Teleportation: Fiction or Fact?

schir1964

Re: Teleportation: Fiction or Fact?

They're making progress. They were teleporting individual particles a few years ago.

They're also closing in on the "quantam computer" a computer whose microchips can talk to each other without having to bridge the gaps with electrical impulses. But that is also in its infant stages. We might see it in my lifetime though(I'm 32 for the record).

They're also closing in on the "quantam computer" a computer whose microchips can talk to each other without having to bridge the gaps with electrical impulses. But that is also in its infant stages. We might see it in my lifetime though(I'm 32 for the record).

You're more optimistic than I am... of course, I'm also closing in on being eight years your senior... :angel:

My friend was going to do graduate work on quantum-mechanical teleportation. I'm not sure if he actually did or not.

I will remain skeptical for now. I have the feeling that this will NOT allow faster-than-light communication. There are already aspects of light waves that appear to travel faster than the speed of light (phase speed), but it turns out you cannot use it to send information. The quantum-mechanical notion of taking two paired particles with opposite/same spin and, "forcing," one into a state from afar by observing the other is a completely bogus one based on faulty logic: the gotcha is that you have information to begin with (you know the relationship between the spins of the particles, even if you don't happen to know the actual spins and must thus treat them like they no in no/all states).

Oh, I don't see it coming all that soon, but I remember reading an article a few years ago where they had gotten particles or microchips or something to apparently "talk" to each other without using an electrical signal in between. It was very, very basic but it was a start.

I'll wait.

Keith "It'll be here shortly after room temperature superconductors and cold fusion" Curtis

Rumor mill in the computer industry says that IBM made a supercomputer for the NSA (no such agency) a few years ago. About 1000x faster than anything else made. I have read about this in several computer magazines, could be wishful thinking or maybe truth.

The reason I put stock in it, IBM patented the ability to use tunneling electron microscopes to make molecules. They understand quantum mechanics as well as anybody on the planet.