), Limited Power Whatever Spell Lims you use (+var)

44 CP not counting your 'normal' spell lims. I chose usable as an attack as the caster would have control over the clairsentience. If its not a big deal you could drop it down to Useable Simultaneously.

Good question. Could be done with Usable by Others and/or Area Effect I suppose. Something like:

Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), Usable As Attack (x8 maximum weight per inanimate target; +1 3/4) (110 Active Points); One Sense Only, Normal Sight (-1/4), Fixed Perception Point (-1), Limited Power Recipients must remain within 2" of Target "photograph" (-1/4), Limited Power Whatever Spell Lims you use (+var)

44 CP not counting your 'normal' spell lims. I chose usable as an attack as the caster would have control over the clairsentience. If its not a big deal you could drop it down to Useable Simultaneously.

UAA is the wrong feel. I want something that can be seen by anyone around, not something that might be seen by some folx around. Also, in your version nothing says folx who see see it IN the photo.

No dice.

Anyone got opinion on my question the way I asked it?

UAA is the wrong feel. I want something that can be seen by anyone around' date=' not something that [i']might[/i] be seen by some folx around.

I think UAA is the best base build. It allows the character to control the power while others are "forced" to benefit from it. However, I think a nonselective area of effect would add in the concept that anyone looking the right way gets the benefit of the clairsentience. Make it a cone, since you can't see the photo if you're standing behind it, and waive the attack rolls for anyone deciding to look at the picture, since they're waiving their DCV.

Also' date=' in your version nothing says folx who see [i']see it IN the photo.[/i]

That's just SFX of the power - the power causes the photo to move back and forth, so you only see things in the photo.

No dice.

No attack roll, and no damage roll anyway. Maybe a PER roll if they're not paying attention to the photo. ;)

Anyone got opinion on my question the way I asked it?

Aren't WE the tactful one :rolleyes:

No one thinks "its special effects" cuts it? 'Sokay' date=' I'll go w/Images.[/quote']

I think it's just special effects. Anyone looking in the right direction at the right spot not only might see it, but they *will* see it. It has as many drawbacks as advantages. Someone you don't want to see it might be peeking in, or they might grab the moving photo out of your hand and look at it. It might reveal something you want kept private.

OK 1 vote Images 1 vote Special Effects. :)

I'l wait and see who else votes. ;)

How many votes for Usable as an Attack - Area Effect? Looks like 2 (me and Cosmo). Thinking on it, if it's just images moving in the picture, I'd say 1 hex AoE covers it - it's tough to see what's in the photo if you're 10 meters away. Maybe Any Area (limited hexes, and it depends how the character holds up the picture).

I'm inclined to put it under "special effects."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary claims Lucius Alexander is just a special effect of the palindromedary

If it only will have minor effects, I'd toss it under SFX. However, I see several advantages to other characters seeing the moving picture, including:

- the other person viewing the picture now has more than the Clairsentient's words to go on as they saw it with their own eyes [assumes they believe he's not just creating illusions, of course, but a photo of the person's own choosing which he can also rewind would provide pretty good proof his powers are what he says they are]

- can he make a record of the images in the photo? eg videotape it? "Actually, I do have proof you weren't where you say you were two hours prior to your daughter's wedding, Mrs. Blair. Perhaps we should show release the video of what you were up to on the internet - or you could choose to cooperate with our investigation..."

- by showing the picture around, our Clairsentient stands a chance of getting info he could not obtain on his own. Perhaps the murdered man's daughter recognizes the man who shot him by some small subtlety that Clairsentient Man would never even have thought to mention - and CSM would never otherwise have encountered the murderer.

The ability to permit others to see the past replay effectively enables them to use the power - that's a significant advantage that shouild carry a point cost.

OK been thinking more on this. Realized it's important the caster can choose if he's letting other people see it too.

Special Effects is out. Usable Simultaniously would have to be a Naked Adv. So Images is what's left.

Why would Usable Sim be a naked adder? I don't believe the character HAS to designate anyone else to use the power at the same time. He just has the ability to do so.

Why would Usable Sim be a naked adder? I don't believe the character HAS to designate anyone else to use the power at the same time. He just has the ability to do so.

Hero System Fifth Edition[/i] page 157]You must always use the Advantages purchased for a Power at full strength whenever you use that Power.

Same book, page 176, under Usable Simultaneously has got nothing contradictory.

Though I think you're idea's got better sense. I'm gonna House Rule it like that for Usable By Other and Usable Sim. Usable As Attack I'll keep like the book.

Same book' date=' page 176, under [b']Usable Simultaneously[/b] has got nothing contradictory.

Though I think you're idea's got better sense. I'm gonna House Rule it like that for Usable By Other and Usable Sim. Usable As Attack I'll keep like the book.

It's always usable by another. That doesn't mean you have to have another using it, IMO. Just like Personal Immunity doesn't require you to attack yourself.

OK been thinking more on this. Realized it's important the caster can choose if he's letting other people see it too.

And does that really require an Advantage? If he doesn't want anyone else to see it, he just holds it close and makes sure no one is looking over his shoulder. It seems to me this is only an issue if you're worried about Invisible/Concealed people looking in, or people using Telescopic Vision or Clairsentience to see it from afar.

And does that really require an Advantage? If he doesn't want anyone else to see it' date=' he just holds it close and makes sure no one is looking over his shoulder. It seems to me this is only an issue if you're worried about Invisible/Concealed people looking in, or people using Telescopic Vision or Clairsentience to see it from afar.[/quote']

Well, wouldn't you worry about that kinda thing in a magically powerful universe??