Say, was that a half phase or not?

Tech

I've only run into this problem a couple times and finally decided to see what everyone else thought. An Area Effect Entangle was thrown on the P.C.'s? Does only one person have to break out or do each PC have to break out? After someone has done a Grab manuever and is now just using STR to hold onto the person, if the person grabbed breaks free using their own STR, is that a half-move or full-move?

I'm at work and 95% brain dead. This morning I was 99%.

Re: Say, was that a half phase or not?

Originally posted by Tech

I've only run into this problem a couple times and finally decided to see what everyone else thought. An Area Effect Entangle was thrown on the P.C.'s? Does only one person have to break out or do each PC have to break out? After someone has done a Grab manuever and is now just using STR to hold onto the person, if the person grabbed breaks free using their own STR, is that a half-move or full-move?

I'm at work and 95% brain dead. This morning I was 99%.

AE: Each person has to break out, or be broken out, individually.

Grab: It's a half-phase, non-attack action. If the person grabbed can break out using "Casual Strength" (half their Strength score), it's a zero-phase action. Yes, you can attempt a Casual Strength roll and then spend the half-phase if you fail...

Re the first question I would go beyond the answer just given and while I agree with it as a general rule (and I understand it probably is the general rule) you'd still have to weigh in on special effects. If a tight rope is wound around everyone at once (rather than wrapping around each individually or being a mess of ropes that are hard to get out of in general) then when someone snaps it, all can go free.

I know, this is obvious, but because I'm not sure of the intent of the question I am throwing it in.

Here's a second question, or more of a validation...

Player wanted to make an AOE Entangle that was surrounding an area or person in a HUGE ball of Stone. He had thought that a character would have to fight his way out of each hex worth of entangle before engaging but I said that as long as he breaks free of the first entangle, he is free.

To get this effect, would it need to be AOE Radius Entangle Sticky, Continuous?

Player is in the center of the ball. he breaks free of the Entangle there. Now, if he moves one hex, he is entangled again. If he remains still, he is not entangled but he cannot attack anyone as he is still surrounded by entangle.

Don't know how to make it...